Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Strange propane regulator noise

I recently upgraded to a large 120 gallon propane tank and now my regulator is making a noise I can only liken to a guinea pig or something.

I think it may be because of the larger pressure of a big tank. The propane company that attached it swears up and down I didn't need any kind of step down regulator on the tank (I wanted a 10PSI one on the tank but he wouldn't hear of it)

So far my appliances and everything are working and don't seem to be over pressure but I've never had it make this sound before today when the tank was delivered. here's a link to a youtube video of the sound.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I was told that a new propane tank needs to be purged before being put into service.

Purging removes water vapor and air.

Air might be the cause of the noise. Suggest asking a different propane company for their opinion.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would assume that they have done that considering I bought a brand new tank from them.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

First, the tank size determines the amount of liquiefied gas in it, not the pressure. The pressure will be the same in a small tank as a large tank, at the same temp.

I didn't get any sound on your video but you may just need to adjust the shield of the regulator to stop the noise.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I tried a tip I heard when searching for this online:
I closed the valve to the tank and burned off all the gas with the stove. then I very slowly opened the valve and re-lit everything. So far the regulator is sounding normal again. hopefully it lasts.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nope, Still doing it although now it seems to be coming more from the tank itself this time. the whole thing is resonating.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I would talk to a different propane co. and get their opinion!!
JMHO Rail!
Old 11-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normal. the pressure in the big tank is no differfent from the pressure in a small tank.. It is controlled by some laws of physics and the physical properties of Propane so it can not possibly be different. (till the bottle runs dry then it's lower).

The regulator has a valve that opens and closes to regulate the pressure down-line. you are hearing this valve open and close.. The only effect the larger tank may have is something called resonance. This has to do with, in this case. the sound.. It may be the larger tank is resonate at the frequency the valve is opening and closing under some conditions and thus it seems to amplify the sound.

NOTE: Water regulators (And air) all do the same thing.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #9

Hearing a regulator humming is generally a sign of a high volume of gas going through it. If it's annoying, or the volume isn't that great, regulators are relatively inexpensive and easy to change. That would be my suggestion....

You could also place it in an enclosure that might insulate you from the sound. Just make sure the enclosure isn't so tight that the regulator can't breathe.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm glad to know I was wrong in my thinking about pressure with the big tanks. I just never had a sound before and wanted to be sure it was not something to worry about.

I think I can get used to it. It's not really annoying, just totally unexpected.

Tags
noise, propane