Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #1

Question The one I gave away

My landlord wanted me to haul away some scrap out of a backroom of my shop I rent.One item he thought was some sort of a drier used for dry cleaning.Small but heavier the all get out.I get up on my shop pick-up single handed and look more closely at is OMG it's a Onan propane RV generator model Microlite 2500 XL with a blue plastic case.Sure got me thinking about keeping it over just scraping it.But my RV doesn't have a compartment(yet) for a on board generator.And it is kind of on the small size.But on the other hand I opened the side panel and it looked new with a really nice air cleaner and what looked like a on board electric starter.Oh my what to do,what to do??..I talk myself of keeping it and on the way to the scrap yard stop by a RV shop to see if they wanted to buy it.Anytime I have seen anything Onan they where really expensive.Well I just looked up a new one and guess how dumb I am??.New they sell at $2800.00/$2900.00.Thinking I didn't want to have to take it back off the truck myself,store it,deal with trying to sell it,not know if it needed anything to run,I sold it for well................alittle more than scrap,$25.00 bucks.:fac epalm:

My question to you guys is how bad did this dealer take a advantage of me??.He was someone who I had talked to before about doing some work for me,but if I find out he didn't treat me right on this,I'll never go back there again.How much do you guys think it was worth??.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You got gored big time!!

If it ran at all they'll get $800-$1000 for it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

BOHICA!

You knew what it was. You accepted the price offered.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Wait....

1) You rent a space with storage.
2) You have an RV with no genny, but you want one.
3) Somebody GAVE you a $2500 genny.
4) You sold it for $25.

I think you should see about having your medications adjusted.

How much do I think it was worth? I think it was worth whatever you're going to have to pay for a genny later on, cause that's how much it would have saved you.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can't blame the dealer or think he was dishonest. They are in business to make money. Wow a propane generator, they run forever and have very few maintenance issues when stored. No bad fuel issues.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #6

Unhappy

Well the generator I want is a 4,000 watt or better.Yeah I know a bad excuse.
I the grand scheme of things the landlord didn't know what he was giving me and well either if I kept it or sold it for more money because I didn't tell the landlord what I found out,selling it for scrap makes it lesser a degree of me being dishonest to him if that is possible.If I kept it I would have had to store it in the shop and at some point the landlord would have wanted to know why.I pride myself as being such a honest guy that my whole life I have paid for everything I own in cash.If I have one regret,it is not to stop and find a phone to call the landlord to explain what he had.I can't undo the screwy sale I made so I could recover his loss and then not being able to tell a landlord who has treated me like family is going haunt me for a longtime.

Frankly it wasn't mine to begin with,so he offered to me for scrap,and that's what I got for it.It is the only resolution in my mind that I can take.

Thanks folks for posting.I wanted to know more for the sake of not telling the landlord how bad I screwed up.I sure do wish I had called him now.
fleamarketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #7

wow if you have have a PICK 6 ticket and match all numbers, I will give a $100.00 for it. I know the Lottery would give you a couple of MILLION but hey a $100.00 is still better then what you paid for it.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #8

Don't play lotteries.Here in NYS it was started for education yrs ago.Now less than 10% goes to the kids while schools are being closed.NYS rips off the rest from school children.FACT!!.I sleep well knowing I do not contribute to that scourge in our society.Worse case having children next to you learning how to gamble and learning a something for nothing society not having to work for what you have.Yeah our own greed has blinded our values in the worst way!!.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
What? You did what? You... You... What? Oh well....

It's all over now. Feel better? Good.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'm thinking no one knows if it was working or not, correct? If you showed up with a 'found' genny and couldn't tell me if it worked, I'd prolly only pay you $25 for it too.. Dont feel bad, the dealer is taking all the risk.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am now confused,what is this thread about, or even what is the point? Initially I thought it was about lost opportunity and lamenting.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #12

Well it is Dave.It is helping me to understand if I want to do business with the dealer that paid only $25.00 for it.That's one part of it.No matter what it does show if the guy is a straight shooter or not.Sure to make a profit certainly is apart of what he does.But with limits taking into account future business which when I sold it I told him he was being considered for some of the roof mods I want done.Now I am not sure if i want to do business with that kind of dealer.He looked it up in a catalog and I am very sure he knew the value.Then lied to me when I asked him how much they sell for new.Then lied again telling me that was a very old model.
It is also about to know how bad I screwed up.Trust me,if it has grown to big dollars,I would have told the landlord and forced him to take most of the money.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #13

Oh puleeze!! You are a grown man who didn't do his due diligence and is now crying about it. I am sure the RV dealer will survive if you don't come back. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Myself, i would have made a trade for the 4000 watt genset. Should have been worth more than 25.00!!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote