Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #1

The top AC turn on with electrical outlet but not internally.

I will go get the vintage 1978 Kings Highway tomorrow It will be my first RV ever but the owner said he just shut down all the main cabin fuses so that not to drain any energy from the batteries. After he turned it on the top AC did not turn on but does turn on when he plug it on the electrical outlet therefore he is not sure if he shut down a fuse he was not supposed to or Is anybody have an idea what it can be?

the other issue for some reason the rear tail light and front tail lights stay on very dimmed. He tried all sorts of buttons but they remained on so it either a button for parking outside or it have a small ground issue somewhere,Is anybody have an idea what it can be?

I will update somemore detail when I get the RV tomorrow ^-^

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #2

The thermostat for the AC requires 12v DC to operate and control.

garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gary, on a 1978 RV, the original thermostat, was mechanical and did not require 12 VDC.

Could you provide a bit more description. I am having a problem deciphering your problem.

Are you trying to run the generator and getting the A/C to operate?

Most of the older motorhomes did not have a transfer switch and you have plug in the power or generator area that you have to plug the power cord into to get 120 VAC to the coach from the generator.

Ken
Old 03-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #4

Bourbon,

The problem with the AC is probably the switch in the overhead. These are easy to change out if you can find the correct part. If you have to remove it to show it to someone, take pictures before it is disconnected, and find the unit's wiring diagram that may be inside a cover on the roof.

As to the glimmer in the marker lights, that will take some searching. Get the headlight switch removed and then see if they go out. That will limit your search area. Good Luck on this, these can be a PITA.

Find an identifier for who made the chassis. That can/may make your life a lot easier. I often get to help of people that have orphans and bastards (Technical term meaning builder of either the chassis or coach is unknown). Any documentation is a help.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said the AC works when you plug into an outlet.

Did you mean "When you plug the RV into an outlet"?

Now RVs come in (for this discussion) 4 flavors.

Many trailers have no generator, On these the only opiton for air conditioner power is shore power (plug the rig into an outlet)

Most Motorhomes DO come with a generator, I'm guessing yours is a 30 amp and if you have TWO air conditioners (you said TOP A/C which implies ther eis another one) one of them normally has power routed THROUGH the generator, or directly from it, and there is a circuit breaker (usually 20 amp) on the generator that may have tripped to the off position.

Finally some motor homes have an optional INVERTER. this usually runs the televison(s) and related electronics, may run the microwave and/or the bathroom outlets, all off battery power, But almost NEVER runs the air conditioners. In fact I have only seen/heard of one rig where it did.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #6

Hi everyone, I have the RV now and figured out the problem with the AC. There was a hidden switch in the closet and it worked. I had problems with starting my RV today when I stopped by Walmart, a guy even tried to help me with a jump but that didnt work. I have a new problem that I wasnt expecting though. The electircal on the inside doesnt work. I bought 4 new deep cycle batteries, and I saw the video the guy made and saw the electrical working. I think he may have had the power supply plugged in at that time, so if so, I know that works. I think the problem is coming from the front because the fuse box in the bedroom looks newish, so does the water pump and tank level checker works. There is a gauge in dash that shows I have 12V DC when I turn a knob to "Both & 1" and I can turn off on "OFF & 2" . So if it shows I have 12V DC, do I need a converter of should I just change fuses? Pleeeeaaassseee HELP because we have NO power inside. The other thing the inside RV smell like gas after we drove for 2 hours and I went back to check it.

there are 2 video from previous owner so you have an idea what the RV look like ^-^

inside

Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #7

Bourbon,

You are covering a number of issues here.

First, you bought 4 new deep cycle batteries. I hope it is two pair of 6V golf cart batteries and that you know exactly how they have to be connected. The switch nomenclature makes me thing it is a marine style battery switch, This it good, but it is also saying that the batteries are not connected correctly.

If you have no DC power, and the batteries are in place, then there is a failed connection someplace. As above, the switch is mis-rigged so, no telling where the real problem is.

You do not need a new converter yet...
The converter should be a converter/charger and if it is not a newer three stage intelligent unit, it would be worth your while (particularly with new batteries) to get a good one and install it.

If by no power inside, you mean no AC when you are not on shore power, that is as it is supposed to be. Unless the unit has an added inverter (not converter), there will be no AC for the microwave or roof A/C without shore power or a generator running.

As to the gas smell.....
Do you mean LP or Gasoline.
LP should be turned off when you are driving. Many don't, but that is a risk you will have to address. Still, you should never smell it. If you have a leak find it - NOW. If you can't find it. Get help to find it.
Gasoline is probably old rotted fuel lines. Fuel lines more than about ten years old are no good with modern gasoline. Just replace every single piece of rubber in the fuel system from the tank on.

Good Luck

Matt
Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #8

Internal electrical systems are going to run from 1) Shore Power (your RV is plugged into an outlet) 2) generator or 3) house batteries. So you need to make sure that all the connectivity is in place and as you found with the AC that the right switches are flipped.

The issues that you describe above lend themselves to several conclusions but they are speculative at this point based on the info you have provided. I would guess that your alternator is not working which is why your battery was killed to the point it wouldn't jump start. Or maybe there is no isolation between your house batteries and starter battery (presuming that they are connected together in the first place) - again the fact that the main cabin fuses were shut down not to drain the battery and now that they are on the battery was drained is kind of suggestive.

As for an inverter, there probably should be one somewhere. If you are on shore power, you still have 12v lights and other appliances - like your water pumps, so something has to step the voltage down, and it may also charge the house batteries, too.

So for troubleshooting, you'll have to figure out what you have to work with. Can you get shore power - you have an adapter plug for your RV plug to something you have in your house? Do you have a generator, and does it run? If it does, do you have a transfer switch, or do you have to plug in your RV to the generator to get power from it? You just bought new house batteries, are they hooked up correctly?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #9

Okay watched the videos. The generator runs and there is a transfer switch between AC and battery, that makes me think you have to plug in to the generator somewhere.

It looks like there were 2 batteries under the hood and two in the house battery bay. The PO says in the video that they all need to be replaced so I can see why you got 4. Don't know if that rules out the alternator being a problem or not, and it also makes me wonder about battery isolation - not sure why there are 2 under hood batteries.

What do you mean that there is no power inside? You say the water pump works, so there is power, it is unclear whether you are hooked up to shore power or on battery. Also looks like the front panel is a breaker box not fuses, are they breakers in the rear, too? Are they turned on?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That outlet box in the power cord compartment does look like a "Poor man's transfer switch" which was very common not all that long ago.. You plug into it to use the generator.. NOTE: side effect, you can run an extension cord from it to a proper generator transfer panel in your house (120 volt only) in the event of a power fail. I did.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #11

Update

We already fixed the electric inside the RV. It was a fuse for the converter box that blew and needed replaced. I have a question because none of my windshield wipers work. I looked under the hood and each wiper has a seperate motor. On one motor the wires were even cut. Do I need to replace both wiper motors or could it be something else?

Tags
electrical