Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #1

Tips for running pex?

So we bought an old TT and it has the metal pipe run from the HWH throughout. The faucets have been updated but none of the lines have been. I unhooked one of the lines from the HWH because it was kinked and I was going to replace it. Upon removal I found some NASTY rust gunk crap in the pipes. No way is my family even going to shower with this stuff....

So I'm going to run pex. I love pex, its amazing! BUT i've never run it in a TT so I was hoping for some tips if possible from someone that has done this without a frame off restore... It looks like there is plenty of room to run the lines where the metal lines are now and I don't intend to take the old ones out but I don't know if my 6'0 260# self can get under the cabinets to well to do the T's and 90's in this 19' camper.

Any and all tips are greatly appreciated!

1 HUGE benefit is that all the water lines are on one side, no need to go to the other side of the unit. and I don't intend on hooking the fresh water tank back up as it is useless for our needs.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Plan ahead, make diagrams, put in lot of valves. I used a shark bite that screwed into the fresh water tank and connected to the pex. I used brass valves in mine, the sand in Michigan and the plastic valves did not mix well (and yes I was using a filter). Mine was originally cpvc tubing and I left some of it in because it would be hard to take out. I put in a whole house water filter I got at lowes, make sure you can change the filters easily.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Plan ahead, make diagrams, put in lot of valves. I used a shark bite that screwed into the fresh water tank and connected to the pex. I used brass valves in mine, the sand in Michigan and the plastic valves do not mix well (and yes I was using a filter). Mine was originally cpvc tubing and I left some of it in because it would be hard to take out. I put in a whole water filter I got at lowes, make sure you can change the filters easily. Keep diagrams for future reference.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #4

filters.... what are those? LOL

yeah, i have a spot picked out that I want to put a filter in for sure. I use one outside to save the water heater and then i figured if i'm doing this i might as well put one inside that catches more.

did you install any of the T fittings that would go up to the sink or whatever along the way BEFORE you slid the lines in or did you crawl in under and cut and install after it was run? I was thinking of measuring and installing a couple of the T fittings and then slide the entire pex line in. then i only have to reach in there to push the vertical pipe on and crimp it...
Old 12-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
bap

only if people would look in there metal water lines they wouldnt even let there pets drink from them..lol
since i havent seen where or what ur working on all i can say is the shark bite connectors are great...in my opinion way better than crimping,,i have plumbed many mobile homes,houses, and rv,s there the best thing since a pocket on a shirt..u just slide ur pipe in and it lockes together, no worries about leaks ive never had one leak and i have used 100s of them..
Old 12-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #6

Go to harbor freight and get a bore scope camera or snake camera.

We repiped our 38 ft cc and it was a chore but did not remove anything but a cover or 2.

The camera has a long reach and ours came with a hook that snspped to the end so you could see what you were fishing for.

Pull cord or wire first then use that to pull pipe.

Get a manifold valve so each item has home run feed and no splices or connectors other than at manifold and device so easier install...did not know about it when we did ours but woild not have been able to anyway but you may.

Remove water tank and convert to storsge if not to be used.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
bap

man i need to get one of those,,,sounds like something i could use alot,,
Old 12-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #8

I too am a PEX fan. I completly re-plumed a '78 Argosy that had copper pipes. The pex worked out great. A big "yes" on Shark Bites. Also, remember that there are some cramped places that you will not be able to crimp the ring because you won, t be able to open the pliers enough. So be carefull and plan ahead.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Did you try running Bleach down the pipes? I'm not sure on the rust, but I would think the bleach would do the trick on the black mold???
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Lowes has Pex in stock and the tools for installing. Two crimpers for the rings were available. I picked the ratchet type since it can be used one handed and in tighter spaces. The Lowes rep told me that many motor homes use a Pex that is slightly different in diameter than what is used in houses. This seemed ridiculous but when I measured the OD of the Pex in my MH it was indeed about 1/16 inch larger in diameter than what is at Lowes. However, this made no difference in the older MH fittings or crimp rings and caused me no problems.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #11

These are my own personal feelings. In a prior life I was a plumber. I used Shark Bite fittings but only in exposed locations, not comfortable with them long term behind sealed walls or floors. I like the Uponor PEX system and it is a double compression connection that is reliable. The Flair It system is seen on many Rv's today and it is a screw together flare system that is even easier than the Uponor or compression ring systems. With any of the systems you can preassemble some connections before install to make it easier. There are 3 types of PEX pipe. I think PEX A is best for your use. More flexible and better resistance to freezing. If you cut out your old pipe you can use the existing holes for a neater install. Since you don't have many runs the manifold would be overkill and more expensive also. It's a fun project and you will feel good when you finish.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #12

Try to route new pipe so no connections under or behind something that prevents access.

Redid our 1989 cc that had pb hose.

They did fantastic high quality work including strapping the pipe to floor every little bit making removal not possible but with the camera we were able to snake it through spaces behind and under things.

Used all 100 ft in the roll with only about a foot leftover in trimmings.

Get more than you think you will need in the bulk rolls and be sure to leave service loops or extra length here and there to make it easier to do the work.