Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #15

Barths are rare and were made to order. Yes there are gas versions.

MO Fred
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #16

I would only go with one new enough to be fuel injected. I don't think my family could deal with one without a slide. And if I was to do it again I would look for one with a pull down bed up front, or some bunks. My 2 cents.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
I would only go with one new enough to be fuel injected. I don't think my family could deal with one without a slide. And if I was to do it again I would look for one with a pull down bed up front, or some bunks. My 2 cents.
I love the idea of the bunks. It is just 3 of us but I like the idea of having another couple with a kid my sons age joining us from time to time. Nothing more than an overnighter so I plan on it being tight. This would probably rule out the GMC. Again, not a deal breaker. I do think something as small as the GMC would be fun 98% of the time.
There is a 1985 Vogue online for $9k and a 1991 Foretravel for $15k. Both need some work, the Vogue leaves more room for maintenance. hmmmmmm
search is still on.
Loving everybodies $.02
Keep them coming, it may help me save up to get something real nice!
Daveputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #18

As a Revcon owner for 12 years and over 80K miles, I can probably tell you anything you ever want to know. Revcon built by far the best handling motorhome ever conceived. Most of the time I drive with 2 fingers on the wheel, even at high speeds. I've seen 98 mph on the GPS 3 times, twice towing my Grand Cherokee. Aircraft Aluminum shell and framing, honeycomb hollow core cabinetry with Wilsonart formed over the frames makes for a very light weight, low center of gravity coach. Traveling over 70 mph, in an emergency maneuver, I have turned a quick left and a very hard swerve right with no ill handling fears. I yanked the wheel so hard turning back, I pulled a muscle in my back. The front end slid some, but no loss of control.

As far as the interior goes, because of the Wilsonart laminate on all the interior walls and cabinetry, the interior looks the same as it did when it left the showroom. The upholstery and carpet will wear, but the cabinetry is scratch and chip free. Between that and solid wood framing, the interior has stood up well in the less than ideal environment of camping. The interior walls are plastic coated aluminum, which of course does not rot. No need to worry about seams leaking, they won't.

As far as the drivetrain, once you hit '79 or '80, the drivetrain was custom configured, built mostly with off the shelf parts. Some of those part were customized, but all your wear parts can be purchased form NAPA or any other auto parts store. You asked about brakes and mountains. Revcon brakes are not the best, however there is an easy turn key conversion to disk brakes which makes an incredible difference in stopping. I converted mine 2 years ago. While it won't stop as good as my Cooper, for a motorhome, it stops extremely well. Very light pedal touch, easy to control. There is only one drivetrain issue that needs to be managed with a Revcon. Revcon used a Dana 70 running in reverse for the differential. This changes the stress on the diff, and causes it to wear faster than normal. The typical life expectancy for a Revcon diff is around 70K miles. There is a solution. With my high power mods with the 502 conversion, I did some research and found an engineer who has modified Dana's for high stress environments. We added bearing girdles to stabilise the bearings, so they do not walk under stress. This includes a very thick plate cover which also helps. Tru-loc carries is much stronger than OEM, which prevents the wear in the ring side bearing sleeve. Pretty good indication that this will survive the test of time. Not all that bad price wise for the mod.

As far as purchasing one, your main expense will be relative to the condition of the front suspension. Any time you have front wheel drive, the parts are bigger and therefore cost more money. They don't necessarily wear out faster, but just cost more to replace. So if your shopping, the condition of the front suspension should be a big factor in how much you pay. You are checking for looseness in the steering, tie rods, a-frame bushings, ball joints, bellcranks - parts that are considered wear parts that would be worn on any 25 year old coach.

