Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi everyone,We have fulltimed for ten years now and we had a good used Coachman President that we love. We put a new motor and trans in it last fall and still have to finish it so we can travel.We've redone the interior and was in nice condition. In July Arizona had a really bad spell of Rain. We we're parked in what was called the 100 year flood plan. This was I guess the 100th year. They pulled our coach out and had it put in storage as we were attending to a funeral and family business. When we got back two months had passed and we found a mess.
I've got the floor dry and it was real Plywood. I'm still hoping the new tile floor doesn't buckle and the tile lift. With all the time and money we have in this coach, we could never get the money out of it in it's present condition.I found out when we renewed our rv policy in July that Camping World goofed and we have no fulltimers policy or comp. We also had about $3200. dollars in stolen tools and damage to the home that I will have to 'eat'.
The only question is;should we just fix this mess up and then go on and finish it or??? We can find all kinds of reasons to get rid of and keep. Need a fresh view. if we get rid of it should we strip out the good stuff or just dump and start over? It is fixable but it will take time with finances.That means living in this till??? NO traveling!!!We already have been stuck here for three years with two small trips with the toad. I'm startin to wonder if my feelings are getting in the way of making a good decision. Wife is not much better. I'm wondering if I can find a chevy-30 MH that needs a motor and trans and could use the up grades we put into this coach.Like to keep 27 ft or under, but We don't want anything shorter than 25 ft. WE are in your hands for now, Dan and Deb Rvtravelers1997.

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi everyone,We have fulltimed for ten years now and we had a good used Coachman President that we love. We put a new motor and trans in it last fall and still have to finish it so we can travel.We've redone the interior and was in nice condition. In July Arizona had a really bad spell of Rain. We we're parked in what was called the 100 year flood plan. This was I guess the 100th year. They pulled our coach out and had it put in storage as we were attending to a funeral and family business. When we got back two months had passed and we found a mess.
I've got the floor dry and it was real Plywood. I'm still hoping the new tile floor doesn't buckle and the tile lift. With all the time and money we have in this coach, we could never get the money out of it in it's present condition.I found out when we renewed our rv policy in July that Camping World goofed and we have no fulltimers policy or comp. We also had about $3200. dollars in stolen tools and damage to the home that I will have to 'eat'.
The only question is;should we just fix this mess up and then go on and finish it or??? We can find all kinds of reasons to get rid of and keep. Need a fresh view. if we get rid of it should we strip out the good stuff or just dump and start over? It is fixable but it will take time with finances.That means living in this till??? NO traveling!!!We already have been stuck here for three years with two small trips with the toad. I'm startin to wonder if my feelings are getting in the way of making a good decision. Wife is not much better. I'm wondering if I can find a chevy-30 MH that needs a motor and trans and could use the up grades we put into this coach.Like to keep 27 ft or under, but We don't want anything shorter than 25 ft. WE are in your hands for now, Dan and Deb Rvtravelers1997.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Update, Not even sure about engine. really thinking about geting rid of it.Just not worth keeping. Guess I just answered my own answer.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure sorry to hear about your problems. Some times life seems so unfair, but thinks work out for the best. I don't know if I'd put more money in it or not. You just need to follow your gut feeland run with the decision. Best of luck.

Ken
Old 10-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
... I found out when we renewed our rv policy in July that Camping World goofed and we have no fulltimers policy or comp... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried pitching a nasty fit at Camping World and threatening to post your experience with them on the internet? Perhaps that would get them to make some kind of restitution? If you "renewed" than you should of had the same policy.

Before you decide to just junk the thing, maybe you need to do a little comparison shopping (don't forget to figure in repairs & needed remodeling) to see just what may work out best. You are already planning to get something that requires a new motor/tranny so that part is moot(can't your current motor/tranny just be "reconditioned"?). Your current RV will have to be sold as a salvage unit (flood damage that you are required by law to disclose) so you will have to pretty much give it away. ANYTHING you buy will most likely have rotted framing in it (if it ever had a leak in the roof then it most likely has a bad frame piece). We learned this by peeling sections of the interior ceiling off our Class C every where we found a stain... had to chase a few down to find the original point of entry. One of our leaks was caused by the factory running a cabinet screw throught the roof. Needless to say there was quite a bit of rot there.

