Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #1

Take along items

I will be venturing out on my first long trip in February from Seaside Oregon to Beaver Dam Arizona. Since I am somewhat anxious about taking a 20 year old class A on the road, I could easily over-gross my rig with spares of everything So for you high experienced RVers out there what do you normally take along that experience has taught you are MUST HAVE items for a gas rig.

I already have the following items ready to go:

1. New spare tire and wheel
2. A new spare alternator
3. New set of serpentine belts
4. A new spare disconnect solenoid (because it's there)
5. extra oil, atf, lubricants
6. Jumper cables
7. 6 ton bottle jack and two jack-stands
8. Good first aid kit
9. Fuses and bulbs
10. Volt/Ohm meter(s)
11. My wife (not a spare)

Thank you for sharing your suggestions with us.
Magnafique is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you have the tools to change a tire if needed? They take a pretty good sized lever to remove and put back on lug nuts at the specified torque. If you have leveling jacks, not sure why you need two jack stands. The mounted tires are heavy, are you up for changing one? I decided to use roadside assistance and pay to have someone else do the work.

I find most anything I might need on a trip can be purchased. (especially for a Ford) No matter how extensive your spare parts inventory, it inevitably happens that something else you don't have will need replacement. Murphy wasn't wrong.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A good road side service plan: Coach Net, Good Sam or AAA

A current Road Atlas

A good cell phone

A CB Radio in case you find yourself in an area without cell phone coverage

At least 2 credit cards in case one gets compromised or stolen.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #4

Thanks, yes I am a member of Good Sam and also have AAA premier RV roadside assistance. My plan is to never try to change a tire. I could do it but I'll let ERA do that. I am just bringing along a new spare tire and wheel since I know that it is the same kind of tire as the other six and won't be offered a tire I do not want to buy. Just had all seven replaced with new Cooper Back Country touring tires. Correct on the cb license. I hold a license for ham radio operations at the high level i.e. all frequencies of the HF bands are available to me to transmit on. The next thing I am going to do is install a transceiver, antenna, and antenna tuner so I can Rag Chew with the ham and eggs folks and report emergencies and provide other assistance should the need arise. Got two cell phones and a nice tablet (Verizon). Just taking the jack stands along should I need to do some unscheduled maintenance at an RV park. My owners manual directs that the jacks I have are not to be used to lift the tires off of the ground, stabilization only. Its a Vintage motor home so probably will be taxing the jack system. However I was totally empty of all liquids and had about 10 gallons of gas in the motor home when I was at Les Schwab. They put two 4x4 under each jack pad and I lifted first the front tires about 1 inch off the ground for them to change the tires, retracted the fronts and lifted the back off of the ground for the same purpose. They did the job but sounded stressed??? Thanks all............
Old 12-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Ummm...Sun tan lotion, a good hat for shade (You "might" see a ball of fire in the sky..DO NOT BE AFRAID! People in the south see it all the time)..... and a wind breaker..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #6

Yeah here on the Oregon Coast in the winter we stumble out to stare at that bright disk and then finally remember it is solar :-). A big yes on the suntan lotion. Spent most of my life in Alaska working in the airline industry. On my first trip to Hawaii, I got so badly burned that I began suffering from sun stroke and suffered for three days. Thanks for the reminder. Got the jackets and hats. I used to shovel snow at 15 or 20 below in shirtsleeves. After I left Alaska and part of my brain thawed I realized that I was just crazy. :-). Our mosquitoes in Alaska? You can only stun them with a sledgehammer :-) Thanks again
Old 12-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnafique View Post
Our mosquitoes in Alaska? You can only stun them with a sledgehammer :-) Thanks again
I always thought that those bugs & the sea gulls were Alaska's Air National Guard "stealth" fighter/bomber squadron ..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:56 PM   #8

They have been know to puncture fuel farm tanks and take on 500 gallons of aviation gasoline. Can't fly but make a hell of a mushroom cloud when shot :-)
Old 12-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #9

By the way to all truck drivers, please do not refer to us motorcyclists as Organ Donors. We are Oregon Donors. ha ha
Old 12-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #10

Emergency Supplies

One of the things I take keep is Schumacher Red Fuel battery booster.
Apostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #11

I always make sure to bring extra rations of adult beverages. And a spare flash light. And only the crotch rocket riders are organ donors us Harley riders are just unlucky sometimes.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every RV I've owned was at least 10 years old when I purchased, and used for 10-15 years more. I don't go overboard on parts but do carry a pretty decent toolbox. One bottle of all fluids (oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, anti freeze), a serpentine belt, upper and lower radiator hoses, fuel filter. I do carry a spare tire, along with the tools to change it if necessary. Other than that, just some basics, like duct tape, zip ties, electrical tape, wire...

BTW, in 29 years of RVing, never needed a tow or been stranded by something that those items above didn't solve. The key is to make sure that your rig, regardless of age, is roadworthy in the first place.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #13

Take Along Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Every RV I've owned was at least 10 years old when I purchased, and used for 10-15 years more. I don't go overboard on parts but do carry a pretty decent toolbox. One bottle of all fluids (oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, anti freeze), a serpentine belt, upper and lower radiator hoses, fuel filter. I do carry a spare tire, along with the tools to change it if necessary. Other than that, just some basics, like duct tape, zip ties, electrical tape, wire...

BTW, in 29 years of RVing, never needed a tow or been stranded by something that those items above didn't solve. The key is to make sure that your rig, regardless of age, is roadworthy in the first place.
I think you have summed this up well. Leave with a coach in which all needed systems work normally. I just installed a new fuel filter but you have reminded me to get another on for the spares box. Thanks much....

Tags
ems