Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #1

Streamline BEAUTY

Wow!! This beautiful vintage MH pulled into the park we are staying at tonight. It was so cool that I had to google it to find out about it. Found out it is from 1964-1967. Sure hope the owner is friendly and wants to show it off when we happen to be strolling by his camp tomorrow It has original California plates and from the looks of the outside, it is probably fully restored inside too. I Love that there are such artists among us to bring these true treasures back to life...they are works of art . I'd love to hear more from anyone who knows about this model. The back looks like a train cabbose. Coloring is similar to TXiceman's beautiful TT
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems Streamline Trailer Co. was purchased by Newell in 1967 and is still in biz and producing top of the line coaches today.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #3

Did you by any chance find out the brand name of the coach?

The rear of my old 84 Airstream motor home resembled the rear end of the old club cars on a streamliner train.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Take pictures if you can and be sure to tell them about this site...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #5

It says STREAMLINE and does look kinda' like an airstream. I'll snap a pic of her today. I swear, this MH is so pretty...looks like it should be in a museum
Old 05-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Cheryl, we hope you can post some pictures. And as Poppatello says tell the folks about us and IRV2.

That brings to mind a thought... would anyone be interested in a Vintage Rv/ IRV2 window sticker? With approval of the management of course.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

Here it is, a 1964 Streamline Travel Car. Owner was away but his friend said OK to take some pics. They bought it in 1997 from the mayor of Garden Grove CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StreamlineFrnt.jpg
Views:	4454
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	10574   Click image for larger version

Name:	StreamlineL:R.jpg
Views:	5710
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	10575  

Click image for larger version

Name:	StreamlineNameplate.jpg
Views:	1596
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	10576   Click image for larger version

Name:	StreamlineRear.jpg
Views:	1762
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	10577  

Old 05-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #8

That is so cool, I would pay to see the inside.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
WoW! You said it all Ed. Too cool. Back porch and all. It looks like it has seen many Happy Trails!!

I wonder what engine it has? I think it was '68 when Ford introduced the 460cid and '70 when Chevy delivered the 454cid. I think it was 1960 when Ford marketed it's first big block; a 325 or something in that range. Regardless it is a beautiful Motor Coach.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #10

After reading this, I did a search on Craig's list:

66 streamline

and this one

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/2410135066.html
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #11

Wow, thanks
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers

That thing is awesome.

People with units like that have got to love to talk about it...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What are the odds of finding 2 for sale in the So Cal area. As far as I could tell from my research only 70 were ever made between 1964 to 1967. One somewhat famous Travel Car, The Silver Bullet owned by David Janssen has been recently rediscovered. Only a few of the Vista View models (rear porch) were ever made. The others had the standard enclosed rear end cap.

The manufacturer of The Travel Car "Streamline Trailer Co" began life as a trailer manufacturing company founded in 1957. The owner James Patterson bought out his 2 partners at Silver Streak Trailer Company to be able to start it.

It definitely has that Airstream look and I was able to trace it's lineage all the way back to the Airstream founder Wally Byam.
Airstream was founded in 1931 by Byam and first produced the famous "Clipper" travel trailer in 1936. Airstream closed it's doors when the war started due to lack of raw materials. Byam was then hired by Curtis Wright Manufacturing (not to be confused with Curtiss-Wright Aircraft Co) during the war and they worked together until 1948.
In 1947 Curtis Wright (with help from Byam) resumed production on the Clipper travel trailer. Byam left Curtis Wright in 1948 to reform the Airstream Co. In 1949 three partners (including James Patterson) bought Curtis Wright trailer manufacturing and renamed the company "Silver Streak"
Silver Streak continued on to build travel trailers until the demise of the company in 1986. It is rumored that the owners went on to build a limited number of custom built TT's until 1997.

The Travel car did not die in 1967. The motorhome division of Silver Streak was purchased by L.K. Newell. He kept the name Streamline Travel Car for the first year of production and later changed it to his own name. According to Newell Coach's web site, the beach boys owned one of the first models produced by Newell in 1967.
L.K. Newel was an innovator of coach building in the 60's and 70's. He built the first rear engine motorhome in 1969 and the first diesel power coach in 1970. The company was sold in 1979 and renamed "Newell Coach Corporation", and is still in business today producing some of the nicest top end coaches on the market.

Ref;
Frequently Asked Questions
Wally Byam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Silver Palaces - Google Books
Newell Coach Adds Fresh Look to 2011 Model | RV Business
Newell Coach Luxury Motorhomes
References I believe to be incorrect;
silver_streak [Tin Can Tourists Wiki]

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #14

i'll pay to see pics of inside
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote