Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #1

The rebuild has begun on my 79 Honey!

Well I started the deconstruction of my “Honey.” I was so wrong on how bad the rot was and it is real bad. I don’t think this will be a restoration, but a total rebuild. Here is a photo of the van before I started.

It doesn’t look to bad on the surface. Here are a few photos of the teardown.

And when I went to take out the windows the passenger side and real walls just buckled.

The back wall is totally gone off the truck. I have to fix my webshots account so if these don’t work go here. The order is all messed up.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/577798608AtrFSY

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #2

Well I’m doing something wrong on posting photos. I used the forum links. Any input?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The last link worked well. It looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you, but I'm sure you will enjoy the results!

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #4

Here is the back wall

Thanks for the photo help! i think i have it now!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #5

I think Iím just going to get medieval on it. My wife and are discussing just taking a sawzall to it and completely start over with a bare frame. The only thing I hate is that it is built off a uni-body frame. It looks like someone cut off the vanís rear shell and stuck a camper on its steel floor. I never looked at the frame before buying it and just assumed it was a P30 style latter frame, but it is only G30 cargo van frame. What a hodgepodge this thing is.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
WOW, are you sure this is what you want to spend a lot of your time and money on? I have seen people get a fixer upper only to tear them apart and never finish them. Then others have finished them, spending lots of time and money, only to find out they do not like what they have.
So I bring this up as a word of caution.
Does the rest of the family support your idea of the fix up?
The same could be said about my '73 Winnebago. When I had it towed home 5 years ago and pushed it into the garage I heard rumbling from the family on the smell in the garage.
Once I tore the roof off and got rid of everything stinky, things were better. Now that we have put 10,000 miles and many memories in it nothing could be better.
Just a think about.. Les
Old 05-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygfunk View Post
I think I’m just going to get medieval on it. My wife and are discussing just taking a sawzall to it and completely start over with a bare frame. The only thing I hate is that it is built off a uni-body frame. It looks like someone cut off the van’s rear shell and stuck a camper on its steel floor. I never looked at the frame before buying it and just assumed it was a P30 style latter frame, but it is only G30 cargo van frame. What a hodgepodge this thing is.
The class-a's are P-30's, the c's are van cut-ways. Not a bad set-up for what their purpose is. That's a big project, have fun.
J
Old 05-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #8

Well Iím not happy unless it is truly a against all odds project. Now my wife went with me and said ďwe did a total gut and rebuild on a 100 year old house so why not.Ē Check out the before and in progress house photos here http://community.webshots.com/user/tommygfunk2002 . I also love the old 70ís jeep full-size Cherokees and have learned with the Cherokee project ďif it ainít challenging it ainít worth it.Ē After 13 years of marriage Jojo and I make a good team, thatís not to say we donít pop off at each other, but in a few hours we still friends. Anyhow I do respect a honest post and do understand the concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Indian View Post
WOW, are you sure this is what you want to spend a lot of your time and money on? I have seen people get a fixer upper only to tear them apart and never finish them. Then others have finished them, spending lots of time and money, only to find out they do not like what they have.
So I bring this up as a word of caution.
Does the rest of the family support your idea of the fix up?
The same could be said about my '73 Winnebago. When I had it towed home 5 years ago and pushed it into the garage I heard rumbling from the family on the smell in the garage.
Once I tore the roof off and got rid of everything stinky, things were better. Now that we have put 10,000 miles and many memories in it nothing could be better.
Just a think about.. Les
Old 05-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #9

I'd take a close look at the unibody for rusted out areas before I made the decision to rebuild.
I paid less than 4K for my 88 sunflyer here in Az. No rust and no water damage.

You could take a vacation and look for a replacement and probably come out money ahead. Course it would still need some work, but not as much as your.

If you go ahead have fun and take breaks from the project as it will be a long one.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:14 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Well, look at it this way. You just bought all the parts to custom build your own motorhome that's shaped like a Honey on the outside. One upside is you can completely customize the floor plan to suite your personal tastes vs trying to rebuild the original one the rig had.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #11

Well it has been a few weeks and progress is slow. I got twisted up at work so I have had to wait until JoElle and Andy could help.
[URL=http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2234739660035363822XFbSAs][IMG]http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/7981/2234739660035363822S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
It is now down to just whatís left of the floor and the cab.
[URL=http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2409586900035363822TJxloE][IMG]http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/46430/2409586900035363822S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Unfortunately the steel floor that was added over the outer van floor if rotted away and the gray water tank literally fell off the chassis.
[URL=http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2979835860035363822HCfFqW][IMG]http://thumb2.webshots.net/t/71/171/8/35/86/2979835860035363822HCfFqW_th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Iím not sure where to go from here. I need to peel off the wood deck and see what hides under the floor. Funny thing is the neighbor offered to buy it and make it a toolbox truck. Check out the webshots link for the rest of the photos.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygfunk View Post
Well it has been a few weeks and progress is slow. I got twisted up at work so I have had to wait until JoElle and Andy could help.

It is now down to just what’s left of the floor and the cab.

Unfortunately the steel floor that was added over the outer van floor if rotted away and the gray water tank literally fell off the chassis.

I’m not sure where to go from here. I need to peel off the wood deck and see what hides under the floor. Funny thing is the neighbor offered to buy it and make it a toolbox truck. Check out the webshots link for the rest of the photos.
Fixed the images. What confuses me is why you chopped up the siding vs removing it a piece at a time so that you could reuse it.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #13

Gee... Kinda reminds me of our Class C. When you get it rebuilt... DON"T put the ladder/roof top rack back on it. They just leak and rot the framing away (guess how I know). Put a rain water diverter of some kind over the rear window. The water just sheets over that. BTW, I hate my huge rear window. Nothing but fixed glass that I have to keep covered with reflectix and foam board insulation. Lose the front window in the cabover. They do absolutely nothing except heat up the interior and are potential leakers. The little side windows are keepers. Beef up the rear overhang area (wish we had done that) behind the axles. Ours is now sagging. We are hesitant to tow anything heavy.... like a Jeep Grand Cherokee. My daughter will get the Class C when we move into the skoolie. Guess what she drives! It's only temporary. We will be looking for her a converted skoolie over the next year or so.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks like you now have a pickup truck. This is a goood case of termites

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote