Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

Tires on 16.5 again! not about conversion

First of I know this issues has been beat to death, but i have 16.5 in rims on my 78 dodge class c. when I look in to 16 Inch swap I hit a wall, with finding the rims, simply put I need to know exactly what I need to buy and I would considering swapping. But with that said I am looking at keeping them for now.

My current size is a 8.00 x 16.5. I need all 6. The local tire guy (no big box) can do them installed for me at 150. A piece all in. my fronts are not as bad as the backs. all the backs have cracks, the front a are just old Too but not unsafe. No point in keeping them. So here is the deal, if I may 150 per tire I keep the same size and can have one front as a spare tire. Or for 125.00 all in each for 8.75 by 16.5.. and they are 10 ply load e vs the load d on the 8.00.
So the question is:

Can i go to the 8.75 x 16 on it? The front looks tight but it looks alright. I have not measured under the rear Yet.

Anyone with an old low 20s foot 78 that can chime in?

The 8.75s will require me to buy 7 tires so I have the same size spare. But come out 50 less than the 8.00. if they clear in the back it might give me a little more speed to rpm on the highway.

I have read a few 70s on here that have 8.75s. I just don't want to gain issues to fix it. Also if there is a place I can measure to check it tell me where. What kind gap is necessary to prevent the rear a from touching? I need to cover all the bases I am getting this thing completely sorted and not just cobbled together.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #2

Have your tire guy do his homework.

The manufacturers publish charts including fit and rptation to mile stuff.

Your tire guy should be as ble to check your rim width and offset and determine the gap.

Make the sales guy earn his money.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:44 AM   #3

Well I know he can but, I can't bring it to him. No tags yet. I was going to have him order the tires and have them waiting for me to bring it in. He is good like that.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #4

He does not need to touch it.

Give him make and model and see if you can find any numbers on any of the rims.

You should have one side visible on front and opposite side on rears.

He can take it from there.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #5

Btw...

Upping the load ramge is one of the "old school" tricks to improve handling as the sidewalls are stiffer and washout a bit less on cornering.

Price is a bit stiffer ride on bumps but in a good sort of way.

Better bang for buck investment than suspension parts that may also need attention.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #6

Just FYI some tire sites like Tire Rack, Discount Tire and some tire sites have fit calculators when you want to up size tires and wheels.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:49 AM   #7

so

So anyone know if on a 78 sportsman rv class c if the 8.00 x 16.5 can be switched to a 8.75 x 16.5 on the stock rims. I would like the slightly bigger size but, if not I have to go with the 8.00 x 16. Currently 8.00 x 16 is on the times but are past due for replacement from cracking sidewalls.

So anyone out there know if it's going to clear in the rear?

I can adjust the front but the front looks like it will make it.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #8

I just had a blowout of one my Cooper SRMs. Since I've only owned this 1990 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye (Chevy 30) 26 footer a few months, and the tires looks almost new, I hadn't worried about them. Until today. The inside, left rear peeled it's tread.

Original tires were the Cooper SRM 8.00R16.5LT's. D rated. I drove all over Lansing, MI today (Memorial Day weekend at that) looking for someone that had this size tire.. and was open. I ended up calling a 24/7 service shop that is used by Flying J. They said they couldn't help me, but if I had a spare, they would charge me an $80 service call to put it on. They said if they didn't have this size tire, no one did. So I drove over. Adam proceeded to take the left rear tires off and was ready to put the spare on (some other brand) when he pointed out that I had Firestone
TransForce 8.75/16.5's on the front. He said he could replace all four rears with new Firestones, that he does this all the time with old RVs and keeps them in stock. We looked at the date codes on all the Cooper tires, 4105. 2005. Ten years old. Yep, replaced all 4 rear tires. Now I have all 6 matching. And it rides like a dream. Well, as well as can be expected of an old RV.
Plenty of clearance on the Chevy 30 chassis for these tires. But my speedometer is off by about 10% now lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blown-tire-150523.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	95025  
Old 05-24-2015, 12:19 AM   #9

The 76 Dodge that I have been working came from the factory with 8.00x16.5 tires according to the build ticket. It now has 8.75x16.5 tires on it. I have not had a chance to put any miles on it yet to really know. I have noticed backing in a hard left turn that the LF tire is rubbing. Can not see anything on the tire or the body where it rubs so will have to get someone to drive while I watch and listen. The rear tires seem to have all sorts of clearance. The numbers are a little hard to read on the rims but it looks like it says 6 inch rim. The build ticket says 16.5x6 rims so that would tell me they are the originals and were not changed when the tires were upgraded. Your tire guy should be able to tell you what size rim is required for the 8.75 tire. This is on a 24 foot Monaco body. Hope that helps you some. Mind me asking what brand tire you have found? The only thing I am finding in a radial is Firestone and was quoted $165.00.

I just pulled out the owners manual and I see that 8.75x16.5 is listed. So it looks like they came from the factory with that size tire if ordered that way.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

I just purchased an 84 Chevy 24 foot. The original size tires on it are 8.75x16.5. The tire shops want over $200 per tire and they don't have stock. I can just imagine blowing a tire out on the road and having to wait days to get a new one. I have started doing the conversion to 16 inch rims... I went to the Auto wreckers and purchased rims for $40 each. Sandblasted and painted them myself. Found some tires that came of a wrecked newer Chevy 1 ton, 7 for $340. They are 225/75/16 a much more common size and cheaper if i have to purchase new. Just need to let the paint cure and by the end of the week going in to get them mounted. Oh yeah forgot to mention that all the stock tires were bald so it would have been over $1200 to put new rubber on.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #11

Yes, this subject has been up on every RV sight that has any older coaches. The plain fact is that there is now only one US manufacturer of 16.5 tires. They do not run them all that often. That is Firestone. There are other US names and several offshore. So, if you have to stay with 16.5 because you can't get rims, that is your choice. I have acquired enough rims of the correct design for my antique coach. So, I am now moving out 16.5s 2 at a time. If I can ever recover from the current depression, (economic not mental), I may buy some alloy rims.

Matt
Old 05-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Before I did the conversion to 16's, I believe my research turned up the only difference between 8.75x16.5 and 8.00x16.5 tires is the width.
I know it's been beat to death, but you'll be much happier if you can locate some 16" rims and go that route.
The two deciding factors for me was (1) the availability of replacements both on the road and at home and (2) the price of the 16.5 tires was considerably higher than the 16" tires I replaced them with.
With all of that said, It was about $1200 US for the whole setup a couple of years ago. YMMV.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:23 PM   #13

875 all in local shop 7 16.5x8.75. 700 just tires to change for the 16 but the 16 rims at 300 at the local place for 6 of them in almost perfect shape. I decided to get the 7 8.75s unless something changes, like I find a deal on rims.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #14

I too am searching for 8.00 16.5 tires for my GMC JIMMY 1977

Tags
tires