Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #1

I just bought a running, drivable 1973 Winnebago Indian and need to restore/repair some structural water damage to the wood on one side. Any comments as to the best method for doing this? Can it be done from the interior, or will I have to pull the outer skin off to replace the rotted wood? Any experience on this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #2

I just bought a running, drivable 1973 Winnebago Indian and need to restore/repair some structural water damage to the wood on one side. Any comments as to the best method for doing this? Can it be done from the interior, or will I have to pull the outer skin off to replace the rotted wood? Any experience on this?

Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #3

Rob,
First of all; Welcome to irv2
Now to your question; Yes, you will probably have to remove the skin. Very seldom can one get to all the places he has to by removing the interior paneling. I repaired a previously owned class C and we couldn't have properly anchored the new structual members without the skin off. This was on an aluminum skined vehicle. My Brother=in-law's 1986 Itasca had fibreglass skin that just looked like aluminum, which do you have?
When reinstalling the skin be sure to use the proper sealant, NOT SILICONE, for the seams and any windows or fixtures you had to remove. You can buy the sealing 'tape' and caulking from most RV stores.
Loren
Old 10-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #4

Thanks for you quick reply Loren. My folks have restored, and currently travel extensively in an Airstream - a 1950's model I think. My sister and her husband have an RV as well - not sure what kind. I'm the newby in the family - and the blacksheep as well with the mobile home. I'm fairly sure that the skin is aluminum. So, is it simply a matter of peeling the AL sheet off with some kind of solvent or something? It's a mighty big piece to remove - it runs the whole 24' length of the RV. It's probably not as hard as it looks - I think I'd only have to remove the bottom half as there's a horizontal seam about half way down from the top.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:52 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Rob and welcome to the forum!! You are on the right track by taking off the skin and if you check with Freebee or Inalabama, They have some great pictures to kinda show what you will be seeing and working with! You can also click on my picture site link and see mine being done for me! I cheated some but it would be too hard for me to do it all by myself so...
Anyway ,good luck and enjoy the rv lifestyle!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #6

Thanks Capt. Dan, and Tweet! I'm going to check out your pics now.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
HuMMM, I thought I had changed that.. Me Old ladys new name should be there....Guess I gots to do some updating! It should say Butterfly lady! Enjoy the pictures and No, It isn't done yet!! Wish it were. I'm stuck in a 78 Winne Class C and it sucks!!! Ok, Fixed!! I live another night!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #8

Rob,
When I took off the panels; all the screws were removed first, then the panels were carefully pried off. They have caulking in the seams so work slowly to prevent wrinkling the skin.
Capt. Dan's suggestion to look at what others are doing on this forum is right on. I'm trying to remember what we did 12 years ago, they are doing it now, and I know they will be happy to assist you with your project.
Loren
Old 10-23-2007, 12:58 PM   #9

Rob.

I sent you a reply to your post. I have done quite a bit of work but I have only had to remove the nose and tail skin. if you have to do the sides you could pull all of it off at once or you can rip out small sections at a time and rebuild it with out taking the skin off. it depends on the extent and location of the damage. if you have pics of it post them up and I could tell you better.

Good luck

Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #10

Thanks Freebie (Arin & Keri): Its been a busy couple of weeks so I haven't had a chance to even think about this project. I'm still investigating the extent of the damage so I can make better plans for the repairs. I'll post some pics as soon as I can and I appreciate your comments.
Thanks again,
--Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freebie:
Rob.

I sent you a reply to your post. I have done quite a bit of work but I have only had to remove the nose and tail skin. if you have to do the sides you could pull all of it off at once or you can rip out small sections at a time and rebuild it with out taking the skin off. it depends on the extent and location of the damage. if you have pics of it post them up and I could tell you better.

Good luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #11

Rob
I had one of those from 73 to 80. The sidewalls are laminated. The white part front to rear was made in one section. Then holes cut for door windows etc. If you remove the skin it may not able to be put back on. good luck I will be lurking to see how it turns out Andy
Old 11-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #12

Thanks Andy: I took a good look yesterday and I see what you mean. Fortunately, I don't think I'll have to remove the whole thing. I hope I can lift it off enough to repair the wood behind it. I'll post my results when I get to it - holidays you know. Thanks for your help.
--Rob