Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #1

The Roof Job

Today I went and purchased some big things and some not so big things.

5 gal liquid roof
3 tubes Lap sealant
1 AC gasket
1 Fridge vent cover
1 tank vent cover
1 deep cycle batt
1 engine batt
2 pkgs cabinet hardware
1 squeegee w long pole
1 scrubbing brush
1 fridge burner w/ orifice
5 qts engine oil and 1 filter
3 qts Generator oil and 1 filter
4 Generator Spark Plugs

Anyone guess what Ill be doing next weekend ?

The local RV dealer looked at my roof and suggested that I go around the roof edges and other seems like the vents with a brush and a Gal of liquid roof. I just figured if the some of the roof needs a touch-up, I better just do it all

I have watched a few videos on the correct application of liquid roof, Anyone have any other tips or personal suggestions for a first timer?
BadLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rolls of Wide (3 inch) BLUE painters masking tape, rubber gloves, disposable coveralls, disposable shoe covers, paper dust masks, acetone for cleaning, clean rags, new screws and putty tape for installation of vent covers, baking soda to clean battery trays/compartment.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #3

I think a six pack of your favorite drink, mine is root beer, would be a good addition to your list. You are to be commended for tackling these maintenance issues because this will save you headaches in the future.
You may want to slowly set aside some money to replace the roof if you plan on keeping the rig long term. This type of repair is usually just postponing the inevitable roof job.
Good luck!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #4

Well, again, thank you for your replies and support.

There had been few small areas where the roof WAS leaking. The previous owner informed me that during the last winter, some water had found its way in to a few small sealant cracks. When it got cold, the water froze and spread the cracks open. When the winter had ended, the ice melted and continued its way into the MH. It has not leaked since then. What I am now assuming is that those cracks had closed back again ( not spread open from the ice ) and now that it is Sept and the temps are going to fall again, I want this fixed to prevent any further water penetration. The damage had been minor and it is an easy fix NOW, I want to stop it in its tracks to prevent additional damage.

The guy at the local RV shop climbed up and looked at the roof for me, he suggested that I get a gallon of liquid roof to seal the cracks around the edges. Being the way that I am, I wanted to do the whole roof for peace of mind ( do it once and do it right ). So I ordered the 5 gal of LR and the AC gasket. Since I am doing that much, I should just go all the way and replace the fridge vent and the plumbing vent covers too.

Its old but, its in great condition. Since I got a good deal on it, I figured I could throw a few dollars into it to preserve it.

Thanks again..

If your interested in seeing what Im working with, here is a link to the pictures and there is one picture of the roof

Library Slideshow by Michael_Locksmith | Photobucket
Old 09-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #5

by the way, Im drinking Root beer now

But good point, My Yeti cooler will be full of Water, Gatoraid and soft drinks

Tags
roof