Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #1

Take out my entire floor?

I just ripped out the carpet in the coach to the point that it meets the hard wood flooring in the kitchen. That hardwood is 3/4 inches thick and it meets flush with the ceramic tile in the bathroom. I can either put in a 3/4 inch piece of plywood to step up the vacant carpet area or take out the hardwood flooring and ceramic tile in order to lay floating laminate planks straight through to the back. That could be a lot of work. I know it may be a trivial decision to make, but... 3/4 of an inch is something to ponder when your ceiling height is only 74 inches, measured off the hardwood floor. Question is.... does 3/4 of an inch really make a noticeable difference?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #2

When you're standing on the hardwood does it feel different than when you're on the bare flooring?

I wouldn't think you'd notice the difference in ceiling height.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #3

What is the thickness of the laminate floor? Are you using a pad underneath? A transitional piece of wood should do the trick. Hopefully the net difference is around 1/4 inch. you should not notice it. Or if you are planning on going over the hardwood, I think you would have to remove it and then use a transition piece at the tile.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #4

Yes, oddly it does and I am only 68 inches tall. Someone coming in over 6 foot tall could probably tell a difference. But again it's a lot of work taking it out and I just don't know if it really makes toooo big a difference. Not sure if anyone else on Has experienced this too. Thanks
Old 01-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
What is the thickness of the laminate floor? Are you using a pad underneath? A transitional piece of wood should do the trick. Hopefully the net difference is around 1/4 inch. you should not notice it. Or if you are planning on going over the hardwood, I think you would have to remove it and then use a transition piece at the tile.
Actually I'm using vinyl planks which are pretty thin probably less than a quarter inch. Original plan was to lay the planks over the hardwood and ceramic tile after taking the carpet out and stepping up to cover that too. However I did not realize that it was three quarters of an inch difference. There really is no problem doing this, I just wondered about your perspectives on three quarters of an inch height difference and whether you would recommend taking it all out giving another three-quarter inch height in the coach.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Actually I'm using vinyl planks which are pretty thin probably less than a quarter inch. Original plan was to lay the planks over the hardwood and ceramic tile after taking the carpet out and stepping up to cover that too. However I did not realize that it was three quarters of an inch difference. There really is no problem doing this, I just wondered about your perspectives on three quarters of an inch height difference and whether you would recommend taking it all out giving another three-quarter inch height in the coach.
I have vinyl and love it. I did not even consider the height of the coach. I was talking about the tripping hazard. In my opinion a 3/4 rise is a tripping hazard. I have installed many tile and wood floors.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #7

How about some pictures?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
From my experience I can tell you removing the ceramic is a MAJOR effort. Not only removing the tile which runs under walls and cabinets, but once you get it removed, there is glue remaining so that you have to find a way to deal with that or als o remove the underlayment beneath the tile. You want a smooth surface for your new flooring. I did remove all of the ceramic and carpet from my coach and I'm very pleased with the outcome, but I can tell you it was not easy. I took a hammer and chisel and broke up the tiles to get them out, then used a sawzall to cut thru the underlayment as close to the walls as possible and remove it. They make a flooring saw you can get from Harbor Freight that would make the job easier, but it was on backorder when I did my job. I then put in new solid/smooth underlayment to get everything at the same level then put LVT on top of that. I left/replaced carpet on top of the slide.