Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #1

tire lifting

I need to remove the rear wheels of my Holiday Rambler for some maintenance. They are 19.5 X 8. As I get older I don't have the strength to lift them anymore to put them back on. Do any of you know of a tool that will help lift a heavy tire to put it back on the studs? I'm not looking for some expensive hydraulic device, just a simple lever bar or something similar.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #2

Watching the "pros" do this they don't even lift the wheel... Jack just high enough to "slide" or "rock" the wheel off and then align the lug holes and "slide" back on to install. Sometimes they will use a short pry bar under the tire like an old style car lug wrench tool. The key is to minimize the jacking height...
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am 71 years old. I have used a huge screwdriver for the past 10 years. Buy a cheapy at Northern Tools.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suggest a 3' length of 3/4" iron pipe. Place the pipe under the right side of the tire and steady the tire with your left hand. Raise the pipe with your right hand...lifting the tire just enough to get it level with the lug bolts. This is similar to how the big truck tires are manipulated.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #5

When I change a tire I use a ordenary dirt shovel, slide under tire gives 3-4 inches lift, works great.
jerry1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #6

i work on big trucks for a living and teaching new hires to handle tires is interesting, no two people do it the same but probably the easiest would to jack the tire up about 1 inch off of the ground and use a large screw driver or a small bar. find the length that is comfortable for your strength level then you raise the the up on the studs if you need to rotate the tire you use the bar on one side of the tire and roll it around the hub till it lines up with the studs. the leverage of the bar will let you lift just a small fraction of the weight and the bar will do the rest of the hard work good luck and be careful while perfecting what ever method works for you
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As I remember Harbor Freight has a tire jack unit that cradles the tire and has two small wheels on it for exactly this use. I think it also allows the tire to be rotated to line up the stud holes. Not sure it'd work on 22.5's or 24" tires though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
The pros use a tire iron as pry bar. I figure if it works for them it should work for you. Although I do like the idea of using a shovel. That just seems like it should work. Especially if a "helper" were to be out on the end of the handle.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the shovel idea but I'm also going to check out Harbor Freight.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #10

My 19.5 wheel / tire weighs 100 lb. I made a tire jack out of three pieces of 1 in. pipe and two angles. This looks like a "U", but with 90 degree corners. Place the two legs under the tire, and lift with the cross piece. Tools like this can be purchased, but I made mine for just a few dollars and it's very easy to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the shovel idea but I'm also going to check out Harbor Freight.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pry bar and block of wood to use as a fulcrum. Operate the pry bar with your foot leaving you hands free to manipulate the tire.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #12

Actually the block of wood will try to move the tire away from the hub. It is harder to get the tire back on than off. The fulcrum will assist in getting the tire off.

A simple aid can be made out of two 2 X4 boards and a board to go across them. Think of the shape of a capital A. Make the legs of the A wide enough to go along the sides of the tire. Put a bolt thru the 2 boards at the top, then nail or bolt the cross piece so the legs of the A don't open up. Lift up on the peak and slide off or on as needed.
If you bolt or screw it together you can then remove the cross piece and store it for later use.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #13

a pry bar works good use a block of wood if need extra height i use this method to put tires on my farm equipment i figure if it works to mount a 20.8 38 tractor tire should work good for rv
Old 12-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #14

I have installed many big tires with the pry bar, then got smart after arm surgery and used the wheel dolly we had in the shop. We were using the dolly when we had to pull the hubs and tire for brake service or leaky seal. The guys kinda ribbed me at first, but then they started using them too. We had to buy more dollies.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote