Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #1

Tire PSI ?????

Wonder what some of you folks are running for tire PSI in the general size/weight MH as our '88 27 foot Winnie? Yeah, the "recommended" PSI is molded right into the tire sidewalls - so are you guys going strictly by that - or otherwise?

Our rig weighs about 14K lbs, and has 19.5 "F" rated tires - info on the sidewalls has specs anywhere from 70 PSI to 100PSI, depending upon load. I see lots of guys in the newer/larger MH's are running 100 PSI in their tires, unknown if that's the actual spec for their tires/load - or just their personal preference for inflation?

In general, I'd sorta like to run my PSI somewhat higher than the 70-80 PSI stated on the sidewall - what are you guys doing?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Weigh your rv, compare that against the gvrw. The mfr's label will tell you how much pressure at full gvrw. Most gas class a's are at max gawr. Mine is 15,000 gawr; wet weight is approx. 12,500, label says fill to 70 psi. Be sure to check air cold.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Weigh your rv, compare that against the gvrw. The mfr's label will tell you how much pressure at full gvrw. Most gas class a's are at max gawr. Mine is 15,000 gawr; wet weight is approx. 12,500, label says fill to 70 psi. Be sure to check air cold.
J
OH, I already know what my rig weighs, both front and rear - also can read the door tag on the rig and whats on the tire sidewall - MY question is, is that what pretty much everyone is really running - or perhaps a bit higher for improved fuel economy, for instance...
Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Any .5" style rim doesn't have the bead locks that an whole number rim has. You usually can't go more than 10-20 PSI below the recommended PSI on the sidewall as the air pressure is what holds the bead on the tire.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I run 70 psi, never had a blowout and the ride is good. I will be adding a trac bar soon but that's for the nasty winds in the cajon pass. ( i-15 in so cal)
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Those Goodyears (225-70-19.5) on mine are marked 95 PSI and I run 90 PSI summer & winter....
Sure, Lower pressure means better or softer rides BUT "imho" it also takes more power to push those under inflated tires...Hate spending my money on fuel...

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #7

I run mine between 70 and 80.
TheDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #8

Thanks guys - as I recall the generally accepted rule of thumb, UNDER-inflation MIGHT deliver a softer ride, but can also raise tire heat due to greater sidewall flexing - as well as accompanying uneven tread wear and tread separation and failure.

OVER-inflation MIGHT result in a harsher ride, will possibly cause tire to wear quicker down the center of the tread, but CAN deliver better MPG and cooler tire temps.

All the above is assumed to be based upon *reasonable* over/under inflation, nothing radical!

I think I'll try 80 on the fronts, 90 on the rears - still well below the max manufacturer's rating at full load...
Old 12-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I am in agreement with Gary. I researched every thing about weighing the MH and looking up the PSI values till my eyes started to glaze over. I figure my coach is close to or at max weight so I just split the difference between the manufacture plate (84 psi) and the max sidewall listing (95 psi) and fill to 90 psi cold. It is easy to remember and I would rather have a slightly harsher ride than risk damaging my tires.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote