Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
tires

I will be buying new tires for my 84 Pace Arrow soon and since I have never did this I need some advice please. The tires on it are mixed brands but are 19.5" tires. some are 225 r70 19.5. Since I will need all six tires what should I need for the steer axle and for the rear axle? Any help will be apreciated. Just for info some of the tires on the RV now are dated 1991.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #2

I never realized until we got our '88 MH, that there was so much difference in recommended rear load-carrying tires, and the front steering tires - good thing to be aware of, and might significantly affect steering and overall handling...

A good tire shop should be able to provide info, especially one specializing in medium/heavy truck tires.

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #3

Don't drive anywhere on 1991 tires! That's just a blowout waiting to happen. There are a number of widths available for 19.5 tires. Just be sure you don't get a tire width that will allow the rear duals to rub together. That is not a good thing. I put 8R 19.5 on mine. The front tires can be wider than the rears and provide better road feel and ride, or so I am told. Getting them balanced is the next challenge. Quite a debate on what is better; pellets in the tires or lead on the rims. I presently have lead on the rims but I plan on going with the pellets this spring.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Michelin XRV

Tire Search Results
Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #5

I put 4 new Hankook's on the back of my 1988 Pace Arrow. They are half the cost of Michelin and I'm very happy with them. I've put about 1,500 miles on them.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennie View Post
I will be buying new tires for my 84 Pace Arrow soon and since I have never did this I need some advice please. The tires on it are mixed brands but are 19.5" tires. some are 225 r70 19.5. Since I will need all six tires what should I need for the steer axle and for the rear axle? Any help will be apreciated. Just for info some of the tires on the RV now are dated 1991.
Are the fronts the 225/70R19.5?? Are they worn on one side? I think that that coach would have 8R19.5 F plys on it. I had a pair of the 225's and they rode rough and kept wearing the inside edge off. I had it aligned three times and it still did it. I replaced the 225's with the 8R19.5 like the rears and they wore all the way as it was supposed to. go figure...
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It has both on it. I havent drove it since I brought it home because the tires look so bad and are so old. I hope to have new tires on it after the first of the year. That is why I asked advice on what tires to use. I am a first time MH owner and I'm working on it to get it fixed up by spring. Ao any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #8

WELL, it sure gets hard to best-guess the line between buying cheaper - but properly sized and rated - off brands, and going for the top of the line stuff.

They all seem to have the same age constraints, so IF the cheaper stuff simply wears out a bit faster, a guy like me that puts relatively few miles per year on RV tires MIGHT be foolish paying extra simply for a name brand that still is supposed to be replaced in 5 years or so.

I've found some properly sized Ebay no-name tires that are the proper size and F rating as the 8R 19.5's on our '88 Winnie, for $178 each, delivered - as long as they carry a USA DOT stamp, and are dated as being well under a year old (as the seller/tire distributor claims), why should I pay $150 more per tire only for the name on the sidewall?

I've seen far more Goodyear, Firestone and similar brand name tires blow out shortly after installing them than the Carlisle's on my 5er and boat trailer.

NO, you don't ALWAYS "get what you pay for"!

And simply forking out lots of extra $$$ just for a warm and fuzzy feeling simply don't cut it!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks Gary I like your thinking. I will not be making long trips and travel to often. I have looked at tires on ebay but not sure they can be trusted all the time. All the help and info I get here will help me decide. I buy and sell a lot on ebay and will give them a better look.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #10

i have 16 in tires front i bought bf goodrich 8 ply rear no name 10 ply gave $110 mounted bal out the door (friend)
now my friend herd he has 19.5 on his he bought goodyear on front i took him to shop 10 ply was $175 mounted and bal
look around at some small tire shops i have over 20000 miles on mine no problems yet i could not afford to buy name brand
dave
Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #11

Do the pellets go inside the tire, or bolt on under the wheel lugs? I have seen round plastic "rings" filled with shot that have a universal bolt pattern that go on top of the wheel hub and are secured by the lug nuts. I would think that pellets rolling around in the tire would indeed balance the tire, but seems like the inside of the tire would take a beating/wear until the tire got up to highway speed. Who installs the pellets, is it a trucker trick or time tested RV'er solution to a common problem?

Thanks,
Kevin