Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
TRD

Strange Encounter

I debated asking this question, but as I have mentioned in another post, I am getting bored and anxious waiting on spring. I had a situation a few weeks back and wonder if anyone has ever encounters anything like this.
I will start with a little background info. Like most on this forum, my MH is older (vintage). I don’t RV like most here. My MH is used to pull a 16’ trailer to and from motorcycles races. The MH is in excellent mechanical condition. Tires are new, brakes are good, no exhaust leaks and no parts dangling. Cosmetically it’s not bad. No duct tape, cardboard or bailing wire holding it together. However, the paint is faded and the strip has some cracks. The interior has had a once over including new upholstery throughout. My trailer is white, clean and professionally decaled with my racing information.

A few weeks ago we went out of state to a racing event. I raced on Saturday and decide to stay over for another race the following Wednesday. We went to a reasonable nice RV part and rented a spot for the layover. This park had a (I hesitate to call it a club house) building that in the evening a lot of people would gather and socialize. The second evening we were there, I walked up and introduced myself and for the most part, everyone was cordial. We all swapped names, hometowns, just normal conversation. Then, one gentleman (I use the word loosely) from across the way spoke rather loudly. He asked if that was my MH, pointing to the spot I was parked in. I acknowledged that in fact it was mine. Then he said – and I quote “I sure wouldn’t want you parking beside me” . Before I could reply, several of the others spoke in my defense, but I stood and my comment back to him wasn’t anything I care to mention. He turned and walked out the back door.
Like I said, I rarely stop in RV parks and I will be the first to admit, my MH is not new or fancy. But, it’s not a POS either. Is this type behavior normal? I’m not upset or mad, I figure he is entitled to his opinions, I was surprised he chose to share those opinions with me.

Terry
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There a few people out there there have a much higher opinion of themselves than the rest of the world holds. You just have to learn to ignore the people that have this affliction.

I just wonder if this "gentleman" was the owner of a higher end motorhome. Several years ago, the Texas Boomers had a rally and ran into a club rally for this particular brand that were the most obnoxious people I have encounter in my almost 30 years of RVing.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was talking to a guy with a super high end coach, complimented him, chit chatted, super nice guy. He said he was waiting for a buddy to show up. When his friends got there, his whole demeanor changed and he barely even acknowledged we had talked. They were better than us or so they thought. Takes all kinds.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
maybe its just me. but we all put our pants on one leg at a time. now let me say that we live in costa rica. and rv in the usa. but i have met six of
our presidents in costa rica. while in shorts or tee shirts and had a nice
conversion with them. but i do known the snob type i was told by a friends
wife a few yrs back .that i could not invite locals to my birthday party. and
invite the ambassadors from us and canada .so i told her dont come she missed a great party. if fact we got a call from the ambassador thanking
us he said he learned more about costa rica from the locals that night
then in his 3 yrs being hear . point is you cant judge a book by its cover.
and everyone is wellcome in my home or rv . john
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I mountain bike, Jeep and RV

and in all groups, there are people with high dollar gear that think that makes them just a bit better than other, it is ridiculus.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
and in all groups, there are people with high dollar gear that think that makes them just a bit better than other, it is ridiculus.
They just have bigger payments.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
They just have bigger payments.

YUP - and often first in line looking for free camping spots....
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sad that some people can not feel good about themselves unless they are putting someone else down. Sorta funny in another way. I would have considered moving into the spot next to him for a few minutes before I left the campground.

Quite a few years ago we pulled our popup next to some expensive motor homes at a NASCAR race. They looked at us like we had green skin. I didn't move. It gave them something to talk and complain about to each other. They never spoke to me nor I them. It was very quiet and peaceful camping.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #9

Terry, probably , if and only if you'd cared to find out more about this fellow. You would find out he was on wife #3 or more, and from the fact that you didn't have to say anything yourself not popular with others in the park . JMHO.

BTW. unless your tuning your race equipment at midnight, you're welcome beside me, beer fridge is in the first compartment behind the RF wheel. Come on over and help yourself.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #10

I wanna know what you said. Lol I HATE people like that.....
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Butt holes abound, never let 'em pull you down.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Awww he's just jealous cause your out living a good life and racing and he's not. There out there. Most are very friendly and good neighbors. Carry on.

sCary
sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #13

Good Grief. I guess it takes all kinds to make the world spin, but some just make you wonder if they ever were taught any manners. I've noticed a few posts on this forum about some of us with older rigs being turned away from RV parks completely.... and being asked what year the rig was, etc.

Snobs will be snobs... but eventually they get a little of their own medicine, some learn, some don't.
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #14

People ask me what year our motorhome and I tell it's a 2010 and they get
the weirdest look,then I tell them that's when we bought it so it's new to me.
ftv37 is offline   Reply With Quote