Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot View Post
As far as the fuel tank(s) and rust and crud, we also revived our motorhome, Titanic, which had been sitting a long time. We changed all the fuel filters including the one in the carb and then built this super filter to protect everything while the crud worked its way out. Install it on the line coming out of the tank. Keep an eye on the amount of junk that builds up and change when approaching maximum crudiness....

My wife, Marilyn is also a strong, do-anything woman. She worked right beside me as we transformed Titanic from worn-out hulk to reliable adventure machine.

Good luck and we'll see you on the road!
Thank you, that looks awesome! I'm sure that would save me a lot of grief going down the road until I can get all the gunk out. Hopefully I will be able to meet up with ya'll on the road once I get the beast running.

svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #16

Another way to skim the crud out. Spin on filter used on hand pump fuel delivery systems mounted in pickup truck beds. Lasted several years on one canister.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdreamer View Post
I have a dumb question. DISCLAIMER: Mechanics are not my field of expertise, I'm a retired nurse, anything without a pulse, I don't know.

I'm going to try to get my motor home started myself as calling a mobile auto repairman would probably cost an arm, a leg, a foot and part of my elbow. The MH has been sitting for years. I'm sure the gas has gone bad. I want to syphon out the main tank but I'm not sure what to do with the bad gas. Can I syphon it into the aux tank for now? Until I get it running and to a repair shop? I know to syphon as much out as possible then get underneath it and either undo the plug if it has one or undo the fuel line to get it all out. I have a pan for it to drain into. At the same time, I should replace the fuel filter. Not sure where that is, I need to get under it and look. This should be fun.
.................I'm late too the discussion here , but , it seems to me the best solution , is too have the tank removed , cleaned , sealed and put back on ! Trying various methods too dilute old fuel with new fuel ,etc . and then pumping that noxious mixture into the engine , even with a new fuel filter is just creating more problems than you had to begin with ! , jigger
Old 09-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
.................I'm late too the discussion here , but , it seems to me the best solution , is too have the tank removed , cleaned , sealed and put back on ! Trying various methods too dilute old fuel with new fuel ,etc . and then pumping that noxious mixture into the engine , even with a new fuel filter is just creating more problems than you had to begin with ! , jigger
I don't plan on letting it get to the engine. I just want to get the bad fuel out of the main gas tank to get it running, then get it to a shop where the mechanic can tell me what is the best way to handle it. I can't drop the gas tank in the RV storage place and I can't get it to a better place to even consider doing that unless I get it running.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Another way to skim the crud out. Spin on filter used on hand pump fuel delivery systems mounted in pickup truck beds. Lasted several years on one canister.

Dave

Sorry, I think that is way beyond my limited capabilities. I wouldn't even know how to start building something like that.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Sorry, I think that is way beyond my limited capabilities. I wouldn't even know how to start building something like that.
Hi Pam,
Another thing you can do just to get it started is to disconnect the gas tank fuel line at the pump, and run a short rubber line from the pump into a 1 gal. or 5 gal. gas can sitting by the RF tire. Squirt a little fuel into the carb and she should fire right up!
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Pam,
Another thing you can do just to get it started is to disconnect the gas tank fuel line at the pump, and run a short rubber line from the pump into a 1 gal. or 5 gal. gas can sitting by the RF tire. Squirt a little fuel into the carb and she should fire right up!
But, wouldn't die right away if I have the fuel going into a gas can instead of the engine?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #22

Wink Bad gas

From years of experience working and restoring old cars.....

Get every drop of old gasoline out as you can. Wear gloves as the smell of really old gas is insidious, like turpentine, and won't come off the hands for days. The aromatic compounds of the gasoline have long since evaporated leaving the additives and heavier aliphatic components behind.

If you let the gasoline reach the engine it will harm the carburetor and fuel pump.

If the gasoline is not more than a year or two old you could mix it with with new gas. If it's much older do not re-use it. Get rid of it.

If you are up to it, if the carburetor has dried out it's likely it has "white death" (aluminum oxide) inside. Depending on how bad it is a rebuild of carburetor may be in order.

Be sure to watch engine after it starts for fuel leaks or carburetor flooding that could lead to a fire.

Good luck

PS I still have in my garage 4 gals of gas from an old harley that I still haven't gotten rid of yet.
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #23

Quote:
But, wouldn't die right away if I have the fuel going into a gas can instead of the engine?
Let me try again (I wrote that before I had enough coffee on board...)

<Gas can><Fuel Line><Fuel pump intake><Fuel pump><Fuel pump output><Fuel line><Carb>

Basically, instead of the fuel tank being connected to the fuel pump with a long line, the gas can is connected to the fuel pump with a short line.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Let me try again (I wrote that before I had enough coffee on board...)

<Gas can><Fuel Line><Fuel pump intake><Fuel pump><Fuel pump output><Fuel line><Carb>

Basically, instead of the fuel tank being connected to the fuel pump with a long line, the gas can is connected to the fuel pump with a short line.
OK, that makes more sense. I'm limited at what I can do in the RV lot. The lot owners are kinda funny, they just want you parking or leaving with your rig. I've already been 'visited' because I was in there cleaning up the inside.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
All old gas is now out of the RV main tank. Ended up I had about 9 gallons in there. Put 5 gallons for now in the aux tank, some is in my gas can as I look for some place legal to get rid of it. And a very little bit of it ended up on my step, welcome mat, the ground and down my leg because that cheap pump I was using liked to fall apart. Sheesh. But that is finally done. Also spent some more time inside cleaning, opening cupboards and seeing what all I have in there. I got some replacement windshield wipers, hope that will work with this old RV. Tomorrow, we put in the filter and if that doesn't do it, we'll put in a new fuel pump. Getting closer to getting her running. Now I stink of old gas. Took a shower and I still smell it. Yuck.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #26

Talking Welcome to the club.

Quote:
....Now I stink of old gas. Took a shower and I still smell it. Yuck.
Ahh, the joys of owning a vintage motor home.... You'll find that there are many distinctive smells and stains that will find their way to your body and clothing; we call this, "Paying your dues...." Welcome to the club. Oh, and get yourself a box of 100 cheap nitrile gloves to wear when working with the nasties... rubber gloves will fall apart. A bar of Lava hand soap and a brush works well also.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Ahh, the joys of owning a vintage motor home.... You'll find that there are many distinctive smells and stains that will find their way to your body and clothing; we call this, "Paying your dues...." Welcome to the club. Oh, and get yourself a box of 100 cheap nitrile gloves to wear when working with the nasties... rubber gloves will fall apart. A bar of Lava hand soap and a brush works well also.
I did have gloves on, so my hands smell ok, it's the gas that ran down my leg that stinks. lol And I use Goop, my dad used it all the time and I like it, too.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you have a plan for the fuel, and tires.
However:
Do NOT forget to flush the old brake fluid with new brake fluid.
And Coolant change/Flush with water only is in order.
Both of these fluids get nasty after sitting a few years.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas