Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Question Tires

Next saga on the old Rockwood on an E350. I tried to get new tires and found only one supplier. I am told the 8.75 R 16.5 is no longer made. I can get enough for this time but doubt there will be any more IF I were to actually wear (rather than time-) them out. Any recommendation on size to change to in that unlikely event? One source said I might have to go to a 16.0 tire. What would that do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 AM   #2

I have the same issue with a 79 F350 that I'm restoring for a toy hauler and TC. The 16.5" tires are getting hard to find. I just picked up a set of 16" from a later model 1 ton. The 8 lug pattern is the same up to 1987 on the F series trucks and up to 2005 or so on the E series vans. The 16" are readily available and cost less than the 16.5". If you go this route, get tires with the same outside diameter as the OEM tires so you won't change your performance/mileage/speedometer/handling.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Goodyear WORKHORSE RIB Tire - 8.75/R16.5 0 SBL sold at Sears
Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks

Thank you ccook. I just had two "Wildcat"s installed on the front today. This was from Las Schwab. The only local supplier I could find who could get that size. I didn't think of Sears. I'll check them for the remainder, now that I'm committed to stay with this size.
Some interesting info related to the FAQ info on tires in general. I replaced the tires because they showed some wear (50% maybe) and seemed to handle wet roads poorly. There was some light checking & cracking around the bead. Thought I'd save these to put on the back when they wear out. Didn't get them back! The cracks go all the way to the chord! I checked the manufacture date - 1991 That rule of thumb for around 5 years may be a good one. Guess I'll be seeing Sears sooner than I thought
Old 09-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #5

http://http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html I got a long list of these tires with the dogpile search engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I ran into this problem with a vintage winnebago axle I'm transplanting onto my pickup. Came with the original 16.5" rims + the vintage tires, which scarily enough were still holding pressure, being nearly 20 years old!

I wound up buying a set of 4 used 16"x6" dually rims that had come off a Ford pickup to replace them. Now I can use the stock tire size on all of the rims, 235/85/16, that my truck originally came with.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Do you get the same load range and weight carrying capacity with the smaller diameter? I guess it isn't a clearance problem on parking lot exits if you find a tire that gives the same height.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
With a little searching at the local tire dealer's catalogs you should be able to find a comparable Load Range E tire that can take the place of the old Bias tire. The fun part will be needing to buy 6 new rims, in addition to the tires, as you CANNOT mount a 16" rim tire on a 16.5" rim.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
I had an entertaining event yesterday. I took the MH in to the local tire shop for retorque on the front. I bought 2 tires a couple of weeks ago. While there I asked them to check the pressure in the duals and sat back to watch. After switching tips a couple of times with no success the technician had to remove the axle cap (just pulls off) AND the "beauty rim" over the outer. This involves removing three lug bolts to get the rim off. After that it was easy to reach the stem. Glad I had him do it! Now I know the drill and the lug nut size (1 1/16"). The lug nut torque is way up there also - forgot the # (150ftlb?). This is on a Ford E350 chassis. When I had the fronts installed I asked about longer metal stems and they didn't have. I know there is a lot if info on the FAQ about dually tires. I'll go back there for info on stems.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #10

I suggest you bite the bullet and buy seven (number seven being the spare) new 16 inch rims and whatever tires you see fit...and be done with it, if you plan to keep the rig. A LOT of the 16.5's rims out there are getting so old that they are rusting internally. Eventually this can lead to air loss around the bead.

No worry regarding the change in size, it's almost impossible to tell, you'll notice nothing after the swap. They look exactly the same.

One caution, a lot of the older Ford chassis used LEFT hand threads on the left side duals. Some tire shop workers do not know this and will turn the guns up, trying to break them loose...going the wrong way. Go take a look at what you got and make a note. Also, keep a watch on the lug nuts, they can back off...from either side if they are not kept tight. Even the smallest amount of looseness from spec can snap a stud right off when the wheel rolls, because of the rim flex under the extreme weight of these RV's. Ford changed the lug nut design on newer trucks and Vans, now they have a large flange on the nut and are all RH threads, on both sides. I've not known these to have as many problems.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #11

I have a 1976 Dodge Sprinter RV. It has 8.75/r16.5 duallys on the rear. They are mounted on 8 hole rims. Will they take a Ford or Chevy rims if I switch to 16s?
Thanks, Rod.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rickson Wheel Manufacturing