Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCathy71 View Post
The more I reply, the more I think this remodel is getting bigger! First, repair roof and water damage. Then do flooring because carpet old and smells not so nice. Then remove ice maker and compactor. Then replace backsplash. Then??? LOL��
Well CajunCathy71 the good news is that you have a well-made classic RV. There are some RV’s that were disasters when they were brand new. In addition, it sounds as if you have people working on it (you, your husband, and a relative) who are good with their hands and not afraid of hard work and getting dirty. There’s nothing sadder than a person who buys a fixer-upper without the skill sets, inclination to learn, or the money to hire the work out. That’s just plain sad! Think of your classic Holiday Rambler as climbing a mountain, one step at a time will get you to the top!

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #58
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's an interesting walk-through of a highly updated 1991 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial...just for fun to look at

Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #59

Quote:
The more I reply, the more I think this remodel is getting bigger! First, repair roof and water damage. Then do flooring because carpet old and smells not so nice. Then remove ice maker and compactor. Then replace backsplash. Then??? LOL😋
CajunCathy71, you are absolutely correct about the project getting bigger. If you own a motorhome.....then it will always be something....it never ends. I enjoy working on classic cars and RVs and they both need constant tinkering and even when you are done with the "tinkering", you always find some upgrade that you want to do. It can be a lot of fun and rewarding. Im looking forward to watching your progress.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
The fridge may be just fine. I know mine is on my 1991 rockwood. The nice thing about absorption fridges is that they have no moving parts. it works a lot like a coffee percolator inside (water ammonia solution, coils filled with hydrogen gas and a "boiler" that percolates the solution to make ammonia gas that then condenses and evaps in the coils to cool)

I would get the model of it and see if any recalls have been done. So far as I can tell my norcold has no recalls on it (mine is an 80s model) and still runs like a champ with the exception of a plugged drain line on the drip pan in the fridge.

It takes about 3 or 4 hours to come up from room temp but once it gets going it stays very cold (I also like the auto switch over from electric to propane in power outages and the propane mode could be useful if you're boon docking in the thing and haven't added a massive battery bank and inverter to run a residential fridge without having to run the generator)
Old 12-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #61

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Feels like nothing is getting done!

Things are progressing, but it feels like it will never end! 😜 We've gotten the ceiling installed, all the debris from that cleaned up, and most of the cabinets reinstalled. Weather finally permitted getting started on the roof, leading to the next surprise. The roof is not a rubber membrane, it is indeed a metal roof! It's got one seam down the center and one on each end cap. All of our leaks are in areas where something attaches to the roof; ie the ac units, the skylights, attic fan, and back up camera. Any suggestions on products to use to seal those areas? We've got a new skylight, it came with sealer. 😉 I'll get more pictures tomorrow, if the weather is nice.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #62

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
The fridge may be just fine. I know mine is on my 1991 rockwood. The nice thing about absorption fridges is that they have no moving parts. it works a lot like a coffee percolator inside (water ammonia solution, coils filled with hydrogen gas and a "boiler" that percolates the solution to make ammonia gas that then condenses and evaps in the coils to cool)

I would get the model of it and see if any recalls have been done. So far as I can tell my norcold has no recalls on it (mine is an 80s model) and still runs like a champ with the exception of a plugged drain line on the drip pan in the fridge.

It takes about 3 or 4 hours to come up from room temp but once it gets going it stays very cold (I also like the auto switch over from electric to propane in power outages and the propane mode could be useful if you're boon docking in the thing and haven't added a massive battery bank and inverter to run a residential fridge without having to run the generator)
We were finally able to get an electrician friend to come check our system out. The fridge works great! Both on electricity and propane. So far, everything works fine except the transfer switch and probably the inverter itself. God truly blessed us with this one!
Old 12-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #63

Ford Super Duty Owner
Regarding your roof leaks, I can't speak to your specific rig, however a couple of options would be Dicor self-leveling caulk (comes in tubes that you use with a caulking gun), or Eternabond self-adhesive tape. If you do a bit of looking on iRV2, you'll find lots of examples of both in use.

I just installed a new roof on our rig, and I actually used a sparing application of Dicor, followed by an overlay of Eternabond.

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Regarding your roof leaks, I can't speak to your specific rig, however a couple of options would be Dicor self-leveling caulk (comes in tubes that you use with a caulking gun), or Eternabond self-adhesive tape. If you do a bit of looking on iRV2, you'll find lots of examples of both in use.

I just installed a new roof on our rig, and I actually used a sparing application of Dicor, followed by an overlay of Eternabond.
What he says! I too have used the sealant topped off with the Eternabond tape.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
I should add one thing - before you go applying Dicor or Eternabond (or both), make sure whatever you're sealing is in good shape and won't require replacing in the near future. Removing both of these products can be tedious...though certainly not impossible.

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:23 AM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Not even sure if this one works yet. It's a dometic. Kind of leary of them, I've heard the fridges can catch fire on you. Looking into alternative for our original's replacement as well. This things going to cost some $ to get back in shape, but we'll get there, one system at the time. Gotta get the roof sealed before anything else. ��
I have one 33-34 years old and it has worked great for us. The electric don't work any more but works great on Propane.
Never heard of a fire with this brand but have heard of others and fires. Have it checked out to be safe if need be..
JS,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #67

Vintage RV Owners Club
Roof is sealed! New skylight installed. Pulling up the carpet tomorrow and laying down the new flooring. Progression being made, life is good today. 😉 Took her down and filled her fuel tank up. 😃 77 gallons, $121 @1.559 per gallon. May have to rob a bank to take that trip to Washington!😜😎
Old 12-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #68

Quote:
Roof is sealed! New skylight installed. Pulling up the carpet tomorrow and laying down the new flooring. Progression being made, life is good today. �� Took her down and filled her fuel tank up. �� 77 gallons, $121 @1.559 per gallon. May have to rob a bank to take that trip to Washington!����
Bite your tongue, I was in Los Angeles over Christmas visiting my daughter and paid $2.85/gallon and that was a deal!

Steve
Old 01-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #69

Send a message via MSN to RoadrunnerUT
CajunCathy,
How is you motorhome coming along? I haven't seen any posting in a while and I was wondering about your project. I acquired a 1986 Holiday Rambler Imperial Limited 38 diesel at the beginning of December 2015 coincidently and had some of the same issues you had with water leaks on the roof. I hope things are coming along on you journey.
Gilbert
Old 02-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
New symptoms

The roof is finished, only took 3 tries to get all the leaks sealed. Lol The tape mentioned above worked wonders! But still having an air ride problem. The rear lifts to the correct ride height, levelizer arms deploy with room to spare. The front end won't rise over 4.5 inches, making the wheels scrub the fenders on turns, bottoming out on bumps, and the front levelizer arms can't deploy. We took it to a truck shop and they diagnosed front levelizer valves were bad. They ended up replacing one side. It still won't lift above 4.5 inches and leans slightly to the left. Even when you disconnect the leveler arm and try to inflate the bag further, as the adjusting procedure says, it won't pick the nose up. Any ideas? Also, air throttle control. When you ease into the pedal, it responds as if the pedal's being pushed in in increments, kind of like when an old gas pedal would get sticky and need lubing. You can't ease off the gas either. If you try to slow down, it's like you take your foot off the pedal and it lugs down. You can't hold a steady speed cause the pedals either mashed or not as far as the engines concerned.
The ceiling is in, the flooring gets finished as soon as we get this air ride problem figured out, the furnace blower motor was froze up so another one's on the way, then we'll be ready to move in.