Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:27 AM   #1

Think she'll make it from California to Colorado?

Hey everyone,

I recently acquired a 34' 1986 Executive Diplomat. Replaced fuel filters, checked fuel pumps, replaced fuel lines, new air filter, spark plugs and wires, changed oil, and am having the gas tank dipped and cleaned. The 454 that's in it has 28,000 miles on it, and it mostly sat in a garage. I've taken it on a short trip(200 mi) and it ran great the whole trip.

My band and I are considering taking this for our tour vehicle next week from California to Colorado. We will probably put about 4 hrs a day on the road.

What other preparations/tune up procedures should I carry out before we head out? Should I grab some replacement parts for the toolbox, and if so, what would you recommend stocking up on?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 12:40 AM   #2

Check the age of the tires , if they are over 7 years old , they're due to be replaced before you travel that distance.

A four digit date code is stamped into the side wall near the bead , one side of the tire only so you may have to go underneath. First two are the week of production.
So 3407 tire was made in the 34th week of 2007. If the tires are older than 2009 , they are due to be replaced.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:30 AM   #3

Dito on what Skip426 said about the tires. If the tire code is 3 digit, they are pre-2000 and definitely need to be replaced

Make sure you lube the front end and the chassis, including the drive line. There are a lot of lube points on the chassis, drive shaft, suspension, steering, pedal linkages, etc. Also flush the brake fluid if that has not been done in the last 2 years. Check the condition of all the fluids and flush and replace as needed.

Rather than carrying a bunch of spares that will be a hit or miss for what you might need, I would make sure the mechanicals are in good shape. You've tended to most of the engine (don't forget the fan and accessory belts). Give the same due diligence to the rest of the mechanicals and you should have a good trip.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you replaced all the hoses and belts? Easier to do it now rather than along the freeway in 100 degree temperature.

I assume you will be going on I80 across Nevada and then the Salt Flats in Utah. Plan on 100 degree temperatures so make sure your cooling system is working.

Because school is out I suggest making reservations a few days in advance. KOA in Salt Lake City is great and one of the very few RV parks in Salt lake.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:16 AM   #5

At that age I would also consider water pump, thermostat, flush radiator, hoses and belts. I would also flush brake fluid, change rear diff oil and repack wheel bearings.
Sounds like a lot, but breaking down on side of interstate in summer heat isn't fun.

How old are your house and chassis batteries?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandobud16 View Post
Hey everyone,

I recently acquired a 34' 1986 Executive Diplomat. Replaced fuel filters, checked fuel pumps, replaced fuel lines, new air filter, spark plugs and wires, changed oil, and am having the gas tank dipped and cleaned. The 454 that's in it has 28,000 miles on it, and it mostly sat in a garage. I've taken it on a short trip(200 mi) and it ran great the whole trip.

My band and I are considering taking this for our tour vehicle next week from California to Colorado. We will probably put about 4 hrs a day on the road.

What other preparations/tune up procedures should I carry out before we head out? Should I grab some replacement parts for the toolbox, and if so, what would you recommend stocking up on?
My MH is a 82 Pace Arrow, 30 footer 454 Chevy had 44,000 miles and just under 300 hours on the genie when we bought her going on 6 years ago. I did pretty much the same things that you have done. More short trips 5-600 milers over 4 years. The PO left all sorts of new parts under the sofa, belts, hoses, fuel pump, head lights, the list goes on and on. I haven't had to use any of them so far. I also bought a KarKaddy SS and have a 99 Deville concours as our toad. I replaced all the tires and the 3 batteries last fall .
We took her from Minnesota to Quartzsite and to Yuma AZ last winter over 4,000 miles there and back and she ran like a top she used 1 quart of oil . We had problems with the KarKaddySS but nothing with the MH. The Generator ran like a top and all I have done to it was oil, filter and air filter. We drove averaging 6-7 hours a day @ 60-65 MPH.
I kept a eye on the temp, oil and battery gauges.
We are planning on taking her back too Yuma this fall.
We stayed in her from December thru March. We had a blast.
I knew the PO who had it for 28 years and took care of it.
Best of luck and keep us posted on how your trip is going,
Enquiring mines what too know...
JMO,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #7

Watch your temp guage when you hit the big hills (mountains).

T4
t4halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #8

Get good roadside and towing insurance and not the cheap stuff...Others can provide detail there.

Get on the roof and check everything for security and cracks as things tend to blow off...Old plastics may be brittle so look for and change cracked ones.

Amazon can be your friend as parts can be great buy.

Check sealing of roof and of course clean out the ac units.

Engine us barely broken in but old.

Verify all fluids good tranny too.

Find some local hills to make a test drive...over the grapevine or other good grade to stress test it.

Plug wires that old may be not so good and engine power lacking.

Reread op and saw new wires but do a good mountain test anyway just to be sure.

Tags
california, colorado