Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

tire size discontinued

Well I am having a problem finding new tires as they told me many do not make my size any more. I may have to go to a different size. I have 750 16r on there now. any one gone to a different size or have this problem? and wondering what size to go to? Just checking on here as I am sure well I hope my Goodyear guy that I been going to for years will figure it all out for me.
Elecmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yokohama*Y785R
Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Goodyear WORKHORSE RIB LT7.50-16 E/10PR - tires-easy.com
Old 10-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

I have 7.50R16's on my motor home too. I am going to purchase four new tires for the rear before next summer and have settled on LT215/85R16's They are slightly wider (not enough to cause any problems) and slightly shorter. I am going with these because I have a small error with my speedometer and this slightly shorter tire will perfectly correct this. If your rear wheels have enough space between them then you could also put on a 235/85R16 which would be noticeably wider and slightly taller. Either of these would be a better option because they are common sizes that you can purchase at most any tire shops nation wide should you have an emergency. You will also find a larger selection to chose from to fit your needs and in my search for tires I also found a better tire for less money.

What is the GVWR for you motor home?

I ask because the other posters recommend a tire with a load range of "E" and "G", which may be overkill for your specific needs. I have a tire with a load range "D" on mine, all four tires for the rear of my motor home are under $700 mounted, balanced and out the door. The recommended tires above were $229 and $285 just for one tire.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #5

Just an update......I ordered seven 215/85R16 Cooper Discoverer HT's for our motorhome a couple of days ago and after some haggling I paid $1109.71 for all seven mounted and balanced out the door. This got me a tire with a load range "E" and is rated as a long lasting, quiet running tire that is made in the US.We are long overdue; our fronts are about eight years old and our spare and rears have DOT numbers that end with "7". I'm pretty sure that they were manufactured in "97", not "07". YIKES, but all will be well by next week, finally.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
our spare and rears have DOT numbers that end with "7". I'm pretty sure that they were manufactured in "97", not "07". YIKES, but all will be well by next week, finally.
Sounds good!

Just popping in with a bit of trivia re that DOT code- the way to tell the difference between 2007 and 1997 is that as you can see in the image below the date code numbers after the year 2000 are four digits, while those before 2000 are only three.

If yours is a three digit combination, the first two are the week, and the last one is the year-in-the-'90's.

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #7

Been a little while since I looked at the DOT number, but either way I was mistaken. Only three digits at the end of the DOT number......344, so it ends with a four not a seven. Thirty-fourth week of 1994 isn't bad right (sarcasm), they're just short of nineteen years old.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3154831396.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	33214

The fronts have a DOT number ending with 1003, so I'm guessing they were manufactured the tenth week of 2003. They are also a little older than I thought. Just short of nine years old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2154380699.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	448.4 KB
ID:	33215

One more week and I will be running good tires and a reliable spare. Never been so excited to get new tire before.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'll bet you're looking forward to that!

Those rears look pretty weatherchecked- no surprise on rubber that old, right?

Are the miles on the moho relatively low, maybe accounting for why the P.O. didn't change the tires out long ago?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #9

It has around 97k on it. We are the third owner and judging by the receipts, the previous owner just neglected it. The original owner kept good care of it and meticulous records. He was probably the one the last replaced the tires.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, in your hands, I'm sure that pretty soon it'll be lookin' like new!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Well, in your hands, I'm sure that pretty soon it'll be lookin' like new!
Thank you.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #12

Dang that's a good deal for the tires. I paid about $900-1000 for 5 for my Class B. It had old 16.5" tires and rims so I got some some junk yard 16" rims. Some of the the tires looked to pre-date the standardized date system and one or two were meant for a mobile home! They had tread like this:

I got a set of Dunlop Rover H/Ts in LT225-75R16 load range E which is the 16" equivalent size used on Dodge vans after they dropped using 16.5" rims and 8.00R16.5" tires. That included road hazard.

I had an F150 that had Cooper Discoverers when I bought it used and they seemed good. (they were still on it when I sold it a couple years later). However, I put a couple Cooeprs on a Corolla I had some years back... I was treated badly by the manager in the store and the tires barely lasted despite proper alignment. They simply wore out to the point of almost being bald. By that time I was about to get rid of it due to accident damage otherwise I would have gone back for a new set... having only put about 10k-15k miles on them.

I considered the getting Coopers you got for my van but after those I bought for the Corolla, I didn't really want to risk it. Not all Coopers are USA made, either. It would have been a little cheaper come to think of it. The Rovers were more expensive but they also appeared to be a better tire for water dissipation based on the tread pattern. Had I needed 7, I mighty have gone with the Coopers as well.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #13

Not a bad price, mine does not include road hazard. That made my purchase about $210 less than it would have been had I purchased the road hazard coverage. Have you driven it much with the new tires? How do you like them?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #14

Almost none so far. Maybe 250-300 miles tops, and that's just from here to town and back (about 40-50 miles round trip) when I went up there with it for some reason or another with it.

I am preparing to full time with it in the next few months.

They seem ok so far but 300 miles is hardly enough time to know for sure.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote