Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2008, 04:11 AM   #113

Well its been cold and we are finally up feeling better, Now in light of Mondays theft next door, we are thinking, how we keep our stuff safe. You know this winnies windows DONT LOCK! And the front windows have no screens. So today, I am gonna finally make it out there(after I clean this house) and clean up the mess I made. After that I have to figure out how to get the windows secure. Or I am going to buy a gun. I used to think I lived in a good neighborhood. Not so this past year... Fed up here in Oklahoma
Chris
Oh and yes tomorrow we will be at hospital all day. Chase is not panicking yet.He is more mad about not getting to eat. Kinda sad to know we get to "starve" a 5 year old lolol. We have to be there at 9 am, his surgery is at 11am. Should be done about noon, then after that, its just waiting on him to wake up.

Walkerbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #114

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you have slider windows like mine you can take pieces of wood about 3/4X3/4X whatever length and lay them down on the inside and it will not let the slider window open. The bad thing is they could still break out the window and come in anyway. Sometimes we can't always win...Sucks!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #115

Chase came through like a trooper. Grumpy but good. They pulled the 2, silver capped 6 and drilled and filled 6. Complaining more about his throat hurting(from breathing tube) He was happy about the tooth fairy visit this morn, but mad because it still hurts to eat. Trying more solid food today.
It is tooo flippin cold to go out and do anything on the beast today. Tomorrow is supposed to be a little better. We will see. I wish I could be out there working on it more, hate letting it sit and not doing a thing to it. I guess all in time right.
Yeah the windows are gonna be a tough one to do. But if they break em, I will hear it. The beast is right outside my bedroom window

Old 11-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #116

Vintage RV Owners Club
That tip will work on home windows and sliding doors too!! That tip came from my late uncle, A retired officer of the police here in Arizona. Smart man he was!!! I miss him!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #117

Started the Beast up today and let her run for awhile. Actually idled really good and was very quiet lol.(It has never been this quiet haha) It was really nice outside today so we got Christmas lights put on the house(get em done before it gets cold again lol) and got a ton of trash from the storm and kids cleaned up. Had to clean up the land mines the dog left all over the back yard. And got Christmas stuff all out of attic ready to go! And we helped our elderly neighbor get her big trash to the curb. I am sure if we were fulltiming, stuff would not sit so much. But funny thing, we locked the cat in the Beast hahaha. I went looking for her..And well nowhere. So I got keys to the beast, opened her, and out ran the cat. Lil snot was just snoozin away on the bed.
Chris

Old 11-18-2008, 05:38 AM   #118

O my ITS FREEZING today! Tomorrow is supposed to be 75 hahaha. Man gotta love the Oklahoma weather. Been so busy now dealing with the thieves in the neighborhood. Can not even focus on our own stuff. Motorcycle was spotted yesterday(was believed anyway) and so we are waiting to see if it was. Because if they got this one..Maybe they have the other 2! My neighbor called me this morn to tell me thanks for putting so much effort into this. And that we would have never known any of this if I did not go out and talk to people. Her 10 year old is hopeful that this is the place and that we get them back. But ya know if the guy says no, then we are gonna go sit on the house and watch to make sure they don't move them, or if they do, we can catch them Stupid people.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #119

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thats how brave or brazen they are getting!! I got another gun coming and i don't care if they like it or not but i stopped that guy from doing ??? and I would have done it again!!! I don't know why my mind didn't work right but I am for now ok. I go in Friday to see Mental health and also MRI's on my neck and then Monday we have to be at court at 2:00 pm to see about moving home and maybe getting this case thrown out....I hope they can change the med or change the med that is supposed to help my ptsd. This will come out in court but My question is why I shut down right then??? When the cop came on scene, I shut down and that is not good!! I know what happened after but that is because they all told me but i don't remember anything but when i saw the shotgun in the officers hands and not hearing anything and i just kept walking towards him...I don't know what was gong on. At one part it was as if i was a sightseer watching it but not the one with the gun at my chest!! Anyway i am going in Friday and that will be in the records Monday!! later, Dan
Old 11-24-2008, 04:31 AM   #120

Hugs to you Dan! Lemme know how the doc went! We are off to the dentist AGAIN. Dang kid got a piece of gum Friday and popped off a new cap(new record made it a week I tell ya!) argg so off to Norman to have it replace and listen to him scream..Cuz this time he will be awake!
Started the beast up and let her run for a bit Saturday. She ran really good. We are gonna clean the carburetor out but seems that the more we start it, the better she sounds. Idling better now. But yep carb is dirty. What can we expect when it was driven maybe 2 times in a year and a half before we got it!
Hugs and loves all around be back later!!! Dentist here we come..grrrr

Old 12-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #121

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, I am back but am still not level. Right now I am out of the bed and am feeling a little high but could crash anytime. Haven't done much of anything for over a month other than move up to San Manuel. I am planning to stay here for a long period of time. I am dropping the mail forwarding an have a local address. This will give me time to work on Dusty and a couple of problems with the trailer and trooper too.
Anyway catch you later, Dan
Old 03-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #122

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wink

You still here?? Haven't heard anything out of ya for awhile, Time to be posting the rebuilds again, Smokey
Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #123

Monaco Owners Club
how is it used?

What is the part on the left with the two hookups used for?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is a circuit breaker.

Mike
Old 06-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #125

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one trying to fix up an older RV. Looking at your pictures has almost given me the courage to cut out the sidepanel on the driver's side below the window. If you have any suggestions, please email me a
@user120592@aol.com.

Thanks,

Mike
mike1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #126

1979 Dodge Vogue motorcoach - motorcoach Checklist

Hello to all, i just revived a 1979 Dodge Vogue motorcoach, and would like to share my problems and solutions with you.

