Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:54 AM   #1

I thought I would go ahead and post better pictures and some of the starting of the clean up fix up. But so many pictures. So Im giving you the link to view the WHOLE album. Most of them were the actual pictures we were sent when we wanted to see what it all looked like before we decided to get it. We will continue to update as we move along. The Beast is actually very nice. We will probably be painting the inside(cabinets aren't in bad shape) Some need replacing of hinges and latches. And lets hope I did not mess up the toilet as I pulled carpet from the back. But look at the pictures tell me what you think.
Also a couple questions. What do I need to do to fix the rubber thing around the windows(the outside)? It seems to be shrinking and Im sure water can get in. Also on the panels(where you would have doors on any other vehicle) I am positive there was water damage at one time. The door panels look old and damaged. And they are not attached. What is the best way to go about fixing those? And do they still sell paint to go over that? THe brown panel is not almost white with damage.
I am sure I will have TONS more questions as time goes on. Thank you in advance.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...lefthere/Tank/

Walkerbunch

Walkerbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:54 AM   #2

I thought I would go ahead and post better pictures and some of the starting of the clean up fix up. But so many pictures. So Im giving you the link to view the WHOLE album. Most of them were the actual pictures we were sent when we wanted to see what it all looked like before we decided to get it. We will continue to update as we move along. The Beast is actually very nice. We will probably be painting the inside(cabinets aren't in bad shape) Some need replacing of hinges and latches. And lets hope I did not mess up the toilet as I pulled carpet from the back. But look at the pictures tell me what you think.
Also a couple questions. What do I need to do to fix the rubber thing around the windows(the outside)? It seems to be shrinking and Im sure water can get in. Also on the panels(where you would have doors on any other vehicle) I am positive there was water damage at one time. The door panels look old and damaged. And they are not attached. What is the best way to go about fixing those? And do they still sell paint to go over that? THe brown panel is not almost white with damage.
I am sure I will have TONS more questions as time goes on. Thank you in advance.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...lefthere/Tank/

Walkerbunch

Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the tour! We had a 72 like that, it was fun with three kids. If I had any advice it would check the brakes and brake lines all brake parts. Brakes were just ok at best when new. We also had an 82 same floor plan the it had bunks that folded out of the storage space over the beds look inside for hinge and locks the front may drop down. Looking foward to following your progress. Andy
Old 09-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #4

It does have one side that folds down, I am sure it can be made into a bunk...For very small people lol. Very close to the ceiling. We have 2 kids and so we don't have eto worry about the bunk...well unless they decide to bring along a friend. The front end was checked before wee got it and the front tires were balanced. Of course somewhere between picking it up and bringing it home we have a flat tire on the inside back passenger wheel...Say YAY! lol. We are taking it this weekend for our first camping trip with it. I figure I wont use the stove and stuff this time until I have it completely checked. We are trying to find a place that will check it over for us. AND not charge us out the wazoo. And be honest. We are working more on it after work today. Wish us luck! lol

Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #5

Uggg found a water leak. lol. Go figure the toilet wants to leak hahaha. At least its only when you push the lever for water to fill the bowl. Guess I can get a cup and just fill it from the sink! But other than that we found no other water leaks. Need to check the water heater,stove and oven next.. Any suggestions so I don't blow myself up??

Hey I admit it I can be a little blond..........

Old 09-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #6

Well we just got back from our first camping trip in The Beast(still does not have a name yet. LOL The kids like calling it the beast) And well. Mostly we faired well. Got iup the first morning to see water dripping and found a cracked fitting going into the water tank. Sticks because we have to replace the whole line(and its through the wall) We never did use the stove but the fridge and freezer got really good and cold. A/C got really cold Actually had to shut it off because it was 59 in the Beast and 63 outside the beast that first night. No major problems there at all. We put oil in it before we left(yes still have not fixed that oil leak) and we also found links on elbows from gray water tank. But on the way home we had some excitement. Driving down really nice going really good. When all of a sudden The beast started sputtering. Then we kinda sideswiped the guardrail(the awning went back on ok hehe) Well after all was said and done we learned another lesson. WHEN THE GAS GAUGE SAYS 1/4 YOUR EMPTY! So we had our neighbors who were a couple miles behind us come help put some gas in then we had to prime it and make it 1/2 mile down to get more gas. After much figuring we found we only got about 5-6 mpg. Dunno if its because we actually got that thing up and moving or what but we hope to figure out a way to stretch the gas in it. Now we are back and have to clean it up. As soon as I get the pics from this weekend up I will post them. Now off to the regular world of taking kids to school.
Walkerbunch

Old 09-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you ran the generator it will take away from the fuel millage. And if someone siphoned any gas out of that tank, That would be why the tank Gage is off! It would be a pain to remove the tank and fix the gage but if you really want to fix it.... Good luck, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #8

We weren't running the generator. Nahh no fixy of that lol. I will focus on the main things. lol. Now that we know that if its that low. It made for a exciting trip for our first one. ANd I examined the damage from hitting the guardrail. This thing is a tank! We have a inch long scratch. And thats only from the awning coming loose and scratching! Amazing. It seemed so much louder. We hope to begin working on it more soon. Its going into colder weather season soon so we will see how much we can do over this time period. Everything I read says this is a 440..But the engine thing(Im such a girl) say 400?? Im confused.
Thank you Dan. And I loved your pics after I could finally figure out how to get to some

Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thats why i posted so many pictures.. So anyone here could see how it is done! Glad you enjoyed them. I have done a bunch of work over the last year but the awning and roof. With the trailer almost finished, I can start working on the kitchen and cab area! The work has really paid for itself! I have been having a lot of fun with the new toys!! Tomorrow I am taking the rv down to where i had the roof put on and they have to figure out how much work on the inside they have to repair. Have fun with your new toy!! Dan
Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #10

OK Question on the beast here. THere is a leak with the toilet( I dunno what kinda toilet it is..LOL I guess I should look before asking) But it does not leak UNLESS you push down pedal to either fill bowl or flush it. It shoots out the back(and alot!) Of course the PO said O no there are no leaks in the toilet(but we buy it and find a coffee can back there) Gotta love honesty. But I am assuming this leak is after the valve that lets water in. Do you happen to know if this is fixable or do I need to buy a new toilet. THe toilet itself does not look that old.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
They sale kits for the toilets and all you need is the brand and model number. Is a easy fix but someone before you may not have known what to do!! Next!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #12

HAHAHAHAHAHAAH Ok I will look into it(If you saw who owned it before LOL you would be like ummmmmmm DID YOU SERIOUSLY KNOW HOW TO EVEN DRIVE IT) Norm I would not be that mean but geez. We were told a few lies on it and so hopefully this nomad sells soon so I can PAY to have it looked at then the things we can not do ourselves taken care of. Both of us are mechanically inclined. I may not know what tool is called what but I know what tool gets the job done. I will look at the toilet tomorrow and write this stuff down and see what I can buy next hehe. And my lovely hubby just told me that this IS the original toilet(I guess since it looked good I ASSUMED(bad idea)) So we will see. But I like the way it flushes and fills LOL> THe one in the TT you had to use your foot and LIFT the lever to fill. Well ummmm I dont like to wear shoes haha. ANd this is one thing I say EEWWWW about. Ok I also need to go take pics so you can see the floor for now lol. Of course ya know things always change and we want to make it look good. And believe me..I keep getting into this and I will have more questions. I want to do it right. Not umm what LOOKS right haha.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I haunt here and one other site for rv's but am around so If you have questions, We will sure find answers around here. There is a whole bunch of people here who are like me that are master of none but We have done this before!! I aqm on the down side of the mountain now so I hope this fall and winter we will get-R-done!! Later, Dan
Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #14

Where is the best place to get new hinges latches etc for these cabinets. SO many of them are bent and half wont stay closed(ask the 5 year old who had food fall on his head..Thank goodness just lil boxes haha) And we have 1 in the bathroom that is a &*#$% to get open! I mean I could get the eye hooks but that looks trashy haha. I dont mind these handles or nuthin. But these things need to stay shut and open when I tell them too.
We will get into the more tech stuff soon Poor hubby workin to much to get to technical in it. SO I am trying to get some of the easy stuff done. BTW my neighbor that we went camping with let us know the RV is straight hehe. SO no bent frames or nuthin

NVM!!! Dumb me did a search(duh learn the search tool) Found stuff on the latches and stuff....grrr sometimes. Alright going to bed...