Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to KDbug
think of buying vintage

Ok I found a Coachman TT not sure what year (but it's a 78,79,or 80) and I think it's a 18ft. It needs a little TLC but most things are in good working order the only things it needs as of right now are the inter celling has a little water damage but the roof was repaired and it needs New tires and the A/C doesn't work, and a very good scrubbing. They want 1500 for it. the good is all the electrical and plumbing work holding tanks are in great shape, even the 3-way frig original works great. Any advise on weather I'm getting a good deal or should walk away. I know that it will probably will have to have thing updated or replaced down the line but doesn't everything with a little age.....I can back smaller trailers but don't know about this. We have been looking for a small camper for cheap when this one was brought to my attention from a family member only b/c they agree with my DH about my camping alone in a tent (know they love me but grrrrrr). My DH says it's my decision but the a/c can be fixed and it has a BATHROOM. I love looking at the older trailers but don't know if one this large for just me mostly. DH comes camping some and the grandgirls come for 2-4 weeks and in the summer and love the tent but my brother says what about when it rains and you know it's going to rain in Arkansas in may and june. OH well I love getting advice from y'all..cause then it's not BIG BROTHER giving it to me.
Thanks for the chance to express my feelings .
Happy Camping

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #2

I would be concerned with the small ceiling water leak.
How long did it leak before it was repaired? Are you sure it was repaired? If it was repaired, was it repaired correctly? Water damage that you can't see can be very expensive and can cause physical problems down the road. i.e. mold & wood deterioration.
You might consider having a qualified RV technician perform a thorough inspection and give you a report.
I think classic trailers are cool, especially Airstreams. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
yes I know it was repaired and done well this guy is a friend of my brothers and is a fanatic about these things he is only selling b/c his wife is ill and they can no longer go camping they have even got rid of his race car. He wants it to go somewhere he knows will take care of it and get some joy out of it. but you bring up a valid point
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #4

If it shows a leak it may have gotten in the walls. those a wood framed then wraped with insualtion, any water will hold in it and rot the wood.The nose knows. If any funky smells its probably rotting wood. I have repaired many. Save your money because its not easy to fix.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDbug
yes I know it was repaired and done well this guy is a friend of my brothers and is a fanatic about these things he is only selling b/c his wife is ill and they can no longer go camping they have even got rid of his race car. He wants it to go somewhere he knows will take care of it and get some joy out of it. but you bring up a valid point
nuff said. buy it.

But be prepared to at least double that $1500 cost before all is said and done.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I've thought and thought about what you've said and decided to pass on the deal and keep looking. I keep thinking I'd be doing it more to help him than it's what I want
SO THANKS
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #7

You're not stealing it....that's about all it's worth if it runs/drives well and is rust free. So it's not a "deal" basically. Under $1k, different story.

My advice: Look at older units priced around $4k, as they're likely decent and clean. You can always try to beat them down in price....$4k is often really $3k when you visit them with cash.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at the Holiday Rambler 1980-89 Imperial Coaches. They have aluminum birdcage frame that holds up really well even with age. no delamination, mold in walls ect. Roof repairs rare other than around vent pipes.

Tags
vintage