Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
bap

This is just a rant grrrrr

the wife and i love old campers so we drive along the backroads looking and watch cl everyday for oldies that pop up

this is the rant,,,,the last 3 we have seen advertised on cl with pics. of very nice vintage campers that are advertised as in very good to excelent condition, so we call them up and are told they are as pictured and everything works as should, solid floors no leaks....so we drive a couple hours or so away only to find a hunk of junk, like all the water lines cut the roofs tore apart and cracking floors falling threw awnings ripped off...like the pics were taken years,years ago when everything was good...now we dont mind putting work into a rv ,,,,if u have seen some of the pics of what we are working on......i only wish people would be honest...like the 1970 nomad we went and looked at yesterday,,,would have probably taken it if the fella had just been honest and told us the truth,,,,but after 3 wild gooose chases in a row i just thanked him for his time threw my hands in the air and told the wife to come on ...ohhh well nice little road trip..lol

sorry for ranting just had to let it out to some of our vintage lover minded people...

funny thing is we find great little shasta,s and avions just sitting in peoples yards stuffed with there clothes and junk ,,just using them as storage sheds,,,,and they will not sell for nothing and will never do anything with them except let them rot to the ground....GRRRRR!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with you,
I went to look at a 65 coupe deville that was rust free I could lift the drivers front fender up from behind the tire .
I did find a very nice 82 Pace Arrow in near perfect condition and have been enjoying her for 4 years now.
Keep looking. Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have to completely agree, we would drive for hours, one was 4 hrs away to find it rotted out in cabinets and cubby holes, I got so I wouldn't even say anything anymore. But your right if people was honest and tell what it is sometimes you will buy anyway. We have bought alot off CL but it really is buyer beware.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
That is one reason I do not use CL.

Not enough honesty there.

I know lots of people use it, and successfully, and I respect that, but for me? No thanks.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #5

You just have to open a lot of oysters to find that single pearl.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry about that. When we were looking for our RV, we pretty much knew that would happen and decided to put a limit on how far we would drive to go check one out. That, and my specifications on the length that I wouldn't go longer than 24' even though the spousal unit tried to get me out to a couple of 26 footers, I still said no.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
bap

lol,,,,i dont mind opening oysters anytime,,
i buy and sell alot of stuffon cl, mostly jeep stuff though,,and have found a few nice campers on there,,,and a real nice 96 fleetwood southwind that the wife and i lived in for a year,,,but what do these people think when u pull up and see what they said was in exctremly good condition with no leaks and solid floors when you can lay under it and see the sky....duhhhh..
when i sell something i will tell you all the bad and then the good,,,,i wouldnt want someone driving a single mile without knowing the truth...ive been told that i sound like im trying to talk someone out of buying a jeep that i had for sale once that the frame had been rusted but plated and welded back and that the body wazs rusted about in half...i would hate to tell someone that it was perfect and them drive to my house and see it in person with all the flaws that it had,,,sold that jeep to a fella that just loved it and fixed the body...the thing ran great and would go anywhere,,,but sure wasnt like new...lol
people just need to be truthfull...
Old 09-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

Been here too....
I think some of the issue is not dishonesty sometimes, it's that the owners are clueless?

Before I drive more than an hour or so, we'll be questioning the seller extensively by phone, and likely asking for photos of known trouble spots (like ceilings) even if they have them shown already in the listing. Part of the reason for extra pics is to confirm the seller actually has the coach...
Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #9

craigs list is largely occupied by bottom dwellers. There's a reason it's free
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
craigs list is largely occupied by bottom dwellers.
bottom dweller? Well, I've been called crabby before, but never (until now) a crab....

CL is priceless for selling things that are too large to ship, or too cheap to add shipping charges to; appliances, chainsaws, furniture, etc.

The only caveat about CL is to change your buying process and ASK questions. In the case of the OP, ask for specific photos that show what you want to know about.

Taking somebody's word without asking for photos is a mistake. Also, anybody that doesn't want to take photos of what you ask for isn't going to be a serious seller. That's good to know before you drive out of the yard.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I just posted a car for sale on Ebay and listed the things wrong with it. I prefer not to repeat my self every time someone asks the same question. Like how much do you want for it?, I finely added it to the for sale sign in the window...
Honestly is the best policy I think anyway.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
bap

i guess its hard for an honest person to actually think like a dishonest person,,
from now on i will ask for more pics of what i know to look for,,,like unblurry pics of celings and cubby holes..lol...
thats good advise thank you for that..,,..

its a shame the world has come to this,,,we (my family and friends) still live by the value of truth....your word is the truth...
Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #13

I think RVs tend to inspire a certain level of misrepresentation. They tend to be expensive when new, and loose their value fast. No one really wants to admit how fast they loose their value, so they tend to believe their vehicle is better than it really is. They paid a bunch of money for it, so they have a hard time admitting to themselves that it isn't worth anything. Owning an RV can be a status symbol. You can tell someone that their so called status symbol is a piece of junk. It gets real personal.

One of the biggest skills to develop when shopping is not to ask leading questions. It is human nature to want to fit in and be part of the conversation. This tendancy causes people to give inaccurate answers, unless the question does not already suggest they "correct" answer. Its like when asking about the pictures, you ask when were the pictures taken, not how old they are. Don't ask what kind of shape it is in, as it will always be in "pretty good" shape. You have to ask specific questions, like are there any stains on the ceiling, or if they can take pictures of the interior around the windows.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
bap

i agree with that and well, we know we are looking for vintage stuff and mostly has gone threw time of being new and well taken care of then it got old and left alone for years after the glimmer is gone ......its just when people flat out lie and send or show u pics that are totally not true,,,,--we dont excpect to find perfect when searching for pre-1980s thats a needle in a haystack...we have gotton lucky before and found some stuff that was in awsome condition and we knew we got lucky with those finds,,,,
like ive said before we dont mind to even strip it down and redo everything as long as it has good bones we(the wife and i) enjoy fixer uppers ,,,its a fun hobby to us we to be honest want to have several oldies sitting around the pond and set up a little vintage campground for the family to enjoy....and when we feel like going somewhere hook up to one and head out for a jaunt,,,we actually love living in campers it suits our lifestyle just fine..
i just dont understand why people purpously lie and show untrue pics of stuff..and this is becoming more and more frquent...i just dont get it......