Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCathy71 View Post
We're going through the same thing. Leaked by the power antenna opening, wicked all the way to the rear hallway. Doing away with the antenna and recoating the roof first thing. Any particular brand of coating to look for?
Anything that is compatible with EDPM rubber roof material would be my guess.

I've been using something called plas-t-cote that the local RV dealer sold me but I'm still not 100% sure I have my leaks tracked down until it rains again and I can test it.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:02 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I love it, she's a beauty Presedential or not a beauty.
If that 427 is anything like my 429 in my 64 then you got power I can get 15 feet of rubber and that's with the possi going. I don't care about mileage I just love driving something with POWER and like too go..
My 454 in the MH is fun and sounds wonderful.
Have fun with the restore. Might be interested after you get into the new house .That is if your willing to separate with her.
Look forward too some Pictures.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #32

We just did a Southwind with liquid roof which is a rubber in a can product.

Be sure to use the epoxy primer and do 2 coats of the primer as you cannot prep and primer in a day.

You prep and primer areas at a time until all prepped then let primer cure until hard.

Then primer whole thing at once and wait a day or 2 until primer tacky then apply rubber.

We made another post with whole process.

The coffee cans we used for applying small areas had a layer that once cured came our and maintained the shape of the can (plastic non stick) and it was strong stuff.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We're working on getting the ceiling down today. Got the pop down bed out yesterday, what was left of it. It seems most of the water leak was above it, the mattress is toast, all the "wood board products " have turned to mud, and the ceiling came down with it. Total rebuild up there. I've gotten new material for drapes throughout and will spend my evenings making them. Thank you all for the compliments and advice. I'll post more pictures later.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Cathy post pics......
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #35

Hi CajunCathy71,

I love you’re enthusiasm and appreciate that you and your hubby are doing the work yourselves. I speak from experience when I say that that’s the only way to keep your new acquisition from becoming a serious money pit. My Holiday Rambler is a standard 1994 33’ Vacationer, HR’s cheapest model. I purchased it two years ago for $3,500 and it’s been a humbling experience making it ship-shape after it endured 19 years of upstate New York winters, as well as neglect and abuse by its former owner. Over $6,500 worth of parts later I feel that I’m finally reaching the stage where I have an RV I can reliably take anywhere. I say all this because I’m giving you advice garnered from all my work and my 5,200 mile Western United States Grand American Tour and Shakedown Journey. My journey began in San Marcos TX, went to Port Angeles WA and ended back in San Marcos TX with an engine replacement I did myself (with help from friends).

1. Your RV with its 427 V8 gasoline engine is underpowered for mountain driving. Not an insult, just a reality, BTW my 460 V8 is too. Purchase a copy of Mountain Directory http://www.mountaindirectory.com/ and plan your route to Washington accordingly. Just don’t be in a hurry on long upgrades and take downgrades very slowly as well, using your transmission as much as possible. If they make exhaust headers for your rig, buy them, you’ll appreciate the added horsepower.

2. Change out your DOT 3 brake fluid for DOT 5.1 (not 5.0). DOT 5.1 is a severe-duty hi-temperature brake fluid. If you go to the auto parts in Monroe LA they won’t know what you’re talking about since it’s mainly used to prevent brake fade in mountainous terrane. When I ordered it through O’Reilly AP’s in San Marcos I had to bring a search page from O’Reilly’s own website to prove to them that they sold it! This one tip could save your life!

3. Check your tires age, if they’re over 7 years old consider replacing them, no matter how much tread is left. While I’m on the subject of tires, purchase a set of tire pressure/temperature monitors. They not only may warn you of impending tire failure but also things such as overheating brakes on long downgrades, as well as dragging brake shoes/calipers. Mine cost $300, I bought the cheap one’s. I recommend paying extra for the deluxe ones that are mounted inside your rims. Whether you go cheap or deluxe they’re worth it! BTW after having a bearing collapse on my tow dolly traveling through Kansas I now wish I’d gotten them for my tow dolly as well. The monitors would’ve caught the overheating bearing. As it was I caught it while in a rest area.

4. Make certain your sway bars are in good shape. Mine were totally shot and for 5,200 miles every time a semi would pass me I’d be hit by an annoying push/pull. I finally replaced the sway bar bushings and on my latest trip from San Marcos TX to Sierra Vista AZ no more push/pull, even with semi’s roaring by at speeds in excess of 85mph. The same goes for shocks. BTW if you do your own mechanical work I strongly suggest that you purchase a powerful electric or air impact wrench. You’ll need it for the Godzilla sized fasteners you’ll find on the underside of your RV.

5. One last tip, when you’re traveling in your RV get in the habit of doing an RV/toad walk-around every time you stop. Never take it for granted that things are okay with your rig. When I caught the failed bearing in my tow dolly it was my second stop in 35 miles. I’d stopped earlier overnight at a rest area. When I awoke I drank a lot of coffee and 35 miles down the road I had to stop for the inevitable nature call. That’s when I caught the bad tow dolly wheel bearing; 35 miles earlier it looked just fine. I have no doubt that within another mile or two I’d have lost the wheel completely. Lesson learned - ALWAYS do a walk-around when you stop.

I’m sure there are other things I could add, all I can say is that you have a beautiful classic RV and that I’m certain you’ll find many places to go with it out in Washington. Lots of adventures!

Steve

PS If you can, find your RV's service records. With the amount of work your RV's engine has to do 50K is quite a few miles, particularly if your RV had an owner like mine who didn't keep up with service and maintenance needs. You hear of these rigs going 100k but that's from having responsible owners, an irresponsible owner can quickly turn them to junk. I know that for a fact!
Old 12-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the wonderful advice and tips! While I'm a newbie to RV'ing, thank heavens my husband isn't. 😉😍 He's grown up around everything from a pop up pull behind to the class A's. He's from Washington state and the Northwestern states, also drove 18 wheelers for about 5 years before becoming a mechanic. My brother in law is a carpenter by trade, so any of that kind of thing he's here to help. We should be able to get everything but the inverter system up and going by ourselves. The bus has full power when land tethered, inverter hums while bus is plugged in. But when you start the bus, no inverter power. I'm lost as a goose with electricity, hubby will probably take that to an RV place.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
More pictures of the deconstruction

Hopefully this will be some new pictures of the demo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	113509  
Old 12-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Disgusting mess! But it only gets better from here. 😉
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	78
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	113510  
Old 12-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's two hardworking men there!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	81
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	113511  
Old 12-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
What was left of the pull down bed. Yuck!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	69
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	113512  
Old 12-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
New ceiling going in. 😉
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	71
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	113524  
Old 12-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Trying to lighten the inside up some. With all the dark wood, we've decided to go lighter ceiling and flooring. Anyone have experience with vinyl click lock flooring in one of these things? We've got 9 dogs, yes 9, that'll be living in here with us and need something that can stand up to the wear. We're taking out the under bed storage and building it all the way out on both sides of the bed to convert into a sleeping/riding area to secure 6 of them in. They're all under 15#'s. Then two are big boys. We plan on turning the dinning room table into a bed, then put the large crate up there for Max. We can make a smaller enclosure under him for Nick, and that leaves the old man Chewy to ride wherever his old heart desires.