Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
TRD

The Second Half and Final Results

Well, we made our maiden run with the Clipper. As outlined in the post "We Made it Half Way", the first part of the trip was a piece of cake. The return was (585 miles total) just as smooth. The MH ran good. The 454 had more power than I expected. The only thing I failed to do in my pre-trip, was to take a cable for the TV.

The first night I logged into this forum, a newbie, like myself, asked a question about fuel milage. Someone replied and said "If you have to worry about fuel milage, maybe you don't need a HM". I thought that was rather assine, so if that person happens to read this, I will give info on my fuel milage.

I ran 188 miles, all interstate and tried to maintain 60MPH (my cruise control died) so I had to do it manual. I recorded 8.56 MPG. The next segment was 163 miles on 4 lane, 2 lane, several towns, multi-read lights. I averaged 7.34 MPG
On the return I ran the 188 mile segment trying to maintain 65MPH and I still averaged 8.56. I was surprised at the lack of difference bwtween 60 and 65MPH. My next trip I will be pulling a 16ft. enclosed trailer. It will be interesting to see how that cuts into the average.

The downside of the trip: I was not completely satisfied with the handling. I mentioned this in another post and I have recieved a few suggestions I will be looking into. The trip conditions included some very brisk winds across my bow. I anticipated some sway or movement during this type conditions. That didn't bother me. However, the counter-steer didn't seem as smooth as it should. It hard for me to explain, but it seemed I had to counter more than I should and when the counter steering took effect, it was sudden. I still have not eliminated the possiblity I may have some play in my front end. I had it checked before the trip, but plan to have it looked at again. Any additional comments are welcomed.

Over all, I am pleased with the Clipper for a starter MH. We will be headed out again in less than 2 weeks for a 800-900 mile roundtrip pulling the trailer.

Thanks for all help.

Terry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Glad to hear your second half of your journey is complete, and you are planning another trip with your Clipper. Happy Journeys.

ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

Hi Terry,

I remember your other post, and had intended to respond. You may want to investigate a track bar (Panhard bar). This eliminates the side-to-side rear sway on leaf spring suspension, therefore reducing the amount of counter steering (opposite lock) required. I added a panhard bar on our '99 Safari Trek, and it really improved the driving in side winds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
...The downside of the trip: I was not completely satisfied with the handling. I mentioned this in another post and I have recieved a few suggestions I will be looking into. The trip conditions included some very brisk winds across my bow. I anticipated some sway or movement during this type conditions. That didn't bother me. However, the counter-steer didn't seem as smooth as it should. It hard for me to explain, but it seemed I had to counter more than I should and when the counter steering took effect, it was sudden. I still have not eliminated the possiblity I may have some play in my front end. I had it checked before the trip, but plan to have it looked at again. Any additional comments are welcomed.

Terry
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote