Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #15

I have to say, that is a nice looking rig. If there's not any significant signs of water damage, I personally would pull the trigger at 3,000.

My assumption is that the majority of issues are die to the rig sitting for 6 years. Old gas, rust on the rotors, dry tires, and expired fluids.

I would change all the fluids, put on new tires, clean the carburetors, go over all the roof seams with Sika 505UV, and take her on a camping trip to shake out all the little issues.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #16

Get up on the roof and check out areas around the refer vent, bath vent and Ac’s. Like any house, a bad roof will cost you a lot down the road.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #17

Well .... We Pulled the Trigger!

$3800.00

https://binghamton.craigslist.org/rv...702437765.html

I feel pretty good about it.

In the interim, we went out and bought a Ford Expedition, and started looking at trailers, but there was nothing remotely as commodious or well equipped in that price range, so we decided to go back and see if it was still available.

Taking it home on Wednesday.
jbefumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #18

Best of luck to you. The one thing about owning any rv, is you better be prepare to do work on them, or pay someone else. Mine is a 2000, and I have worked on it plenty. As my friend says, "you are either working on your rv, or planning to work on your rv". I dont think it matters how new or old they are, they still need constant work. Yours look like it was well taken care of. That is a great start. Enjoy
Old 10-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #19

That's a pretty good looking motorhome honestly. Some of the above ballpark estimates are a bit on the high side. I just put 6 brand new tires on my old motorhome for less than $950. If the interior isn't trashed, then likely the roof is okay. If the roof is okay on a rig of that age, then chances are it was well maintained.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #20

I just looked at the Craigslist ad. That thing looks cherry inside! Congratulations!

I have the same chassis in mine. I suggest you pick up a can of Seafoam and dump it into the oil before you drive it home. I just did this to mine and ran it a while prior to changing the oil and I definitely noticed an improvement in the idle and responsiveness. It supposedly loosens carbon deposits, which can certainly help the lifters. I'd try this prior to a carb rebuild.

Keep us posted on your progress. I will bet things like the fridge and the generator only require simple fixes.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
I just looked at the Craigslist ad. That thing looks cherry inside! Congratulations!

I have the same chassis in mine. I suggest you pick up a can of Seafoam and dump it into the oil before you drive it home. I just did this to mine and ran it a while prior to changing the oil and I definitely noticed an improvement in the idle and responsiveness. It supposedly loosens carbon deposits, which can certainly help the lifters. I'd try this prior to a carb rebuild.

Keep us posted on your progress. I will bet things like the fridge and the generator only require simple fixes.
It really is -- as you can tell by the posts, we've been ruminating for a while, looking at alternatives, and feel pretty good about it. One advantage seems to have been that the seller really isn't an internet guy, and is way out in the sticks, some distance from the city where it was listed. Another is that my wife and I can do a fair amount of work ourselves, and have a great friend/mechanic less than 1/4 mile up the road who loves to work on Chevies 8^)
Old 10-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #22

Quote:

THANKS! Never even heard of Seafoam, but will investigate. First move will be < 20 miles, and directly to my mechanic, who will give it a going over, change all the belts, hoses, fluids, etc. Will update shortly!

Our short-term plan is to use it between home and our daughter's place, about 50 miles, as she's about to have her first baby, and wants the old folks around to help out, so this way we'll have a place to stay 8^) Will be investing in one of the roadside assistance (probably Coachnet) so if anything does go wrong we'll be able to get it back to a guy who won't take us to the cleaners.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:43 PM   #23

Is THIS the product you recommend?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Foam-...tment/16664932

Quote:

Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbefumo View Post
Yes.
Its also great to run through your generator, if you can get it to run at all. Unhook the rubber gasline, stick it in a one gallon gas can with 2 quarts of gas and a bottle of SeaFoam and let it run; does a great job cleaning out the varnish that is the bane of underused generator carbs.

And when you get around to working on the gennie, use this:
http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/ona...ting-guide.pdf

And you can get help and good prices at http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbefumo View Post
Yes, that's the stuff!

I would suggest that you go ahead and put in a can before you drive it to the mechanic. It will circulate through the oil as you're driving and clean the lifters and oil passageways. When your mechanic changes the oil, all the deposits will be removed wuth the old oil.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #26

Great links, thanks! Will try to take some pics when I get it home tomorrow!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:52 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like a little gem if you ask me. Your genset is likely an Onan. Here is a link to all of the various Onan manuals.

Index of /~n0nas/manuals/onan
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:55 AM   #28

That's a nice looking motor home. Reminds me of the GMC 3-axle motor homes from the 70's, which I also think are nice looking. Can't beat the price, either, assuming it's all there and (mostly) working, especially if you're handy.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, motorhome