Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Test House Batteries?

Will this show me what I need to know about my house batteries?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure on your exact machine, but on mine all the cig lighter plugs are powered from the chassis batteries not the house batteries. So this would only provide the voltage of the chassis batteries. You can test by looking at the voltage on each cig lighter outlet while the engine is running and then when shut off. If it drops when shutting off the engine you will know.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
No.
This is a volt meter only and will show voltage at what ever it is plugged into.
This may or may not reflect the true voltage at the batteries.
Depending on where you plug it in you will need to find out if it is house batteries or
starting batteries that you are looking at.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #4

Voltage will tell you state of charge of your batteries. As with any measure, it needs to be done properly and interpreted properly.

There are two ways to use a DVM such as pictured. One is to watch how it changes when the water pump or furnace comes on. How much and how fast it drops and recovers will tell you about the state of health of the battery.

For state of charge, check the voltage after no significant charging or discharging for at least a half hour. Start thinking about charging the batteries when voltage gets down to 12.4v, try not to let it get below 12.2v if you can, and put charging as a high priority when it gets down to 12.0v.

See What’s the battery doing? Start with a DVM. The Equus 3721 linked there has one more digit than that shown above which is nice if you like numbers. Another gadget I like is described at Nifty gadgets: “The car’s electron pressure, weatherglass, show”. It has voltage only to the tenth but the clock and temperature is useful as well.

As noted, you do need to make sure you are measuring the voltage of the proper battery and that you have good connections. These devices draw a few tenths of a watt so their power needs usually won't cause wiring voltage drops. I have seen some interesting voltage drops through rusty fuse box connections and also due to dissimilar metals on battery binding posts. For the most part, though, plugging one of these devices into a handy cigarette lighter outlet and reading the voltage when there are little or no battery loads works well.

Also note that some folks really like numbers and get one of those $200 or so integrating ammeters that try to estimate state of charge by comparing discharge energy to recharge energy. These are fun but they need to be programmed properly and you need to be aware of their limitations. With a $15 voltmeter and a bit of common sense (and, perhaps, a bit of experience), you can do just as well at monitoring your battery.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Checking the voltages with the engine running still will not tell you what batteries
you are looking at. When engine is running it is charging both the starting and house
batteries.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Checking the voltages with the engine running still will not tell you what batteries
you are looking at. When engine is running it is charging both the starting and house
batteries.
That is not true on all machines, mine included. The OP did not state what rig they have.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautkamper View Post
That is not true on all machines, mine included. The OP did not state what rig they have.
Click:

Username
View Public Profile
About Me.

Doesn't say what chassis, but it does show what rig he has.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Also it sure looks just like my old one sitting next to my Tradewinds and it is also
a 1990 Fleetwood.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #9

It is a 1990 Fleetwood with a Ford chassies

Tags
batteries