Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is a newbie question

I have asked several questions and have had many replies and I can't thank all of you enough, but being my 1st coach I do have questions so bare in mind if you all will.
There is a thread on here that asks if its ok to leave the propane on driving down the road. I knew that was good, but how about the generator? To watch tv or run the a/c"s when it real hot. I didn't think there was an issue with doing so because it has its own exhaust and I know it runs of the coach tank gas, but for the luxury items, you would need it on.
By the way since I am asking, is the house battery charged by the generator or the motor? Thanks for being informative. Tony
vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman60 View Post
I have asked several questions and have had many replies and I can't thank all of you enough, but being my 1st coach I do have questions so bare in mind if you all will.
There is a thread on here that asks if its ok to leave the propane on driving down the road. I knew that was good, but how about the generator? To watch tv or run the a/c"s when it real hot. I didn't think there was an issue with doing so because it has its own exhaust and I know it runs of the coach tank gas, but for the luxury items, you would need it on.
By the way since I am asking, is the house battery charged by the generator or the motor? Thanks for being informative. Tony
Yes it is alright to run down the road with you propane on but when you pull in for fuel be sure to have the hot water heater and the refer off.

The generator is alright to run while driving also. Just don't watch the TV while driving.

Your house batteries are being charged by your alternator while driving also by the generator while camping.

You are welcome.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #3

your rv looks like mine what year is it if its hot or grand kids with me i run gen. they can play games on both tvs the gen and alt. both charge battery
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
your rv looks like mine what year is it if its hot or grand kids with me i run gen. they can play games on both tvs the gen and alt. both charge battery
Mine is a 1988 34ft S
Old 06-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #5

mine is a 1985 28 ft
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #6

I wanted to chime in on this one. You mentioned that the house batteries are charged off of the alternator. I have a '89 Southwind and I have drained them by letting the kids watch tv on the road. I can't imagine that a tv and DVD uses that much power that it would drain the batteries faster than they can be charged. I'm wondering if that is true for all RV's or if my batteries/charging system is not working properly.
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
I wanted to chime in on this one. You mentioned that the house batteries are charged off of the alternator. I have a '89 Southwind and I have drained them by letting the kids watch tv on the road. I can't imagine that a tv and DVD uses that much power that it would drain the batteries faster than they can be charged. I'm wondering if that is true for all RV's or if my batteries/charging system is not working properly.
Just like any automotive the alternator charges the battery. In a motor home the alternator charges both, the house and chassis. Is your chassis battery staying charged?
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:

How many house batteries do you have? I found out mine is suppose to have two house and one starting battery. When I got the unit it only had two house batteries and using one house to start the unit. You may not have the correct amount of batteries on board. You should not be out running your alternator and generator. You can however out run your alternator alone. Remember, if the unit is quite old as in mine, they didn't have Tv's, game systems and such back in 73. Well they had Tv's but how many families took them camping in 73? Just some things to think about. We never seem to update the RV components to run our updated toys so to speak...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Don't know if its original or a later modification to our '89 Southwind, but our house batteries do NOT charge from the alternator, but only from the converter/charger, whether hooked up to shore power or on gen.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #10

I have one main battery and two house batteries. My main battery is brand new. The two house batteries have seen better days.
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
My house battery is 1 huge bear. 8D. Its the size of 3 batteries put together. I had to purchase a new 1 this year because I let it sit for so long and not used it. I do have a friend that works ata place that service's semi tractors, and told me they use this size in those trucks. He sold it to me for $165.00 his cost when anywhere else or online it would have cost $300.00 plus. So now I am mounting 2 battery chargers under the hood so I can keep a constant and stablle charge on both house and start batteries, I had been using thhe one I keep my chopper charged with and it does fine. As heavy as that 8D battery is I don't want to have too lift that puppy anymore. I bet that thing weighs 85pds and to lift it and stick in through the hood and down on the frame, you have to be in either great shape or it takes 2 people.

Tags