Maybe this might be helpful to owners of newer motorcoaches as well.

Please be aware that i am not a professional, and on top of that human, so my solutions might be less than perfect or downright stupid.

List of things to do when you check a motorhome which is older than one year:
  • interior sniff: is it smelly?
  • interior looks: any visible stains/signs of humidity? (floor, walls, ceiling), especially corners, kitchen, bathroom - open all compartments, check under carpet
  • outside: take out a couple of screws from exposed areas (windows awnings, roof corners, ...) and check for rust - if there is rust, take out more screws to pinpoint the source - expect serious water damage. Especially fishy are screws used to mount (after sale) accessories (roof ladder, bike carriers, handles, etc.)
  • use a moisture measuring device: check the whole interior (floor, walls, ceiling), write the result on a post-it and stick it to the point where you measured. This should be done every 40 inch, covering the whole interior. If all results are the same (and low) - good. If the numbers are uneven and rise close to critical areas - keep measuring until you pinpoint the leak.
  • If you identified a leak, open the area around it (inside and outside - especially below it), and check for water damage. Be aware that water can travel long distances undetected and might leak out far from the point it came in.
  • donīt be shy to rip out all suspicious material - do it nice or do it twice is my rule for these things.
  • It might be necessary to spray the leaky area from the outside with a water hose and use toilet paper to look for humidity - dont`stop until you are sure about the root cause of the leak.
  • I definitely cannot access the suspicious location from the inside, because it is behind furniture, bath, ...?
Ok, before you go any further: this is a last resort if there is no other way, and can only be done if:
  1. your motorcoach has a sandwich type wall (e.g. GFK/Styrodur/GFK/wood)
  2. you made absolutely clear that behind the hole you are about to cut there are no power lines, plumbing (water, gas) and that you will not cut through any supporting structures (wooden or metall beams)
  3. you painted the cut lines nicely and rectangular, parallel to the vehicle structure and
  4. thought long and hard if the hole might be designed to be useful later (vent, trash box, luggage compartment, safe, ...). Check if there is a cover available and size the hole accordingly.
  • take a jigsaw and carefully cut a nice rectangular hole in the wall, make sure not to damage the cut part, as you might need it to reclose the hole later.
  • if your wall is sandwich the you can reclose the hole with the cut part and pu-foam (attention - only use the water proof type for well sealing) which you spray into the cut gap - the foam will expand and seal the whole cut (cover with tape to keep the foam from drippling onto the walls. I used aluminium ledges to cover the cuts from the outside, doesn`t look too bad (i hope)
  • use a jigsaw blade, which is not longer than the wall thickness (blade fully extended) as not to cut structures behind the wall
This is usually the point to reconsider your decision to buy, sell or burn the motorcoach, be advised that if you cannot repair water damage yourself things will get very quickly very expensive - it might be better to look for alternatives.

There are two basic types of motorhomes:
Sandwich wall motorhomes and the ones with sheet metal walls with glass wool (or other) insulation in between.

the sandwich type (most older us motorhomes) uses a metal structure for stability, and can handle water damage far better than the sheet metal wall type (most european motorhomes) which usually uses wooden beams for stability.

a wet sandwich wall will usually rot on the inside wooden layer. The rotten wooden layer can be scratched off and repaired with no damage to the structural stability of the motorhome - if the metal supporting beams are not heavily rusted, which is rare, but possible.

If sheet metal wall type gets wet, the wooden beams are being kept wet and warm in the wet insulation and will start rotting fast - meaning total destruction in a couple of years.
The problem is that many sheet metal wall motorhomes with rotten beams look nice, but are being kept together by the sheet metal wall itself, which is not very stable. So the whole body moves a lot while driving and more and more cracks develop, more leaks, more beams rot and so on.

Why is that - are the manufacturers of sheet metal wall type motorhomes all criminals who build cheap?

I think there is more to that: first, when the sheet metal wall type was introduced in europe, motorhomes were smaller and lighter and could cope with the forces created while driving e.g. over bumbholes.

Then, as customers requested more space and comfort, they grew bigger and heavier, loaded with creature comforts like central heating, toilets + water and sewage tanks, tv, microwave, a rubber boat on the roof, bikes in the back and so on.

Only ten years ago, rooftop a/c`s were very rare in Europe. Now everybody wants them, and they represent a heavy load on the weakest part of the motorhome - the roof.

In the US of A, bigger was allways better and rooftop A/Cīs were common for 30 years, so there was never a real choice for maufacturers.

Ok let`s move on - you decided to go for it - next steps:

• leaky or not - start replacing/reasiling all exposed outside seals:
  • take off all plastic or aluminium rails, corner covers, guards and so on that you can rip off the body and check for water.
  • clean all seal surfaces with degreaser (remove all old sealant with thinner), put plenty of new sealant (no silicone, the acid is bad for aluminium) an e.g. the rail und screw it back on - the excess sealant should be squeezed out along all edges. (masking tape might be a good idea) - remove the excess sealant with a spattel (there are special rubber spattels for this job which create smooth round or straight edges)
Just scraping of the old sealant without removing the rail/cover/guard will not do the job!

On older RV`s i do recommend to take out all windows, vents and doors for resealing.

I currently use one4all as sealant, i do know that there are professional products on the market, but if you spend more than 20 cardridges (and you will) it makes a difference whether you spend 5 or 15 Euros per cardridge and the price should not keep you from using the stuff generously.

Thatīs all for now, please leave comments/corrections and tell me whether you like my input and let me know your own ideas on the subject.

If you like me to go on, electrics will be the next chapter.
huda is offline   Reply With Quote