We looked at a lot of used RVs that were just too old to warrent the asking price (why is it our stuff is worthless yet other peoples stuff is so valuable). As it was David found the one we ended up with with a friend in tow. The friend bought it (needed something to stay in over the winter at his flea market spot) and we bought it off him in the Spring for slightly less than he paid ($3K). David helped him haggle on the pricing since David knew a bit more about RVs than the friend. So a little trade work and $2K got us an RV that needed a little (?) repair. But the motor & tranny are solid as is the floor frame (many class Cs have a weak point where the cab and camper section meet). We kept most of the original cabinet face frames but pulled the cabinets out to rebuild the boxes (painted frames sky blue to match ceiling base colour), new laminate countertop with full laminate backsplash, new pull-out faucet, rebuilt kitchen wall cabinet to install our little microwave, added a partion "wall" to create a seperate bedroom and strengthen the camper frame, recovered the walls with beaded hardboard (painted a ridiculously cheerful yellow), added trim work (painted a warm white) added 5 12VDC flourescent lights (from JC Whitney) to replace the 12VDC ones that used Automotive light bulbs, rebuilt the generator box, added a deck with drawers under it for the full-sized bed (was a fold out couch... or what was left of one), ripped out all the carpet (currently still have plywood decking but will install parquet floor @ $0.97/SF), rebuilt the cab over, the ceiling was sealed/primed/papered with anaglypta wall paper (painted sky blue with "clouds"), added more 110VAC plugs/wiring (for my computer, microwave, 2 duplexes in the kitchen area & bedroom), wired for 2 TV's (CATV included), replaced some of the 12VDC wiring (damaged), changed out the old DC/LP fridge to a 110VAC Refrigerator and a 110VAC freezer and replaced the exterior clearance lights and added added an exterior porch light. Haven't touched the bathroom yet (needs new wall liner) and my new fresh water storage tank is sitting outside under the awning waiting to be put in. And I still need to paint the exterior but first I have to scrape off all the silicone smeared all over the thing (apparently the guy didn't know silicone does not stick to a dirty surface) and recaulk. Even with the stuff remaining we still are under $1K invested. We figure (based on what we had looked at), that we would have spent this amount or most likely more to fix/modify any of the other RVs we looked at. Luckily, David & I do remodels for a living and have the know-how, tools and expertise to refresh an RV.

We moved into the camper (full-time) before it was finished, it was hurried up to get it fixed up to the point to where we could stay in it. I finished wall-papering/painting the ceiling while staying in a campground in GA. The cab over area was finished when we got back to our current location (our materials are here... this is where we tore the camper apart and put it back together... we're staying in the yard at my Mom's cabin). We will finish the trim work when David gets back from FL sometime this week, he's got all the saws with him... the weather is supposed to warm up during the day too. I probably won't get the flooring installed until after we are back in GA again (in a campground... David can make any cuts needed off site at the jobsite). And I have no idea how long it will take me to get all this crappy silicone scraped off (the man was silicone mad). It is possible to stay in an unfinished, work-in-progress RV (only quiet work performed in a campground... frowns otherwise). Just like it is possible to live in a house while it is being remodeled (been there, done that, more than once). Just prioritize what needs to be done first while keeping in mind what you will need to do later (like we installed support to wall-mount the LCD TVs and run electric / cabling for them).

