Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
This Project could use YOUR HELP!!

Its my 1982 HR imperial 33ft 454 Chevy Chassis. After new master cylinder, Starter,Drive shaft and Batteries, now she wants new shocks, but first we need to know what we are looking at. According to the specifications this rig had Hydraulic Leveling Jacks which no longer exist at least no controler for the system inside the rig. What am I loking at in the photos; #1,2&3 are from the driverside rear between the double wheels and tag axle, Photos #4&5 are the same item but on the passenger side, Photo #6 is the air valve for air shocks above these items. My question does this belong to the leveling system? Where should we start with these repairs, keeping cost Medium-to-low
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks 001.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	13383   Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks 002.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	13384  

Name:	shocks 003.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	13385   Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks 004.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	13386  

Name:	shocks 005.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	13387   Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks 006.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	13388  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #2

What you are looking at is part of the Mor-Ryde tag axle system and they are very much in need of replacement. MorRyde still stocks the rubber parts and offers support. The rubber has come unvulcanized from the metal plates. That is not good. There was quite a discussion on this on an RV.net site about a year ago. Read pages 46, 47, and 48. Actually, the whole thread is pretty interesting. You will learn something from it. Just click RV.Net Open Roads Forum: The old girl is back - where to start

Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #3

By the way, did you look behind the driver seat for the leveling controller. It is a bunch of levers with green and red lights and an on/off switch. Under the front bumper will be two hydraulic cylinders with springs on both sides laying back flat against the chassis, if you still have levelers.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
By the way, did you look behind the driver seat for the leveling controller. It is a bunch of levers with green and red lights and an on/off switch. Under the front bumper will be two hydraulic cylinders with springs on both sides laying back flat against the chassis, if you still have levelers.
Yes I have looked every where for the controls, Nothing here is what my front looks like maybe the pictures will help, i dont know what Im looking at
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shocks 010.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	13393   Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks 011.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	13394  

Name:	shocks 012.jpg
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	13395   Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks 013.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	13396  

Name:	shocks 009.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	13397  
Old 08-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1. shock with coil spring over it like a Load Leveler, don't think those are stock. Probably installed to make up for the bad air bags.

2. Coil spring for the steering stabalizer

3. Rotted out air bags in the front coil springs.

4. Front suspension and lots of rust.

5 .Your sway bar bushings are shot too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:23 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Pretty much looks like a suspension rebuild is in order...
Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
OK I located the service manual for the tag axle rubber suspension, the rubber springs (2) G04 each side needs replaced also the shock absorbers(1) is missing.
The manual reads; Make sure vehicle is elevated chassis supported w/stands, and the suspension hanging unsupported? Is this elevation with wheels off ground? (tag axle wheels)?? also there are air tubes inside of coil springs was this an add on? Manual dont show air tubes what will be replacement part for these? same as air tubes in front springs?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tag repair 001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	13398   Click image for larger version

Name:	tag repair 002.jpg
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	13399  

Name:	tag repair 003.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	13400   Click image for larger version

Name:	tag repair 004.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	13401  

Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #8

I would like to show you show you some pictures of the underside of Holiday Rambler but I am presently at the lake enjoying it. All my pictures are on my home computer. You have a safe steer device on your front wheel. That is the thing with the springs connected to the front wheel. That is a good thing. If you ever blow a tire, you'll be glad you have that.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I know you have a lot of items in/on your project. But, I discarded the air bags in my front coil springs and installed heavier coil springs. The motorhome sits up, looks good and I'm satisfied. I don't like air bags.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
I know you have a lot of items in/on your project. But, I discarded the air bags in my front coil springs and installed heavier coil springs. The motorhome sits up, looks good and I'm satisfied. I don't like air bags.
X-2! New front bags are 100. New front springs, heavy enough to get the job done nicely WITHOUT the air bags 168. Not much more difficult to install. The new air bags I installed in mine when I got it would raise the front of the coach about 1/2" going from 20 psi to the max of 90psi. The new springs raised it 3-4" - and guaranteed no more hassles of screwing with air bags.

You need to talk with Mor-Ryde about those delaminating rubber springs. The new rubber "springs" are slightly different from what you have, combining 2 layers into one, so that there are 2 of them per side instead of 4 like you have now. You need to support the coach in a manner that will allow you to line up the bolt holes when installing the new "springs". I think they told me they were 200. each/800 total.