RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #1

Tire PSI Question

I have a 1988 Holiday Rambler Class C 24' that is on a Ford E350 chassis with a 460 engine. My tire sticker on the door is from Holiday Rambler and says with tire size LT215/85R16
GVWR is 11000
GAWR Front is 4200
GAWR rear is 7400
It says max psi cold single is 58
It says max psi cold dual is 58

When I bought it the guy had been running higher pressures (70-80) but I also had two blowouts within a mile of each other after a few short trips. I guess it was dry rotted tires then but it would get 8-10 mpg with those pressures.

After the blowouts I installed new Firestone Transforce HT LT215/85R16 tires. Firestone says the max air is 80 psi. The Ford rim is stamped do not exceed 65 psi.

I have been averaging 6-8 mpg with 58 psi in the tires but that really seems to be a little low from what I hear everyone else is running. The coach does ride smooth and seems fine at 58 psi. What tire pressures should I run?

Thanks,
Zoom45

Zoom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Does the sticker in your RV really use the word 'max' ?
I would expect 58 to be the minimum, not the maximum, tire inflation.

The only REAL way to determine what the tires should be inflated to is to load the rig as though you were going camping, then take it to get it weighed (at a truck stop if you've got one close, a feed store if you happen to be a country boy).
Then look up the Firestone inflation tables online, that will tell you what Firestone recommends for tires carry that specific weight.

Personally, I'd probably inflate to 65 or a wee bit less. That's the 58 on your sticker plus a little bit for extra. I'm working on the assumption that your sticker is telling you minimum inflation, not maximum.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
May not be a n issue here, but the max PSI should never exceed the powest PSI rating of tire and/or rim. Also be aware that valve stems have different ratings, rubber inserted vs. steel bolt-in stems.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #4

The sticker does not say Max but it does on the rim and it does have the steel valve core.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1513970050
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire sticker.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	186472   Click image for larger version

Name:	stamp on rim.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	186473  

Zoom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Read the sticker as minimum, and you're right the rim clearly says maximum (note that it specified 'cold', so a higher temp when rolling down the road is expected and OK).

So *I* would take a somewhat middle ground between those two numbers.
62, 63, somewhere around in there.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #6

Once you get axle weights, you can then look up the pressure that those tires want at the weight you have.

Frank

F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote