Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Walkerbunch, sorry I missed your request for the Vintage RV Owner Title, but it appears to be there now.

Looks like you have a really good helper there.

ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #44

ahhh look at you sweet people. I finally became a vintage owner I feel special I love the help I receive here You guys ALL ROCK!! Now if I had the motivation hahahaha. Ok its not the motivation.. Its those dollars I am not seeing. Going to put some fuel stabilizer in the beast tomorrow. The weather is dropping on us( have I said I HATE WINTER!!) We will get there lol. My hubby is gonna be working a few extra hours soon so maybe after all that we might find time to tear into it and see what we can do to beautiful while saving money to get it checked out. Gotta find someone who knows about Winnies and who will be truthful.. Which ones gonna be harder to find???

Walkerbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #45

Lichtsinn has always been very helpful on mine.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
both of you should come out here for the biggest Fleamarket around!! Quartzite is one big get together!! On the west side of Arizona! Its a blm land free camp and there is a trades show, fleamarkets and rv sales and all kinds of other things to see and do!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #47

Dan,
Quartsite is located on I-10 mile post 17.It is mainly a gem show held two wks in Jan.Spot cost are $484.50 to $612.50 which are booked yrs in advance.Now Yuma Park'N Swap is more in line with the kind of market I work at in Ohio which has about 1,000 vendors and is located at 4000S4th ave at Yuma Greyhound Park at 40th st.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #48

WOW! Thats alot to spend to sale lol!

Well I went out during the rain today to find where the water was coming from(this mystery puddle has been solved..I think) well looks as if we need to replace the fuzzy stuff in windows, and reseal them. The front windshield had a leak at top(no hole, just seal is old lol) and the other windows has the dry rotted fuzzy stuff and Old seal. So add that to the list hahaha. Plus we do need to figure out how to straighten the door a lil. You can see daylight at the top. So we stuffed stuff up there before the rain last night and it seems to have helped with lessening the puddle.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
If that seal is bad and the frame is black like mine I used Black RTV in a tube like caulk and made a small cut on the end and used that on the windshield and it has worked for 7 years now.Can't tell where there is black paint, Rubber gasket or rtv black!! Just a idea....
Old 10-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ya know... We have used those 29/31 sized deep cycle battery's for 10 years now and i just replaced them for the first time last year. The engine battery the dealer got from Checker Auto. But there Deep cycle battery died and they wouldn't replace it. I had one of those wally world specials put in and they have a one year free replacement and second year pro-rated. I used them for 10 months with no solar and only the generator and I have used it like i said till last year. They still worked but i wanted new so i replaced and i can't say enough about them. I don't have any use with there engine starting battery's but there Deep Cycle battery's are really good!! Maybe they are made at a different place or something...
Old 10-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #51

Ok..call me dumb blond..But since I am new to these things, bear with me..THe batteries...Are they supposed to be 2 different ones?? and the 2 batteries power different things?? If so..the one that starts the beat can be changed out.ANd this is why I can still get lights inside, and we actually could start the generator.. Looking at the batteries, these are both the same, cheapo wally world crap. Sry for being sooo confused. But was curious when I go to change them, do I need 2 different ones or what?? ANd which works for starting the beast best..Because I can not let it sit all winter.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Normally you will have a 12vdc battery for coach chassis to start the engine. There will be a nother set of two 12vdc batteries (wired in parallel)or a pair of 6vdc batteries wired in series for the coach or house batteries. The house batteeries should also be connected to the power converter and to start the generator and to operater the 12 v lights, firnace fan and possibly the frig controls.

Often the coaches will have a battery boost switch to help in starting if the bateries are weak. This swich simply connects all of the batteries together.

You can disconnect the batteries and move them indoors or get a small trickle charger and leave them on the coach.

It is good idea to start the RV every 4 to 6 weeks and actually drive it for at least 1/2 hour. By driving, you get the seals lubricated in the transmission and the engine and exhaust up to operting temperature. It is allso a good idea to run the generator for 1/2 hour each month with at least 1/2 load on it. You can load the generator with a couple of 1500 watt space heaters.

Just starting the Rv and letting it set and run fro 20 or 20 minutes is not a good idea as it does not get everthing up to temperature. Rather than idle if for a short time, it is better to change the engine oil, fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer and let it set for the few months of nonuse in the winter.

The house batteries need to be 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series or a pair of deep cycle marine batteries for a longer life. The cheapie plain automotive batteries will probably only last for two years.

Ken
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #53

Oh crud....I only saw what looked like 2 car batteries........ (i am banging my head on my keyboard

Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #54

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nothing wrong with 2 12 volt batteries....IF you can fit in a slightly larger battery give that a shot..

Jim
Old 10-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #55

Ok so we went out and looked again...Now I REALLY need a pic of someone elses.. There is 1 marine battery and 1 car battery.. But the wires under there...Its a mad house mess.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #56

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I cannot tell the size of your batteries and your correct about the mess inside.
Tie and tape back your open leads and also you seem to lack a battery clamp down.
I have a cool tool that makes up cables and use shrink tube to cover up the bare exposed ends..
Also see if you can reposition the batteries so the slightly bigger group 29s can be slipped in and clamped down.

Jim