Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #127

Vintage RV Owners Club
As far as electric heaters go I bought the heat strip kit for my over head AC early on before I had a working/safe furnace and it did me a lot of good. I still use it to supplement my propane furnace. It puts out as much as a regular space heater but with more air flow and it's always out of the way + the over head AC unit has it's own dedicated circuit.

I also use a small cube heater if I need to keep my feet warm. I turn it down to 1000 watts or even the low 600 watt setting to be sure I'm never drawing close to the max 30 amps in conjunction with the overhead unit. I've never left the cube heater running unattended but have done so plenty of times with the overhead since I trust it more.

major downside to the heat strip kit for my particular overhead is it is either on or off. there is no thermostatic control. if it had that I would like it a lot better. but as it is it does actually help a lot when you want to heat up the coach in the morning and also on really cold nights to blow warm air over the bed area.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #128

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We're hooked up with a 50 amp line, direct wired to a separate breaker circuit. Using one small 1500 watt heater shouldn't be a problem. Good news, the furnace is ready. Bad news, it's ready to the tune of $407! Can we say wow?! After throwing parts at it with no improvement, the guy shoots extra air in the intake and it burns blue. The motor we replaced doesn't blow enough fresh air for the gas flow! Guy changes to a smaller orifice, viola! Clean burn. Still have to pay for the unnecessary parts and labor for installing them. Chaps my donkey!
Old 02-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCathy71 View Post
Well, no furnace as of today. Maybe Monday. On the other hand, life in the tiny house is GREAT! We're down to 8 dogs. My sister took in one, my son took in one, and my foster dog moved to another foster home. I'm enjoying cooking and the fact that in 15 minutes or less, I can clean the entire house, dishes and all!Attachment 119434
8 dogs
Old 02-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #130

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCathy71 View Post
We're hooked up with a 50 amp line, direct wired to a separate breaker circuit. Using one small 1500 watt heater shouldn't be a problem. Good news, the furnace is ready. Bad news, it's ready to the tune of $407! Can we say wow?! After throwing parts at it with no improvement, the guy shoots extra air in the intake and it burns blue. The motor we replaced doesn't blow enough fresh air for the gas flow! Guy changes to a smaller orifice, viola! Clean burn. Still have to pay for the unnecessary parts and labor for installing them. Chaps my donkey!

I replaced my whole furnace with a new old stock surplus one for about 500. New would have been 800. Then 200 in labor and 50 in miscellaneous parts to put it in. Could be a lot worse.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #131

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
8 dogs
Yep, 3 dachshunds, 1 chihuahua/dachshund mix, 1rat/fox terrier, 1 miniature schnauzer, 1german/Australian shepherd mix, and an old English bulldog. The 6 smaller ones get up out of the way. The two big boys make it fun to get around.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #132

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
I replaced my whole furnace with a new old stock surplus one for about 500. New would have been 800. Then 200 in labor and 50 in miscellaneous parts to put it in. Could be a lot worse.
I agree, it could have been a lot worse. I'm looking forward to getting it finished!
Old 02-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #133

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
8 dogs
This is what feeding time looks like in our tiny home.
http://youtu.be/LcQgvvMWFE4
Old 02-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #134

Vintage RV Owners Club
This will be us in a few days! Same park, in the spot next to the one in the picture and our RV is a bit longer. GREAT sunset views!
Name:   image.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  22.7 KB
Old 02-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #135

Vintage RV Owners Club
Cool. Hope you have a lot of fun.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #136

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
Cool. Hope you have a lot of fun.
Thanks, I'm sure we will. Between fishing, crawfish, and all bills paid for $360 a month with views like that! Nothing but ☀️🌹!
Old 02-27-2016, 06:20 AM   #137

Vintage RV Owners Club
Good news! The temperature dropped to the low 30's here the last 2 nights. Nope, that's not the good news. Good news is that we stayed TOASTY! Getting used to the tight quarters with the dogs has been way easier than I expected. The only one having problems with the move is the old man. He's 15, and for a shepherd mix, that in itself is a challenge. He's got bad hips to start with, then he started developing a degenerative nerve disease making his rear end weak. Those things combined with the new, very slick flooring, make it hard for him to get up and down. We've put down carpet runners, that helps, but they slide! Any tips for how to make them stay put? Maybe glue some rubber to the back?
Also, does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for the electrical circuits in this thing? Some of the lights aren't working, like the porch light and floor lighting. We have the chassis diagram and all the books for the appliances, but nothing shows how the bus is wired for electricity.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #138

Vintage RV Owners Club
Unless you can get some kind of documentation from the original manufacturer that might be floating around out there I'm not sure such a thing exists other than taking it apart and finding out how the sausage was made. As far as figuring out what is on which circuit that should be easily doable by testing each breaker/fuse one by one until you know what is on which circuit/fuse combo.

If it's the automotive part there may be some docs on how the chassis is supposed to be wired. (I would like to look that up myself since everything under the dash is an ugly rats nest that makes no sense at all to me.)

I'm glad you're getting good use out of your propane furnace BTW.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #139

Vintage RV Owners Club
LOVING this hot water heater! I woke up with a sore shoulder. I thought taking a hot shower might help. I wasn't expecting more than about 5 minutes of water at the temp I set it at. I was able to sit very comfortably on the bench and lean against the wall with the shower head adjusted low and aimed directly onto the sore spot for 10-15 minutes before it ran cold. 10 gallons goes farther than I thought.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #140

Vintage RV Owners Club
Another beautiful day today. Great weather, clear skies all day, temp in the mid 70's. Looking forward to moving this week. We should be lakeside by Friday at the latest. Can't wait to wake up to that view! Happy camping to all!