Revcon is a very well built coach. I like the idea of fixing stuff once and not having to come back to it later because of a poor design. Once you get into it, you begin to realize how well done they really are. There is a group of us on Yahoo - Revcon_Curious, as well as a privately owned forum here:
Revcon Forums • Index page
Have a look around to get a sense of what you are looking at. There is a ton of tech smarts over the whole group and many willing to help.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #19

Thanks dave been waiting for your input
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I found our 82 Pace Arrow from a couple in our car club.
I bought his old Caddie and the Pace Arrow both well maintained.
No slides or anything fancy but that 454 4 barrel goes quite well. Two pumps at the gas pedal and she fires right off.
What ever you decide have fun and enjoy it, and let us know what you decide
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #21

Daveputt - GMC's have very good capacities. General Motors thought of them as family traveling vehicles. You can see that if you look at their ads from back in the day. On my 26' Glen brook we had a large bed (queen size) in the back, two single beds arranged as bunk beds where the living room coach is, plus the dinette folded into a double bed. All of these including the rear bed folded into seats for travel during the day. Deavinet talks about his Revon. That coach has some similarities to the GMC. They are much rarer than GMC's.

There are lots of coaches out there that have been someone's "baby" and is classic. That is what you want. Someone else's baby. BTW - there is a GMC in the motorhome hall of fame in Indiana. Mine was in nicer condition that the one they have in there.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #22

Currently talking to 3 people.
1. FMC needs to be restored for $5k. It's local
2. 1987 holiday Rambler Imperial for $6k 8 hour drive
3. 1985 vogue cosmolitan for $9k a quick flight away
Fmc is the coolest but it will require the most to get it ready. Will check it out this weekend.
The Rambler sounds good. 40k miles. Needs hot water and no leveling jacks
The vogue is the most but looks unbelievable online. Both interior and exterior look great for the age. Dash Ac doesn't work.
I assume I will sink another few grand in the rambler and vogue in tires and minor items but they sound trip worthy. Tires don't have cracks but plenty of tread and are older than preferred.
Thoughts? I would rank them as FMC, Vogue then Rambler in my favorites but that's based on nothing more than emotional attachment. I think these would also rank the same in costs to own.
And thanks to everybody for their input. Still looking...Revcons look cool but they all seem to be in California. Still entertaining the GMCs but haven't seen anything jump out yet.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #23

There are a few country coach late 80s in you budget that show up on ebay and craigs list.

The gillig chassis is same as school buss so very well built and good ride.

New they were 240 k in old money so very much high end.

Simple to work on and everything well made.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
There are a few country coach late 80s in you budget that show up on ebay and craigs list. The gillig chassis is same as school buss so very well built and good ride. New they were 240 k in old money so very much high end. Simple to work on and everything well made.
I have been looking and haven't seen too many. There is one in little rock. Are you seeing something I am not?
I'm Nashville TN and will consider anything within a 12 hour drive which is most of the eastern half of the country.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #25

There was one on ebay not long ago.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
There was one on ebay not long ago.
I think I know the one you are talking about. It was on my watch list. I even spoke to the seller since he had $3k in repairs done. He gets them donated for charity and does a good job cleaning them up. He is the only user on eBay that I watch because he gets some great looking 80's coaches some how. He also had an 85 beaver that sold for a great price just before the CC was listed. I wasn't as ready then as I am now to buy. Probably would have pulled the trigger if it was today. Oh well. If you can't tell part of the excitement is the hunt!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #27

Daveputt;I have oned an early 70 Revcon. I loved the all aluminum body. All the interior was very easy to fix because of it's simplicity. Easy to drive. The front wheel drive ( caddy setup ) was responsive but don't get it stuck in sand . Hard to get unstuck.The price may be a bit high but if you are a good negociator you may do ok. Good luck.Cheers Gerald
Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveputt View Post
Still looking...Revcons look cool but they all seem to be in California.
Did you miss this one?

ORIGINAL LAND YATCH - 88 CLASSIC REVCON 34"

Looks like it is about 4 hours away. An 88 is a little wider, and the interiors are nicer. The outside looks like it could use scrubbing, but likely worth the price. Interior doesn't look bad either. Beauty rings are missing from the rims, so it affects the look, but many of us have converted to 16 inch aluminum wheels which improves the tire selection and saves money on tire replacement. (you can buy 16" tires and rims for nearly the cost of 16.5" tires) Truthfully, if I didn't have so much invested in mine, I would be shopping that one, just for the larger interior.