Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #57

I must have spoken or emailed 50 people. Reached out to a hundred with no responses.
Camping world told me they can't fix it and I need to contact Chevy dealership for mid size trucks. Dealership said they can't get parts for it and I need to contact an RV place. Called several other RV places and they only work on the coach parts, not drivetrain. Spoke to 2 mobile mechanics that can't work on it without getting it towed to their shop. They didn't give me any confidence anyway. All the independent mechanics can't handle an RV pr didn't want to work that hard.
Even if I did fix the axle (still assuming that's what's wrong) it would be a risk to fly back up and drive another 25 miles before the next thing failed and I am back in similar situation. I want to get this thing home so I can go thru all the systems myself and go on several local shakedown trips.
Reached out to multiple tow companies and equipment hauling companies. EVERYBODY has an excuse why they can't do it. Mostly because of their equipment isn't correct. Flatbed trailer is too tall for 13'6 limit. Lowboy trailer is still too tall. Double drop trailer doesn't have 33' in the belly. Hot shot trailers are 3' same as a lowboy and won't work. Non semi trailer styles are too light weight OR I can't find anyone with the exact size. I have reached out to multiple auto transport companies, been on uship twice, currently paid $160 to get on a commercial trucking docket to expand my horizons. Have personally email Marc Springer on shipping wars who isn't available for a month. Tried google, clist, Facebook, my own companies shipping and receiving dept (we build heavy equipment!) and nothing!
Now I am looking at rent an F550 and trailer from hertz equipment. I don't know if the trailers are big enough yet.
International dealership in Chicago where it is located wants it off their lot now. And honestly I am in the same place as I was 2 weeks ago when I dropped it off.
Hopes are high for hertz!
Daveputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:30 AM   #58

Sorry, a little late getting back to this thread. Call Joliet Suspension.
Address: 809 S Larkin Ave, Rockdale, IL 60436
Phone:(815) 729-0356
If it is a rear axle, they should be able to fix it. They have been around a long time and have people who are OK with unusual stuff.

If they can't do it, these people can:
Kammes Auto & Truck Repair, Inc. - Bloomingdale, IL - Auto Repair, Test Lane & RV Storage
They will not be cheap, but they will be able to fix it.

This is another place that possibly can do it, but I'm not sure they have the ability to tow it.
http://www.suburbandriveline.com/
Their prices will be better than Kammes, and do good work. I had them lengthen my dirveshaft when I installed the 4spd.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This is sad, so sorry for your problems, I know about no responses why do they ask if they don't want to respond.
I wish there was something I could do. I'm retired and just sitting around the homestead waiting for summer. To bad your not around MPLS I'd be right on ya helping out.
Wouldn't it fit on a low-boy with the tires off and chained down? What a delimia sp.
I just had a thought. My nephew drives for a company that transports autos across country, maybe they have something to help out. I will call him after 9Am they just had a baby and am sure they are up. lol.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #60

Wowee Dave.... best of luck!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #61

PLEASE tell us this week's update is better...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #62

I think no update is better than reality!
Nothing new...still waiting on a driver to take my money. Last 2 quotes have been retracted when I try to pull the trigger. Hoping find get it home or to a shop his week.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Old 05-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #64

If nothing else, can it be taken to a monthly RV storage lot to get it off the shop's premises and give you time to get up there and get it fixed?

My RV lot allows repairs short of engine removal and replacement. I know not all do.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #65

I'm almost afraid to ask for another update.....

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
by now I could have driven down with my KarKaddy and towed her home for you......
Tim
Old 05-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #67

It's stories like this that make me hesitant in buying an older Class A. I am going in a couple of hours to look at an older Holiday Rambler that is in my local area. It looks pristine on the outside, stored inside and am told everything works. Still NO ONE ever knows when things are ready to break like the story Dave has.
bhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:57 AM   #68

Still nothing good. I have 3 people that have told me they will haul it home for $2k but I am waiting for one of them to do it. They are all waiting on driver availability.
If nothing happens this week then I am going to call Joliet Suspension and see about getting it towed there.
I don't want to tow it with rear wheels down but maybe it won't harm it in 50 miles?!
Not the best scenario but it's something.
I still can't believe it's this difficult to get it hauled (not towed) home. I am also entertaining buying a low long triple axle trailer on craiglist and rent a F550 and do it myself. I can always try and resell the trailer once I'm done.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #69

Trailer plan might be a little ambitious? I'd be concerned about height issues for starters...

I like the Joliet Suspension plan much better.....
Giving somebody that knows what they're doing a chance to look at it is worth whatever it costs. Have you spoken to them, to see if maybe they can't send somebody out to have a quick look at it/what that might cost?

If you explain your situation, it seems to me a shop like that might be cooperative enough to give you a hand. One of their techs might be able to stop by where it's at, and check it out after hours, then report back with some viable suggestions - a plan on how to proceed? They may even recommend a shop capable of the necessary repairs that might be more practical for you? Who better to ask for recommendations?

Best of luck! -Al
Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhounds View Post
It's stories like this that make me hesitant in buying an older Class A. I am going in a couple of hours to look at an older Holiday Rambler that is in my local area. It looks pristine on the outside, stored inside and am told everything works. Still NO ONE ever knows when things are ready to break like the story Dave has.
I ended up last night of looking at the 1987 Holiday Rambler, putting the fears aside and left a deposit for purchase. Deal will be final after the weather clears up, his yard dries up, to where we can back it out for a test drive. Otherwise a great looking rig.

Sorry to highjack the post but thought since I had posted about my fear here yesterday, that I might post an update to that.

Good luck Dave on getting your rig home or fixed then home.
bhounds is offline   Reply With Quote