Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Strange engine question

Hello everyone- I have an unusual question about running my RV engine on a gravity fed fuel tank-just to keep engine excercised until I can replace the fuel pump. I got it jacked up-then my health took a dive- now I just want to be able to start it from time to time- I have a 2 gallon tractor gas tank with shut off-I could mount above the engine access-directly to the carb-Its a Dodge 440 cuin- 4 barrel. Do you think it would work for just temporay? Thanks-Al
illinitackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

It should work. I've seen cars run off coffee cans before.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

Mame sure good ventelation, gas tanks make good bombs.

Best to place tank outside on ladder with long hose.

Pour in one gallon max, wait for flow to carb, start and let it run it out.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #4

Strange Engine Question

All good advice Guys- I thought of hanging the tank outside on the mirror mount. with long hose coming in thru the open window-Thanks-Al
Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Gravity fed fuel tank to engine carburetor was the norm back when we had Model A Fords running around. It should work fine. Hope you feel better soon.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #6

There is a problem you may run into. A gravity feed to a "modern" carburetor may not supply enough fuel for road load, let alone any climbing or acceleration. The discharge pressure of a typical engine driven pump is in the 5~7 psi range and that is about the same as 15+ feet of vertical head.

If by "excersize" you mean to idle the engine, as an engineer that did engine testing for many years, let me advise you that there is nothing good that happens to an idling engine. We use an idle test for many years to make cam/valve gear problems show up fast.

Rather that "exercise" the engine by idling it for too long (any more than warn up enough to drive), why don't you read up on how to properly store the engine. That is what boat people do all the time. I have put and engine "to bed" and one case it did not get restarted for eight years. It started right back up after the proper preparations were made and it is still running.

Storing an engine for an extended period of non-use is really pretty simple.
Simple instructions: (they are less than complete and all encompassing)
- Put new oil in the engine.
- Run it until it is warm.
- Shut off the fuel supply (somehow).
- As the engine coughs off due to lack of fuel, pour fogging oil in the intake.
- When it is cool, close of the intake. Close the exhaust too - if practical
- If it may be unused a very long time (years) remove the belts and coat the FEAD sheaves with a rust inhibitor. (If you don't, the belts will be shredded by the rust on the sheaves.)
- Find someplace to store the battery.

It really is that easy and it really is that good.

Matt
Old 09-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #7

Strange Engine Question

Well guys- after tinkering with this- I have decided to install a used in line elec pump just below the temporary tank, it came off one of my old tractors-low press. I'm mounting the whole rig, outside, up front under engine access cavity, outside of fire wall-away from electrics, lots of ventilation. Will let you know how it works-might even be a good idea for an emergency fuel supply problem-Thanks-Al
Old 09-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
There is a problem you may run into. A gravity feed to a "modern" carburetor may not supply enough fuel for road load, let alone any climbing or acceleration. The discharge pressure of a typical engine driven pump is in the 5~7 psi range and that is about the same as 15+ feet of vertical head.

If by "excersize" you mean to idle the engine, as an engineer that did engine testing for many years, let me advise you that there is nothing good that happens to an idling engine. We use an idle test for many years to make cam/valve gear problems show up fast.

Rather that "exercise" the engine by idling it for too long (any more than warn up enough to drive), why don't you read up on how to properly store the engine. That is what boat people do all the time. I have put and engine "to bed" and one case it did not get restarted for eight years. It started right back up after the proper preparations were made and it is still running.

Storing an engine for an extended period of non-use is really pretty simple.
Simple instructions: (they are less than complete and all encompassing)
- Put new oil in the engine.
- Run it until it is warm.
- Shut off the fuel supply (somehow).
- As the engine coughs off due to lack of fuel, pour fogging oil in the intake.
- When it is cool, close of the intake. Close the exhaust too - if practical
- If it may be unused a very long time (years) remove the belts and coat the FEAD sheaves with a rust inhibitor. (If you don't, the belts will be shredded by the rust on the sheaves.)
- Find someplace to store the battery.

It really is that easy and it really is that good.

Matt
Don't listen to this guy. He sure hasn't read your question. I can fill your head with a lot of technical garbage and the facts will be the same.
What your trying to do is fine.
I used to have a car collection and would only drive one each year. The others sat and I would start them regularly,never had a problem.
Still have a couple that havn't been able to use because of family health issues. I start them at least once a month they have never been an issue.
Just get them up to temp and change the oil per season if you think it's necessary.
I am also a licensed mechanic (CANADIAN) for 40 years and own and maintain my own aircraft.
GO FOR IT
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #9

I have unsubscribed to this thread.
If you need or want my help, send a private message.

Matt
Old 09-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post

Don't listen to this guy. He sure hasn't read your question. I can fill your head with a lot of technical garbage and the facts will be the same.
What your trying to do is fine.
I used to have a car collection and would only drive one each year. The others sat and I would start them regularly,never had a problem.
Still have a couple that havn't been able to use because of family health issues. I start them at least once a month they have never been an issue.
Just get them up to temp and change the oil per season if you think it's necessary.
I am also a licensed mechanic (CANADIAN) for 40 years and own and maintain my own aircraft.
GO FOR IT
Hmmmm... Fine to promote your own opinion, but not so good gruffly dis another's. cant fault the poster for withdrawing. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #11

This worked for once and it was strange

My fuel pump went out on my ford f250 towing my trailer 20 miles into a nat. forest, I took thebulb and hose off of my boat motor tank and laid it on the drivers floor and attached it to the fuel line from the tank and to the carberator, I pumped it with my foot and it woked perfectly, well it actually was awesome apartently the check valve in my fuel pump wasn't working and the bulb has a check valve in it, so it basically made the whole system work perfectly whithout even pumping on the fuel bulb, I replaced the fuel pump 6 months later and the little bulb was still working as a check valve for the fuel pump.
Try it in your fuel line and it may just work for you.

Muledeer2
Muledeer2 is offline   Reply With Quote