Biggest, most important thing for us.... NO PAYMENTS!!! We have no payments for anything except our cell phones, storage units, internet and the "silence" $$ we pay my Mom because we have a 40 Ft bus shell sitting in the yard of her cabin ("when are you going to move that thing... I think you should sell it" is her favourite refrain) as well as the kids (20 yo as of Halloween both with jobs...shouldn't they be paying too? ) are staying in the cabin.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hello one and all,Thanks for the kind words and advice.It looks like someone tried to steal parts of the engine but didn't make it. I got it all back together and started but there is a miss in #7 cyclinder that is driving me nuts and I still have to figure out where the leak is,in the ceiling.So far, the floor is still intact. Our cat has been chaseing all the little water bugs{I guess thats what they are as they don't die with roach spray}I guess thats why we have the cat for!
If the floors OK and the engine and trany are OK then we might just keep it and continue the restoration from there.We we're all done but the bathroom,New water tank,Water heater,Water pump and the electric panel,and now the 110v to 12v converter went out because it went under water.We still have to finish the paint inside and outside and the rest of the mechanical stuff outside. IF the motor isn't hurt,I guess well have another go at it. I could pull the motor and rebuild it again but I'm not getting any younger and my health isn't the best.My worst fear is that I'll finally finish it and then die.Thats my usual luck! I guess I'll see what it needs on the engine. Thanks again,Sometimes it's hard to figure out when its time to give up,or grab the rope and hang on.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:28 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
... My worst fear is that I'll finally finish it and then die.Thats my usual luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But your wife will have a nice "like new" RV to tool around it!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">worst fear is that I'll finally finish it and then die.Thats my usual luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many times has this happened to you already?
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
HA,HA,I didn't quite mean it like it came out, but That would be my luck. My luck resembles murfeys law,'If it can get worse,it will!!!'.
IT happens and I just find the poop chute and Pull the Cord!! It the way life has been and it isn't looking any better.
As to the motorhome, the motor has something broke in it as I have 45PSI on compression in #7 cylinder and it is tapping like a rod. The vacumn gage shows 10-12 inches of vacumn and it fluctuates between 10-12,at idle.There is a knock and all the lifters are chattering like crazy.
That motor has..Maybe 20 minites running time on it. My daughter Must have a Death wish,because I told her that the motor was not ready to start.She did anyway for how long....I have no clue.I would say..Long enough to screw the motor for good!The transmission only has about a mile of coasting while being towed.I'm not up to taking out the motor,again!Right now,I'm looking for another rv and I'll junk this old home. For now...The end,Dan
Old 10-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Updates, We have decided to Put our stuff into storage and put the MH into storage for the time being.We are going back to Maine and will stay with family. They are all excited to hear we are going back for the winter.We havn't been in the snow now for many years now,so it might be interesting.Debs daughters are both Happy that we are going to be back too!Were not to thrilled,but we will help my sister-in-law out while she is going thru a divorce.
In the meantime,I will be checking out E-Bay and hope to find another class A MH that needs some fixing up but has a good floor plan and a good motor and Trans.I've got new Michelins and a bunch of upgrades for the engine and I have a great Genset I still have the new Captains chairs and the complete Bathroom and the water heater plus a bunch of other things we can use or sale.I wish we could keep it but the floor is already starting to shed the tile in severial places and I'm sure it will only get worse.We want to find another classic and whatever it turns out to be, once we have it we will be back.In the meantime we can try and help others on-line here or ,Maybe we will find out that someone here have a RV for sale that will fit our bill.We both will miss the life style.We hope that by next summer, we will have another rv that needs a little help and we can afford it.
Anyway, We hope you all have a safe winter and a great new year!! I know we are hoping for one!
Until then goodbye for now,Dan and Deb
Old 10-19-2006, 05:34 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi all, we are still trying to see just how much damage was done to the engineI'm going to get a temp radiator from a friend and run it with new oil and see..IF,there is any really bad damage. if it isn't real super bad I will be able to salvage the motor.A friend of mine thinks that it could have a bunch of collasped lifters from running out of oil.I will give it a try but I'm not standing on my head while I find out. We still have all this 'Black mold' to contend with and while it is in storage we are hoping it will dry out and the mold will die. Time will tell.
If, it is not a realy too bad{ the motor} we are hopeing to come back in the earlier part of summer and put everything from the storage shed and bring it all to Maine so our stuff will be with us.Up there we can park it and work on it rent free. and I'll have access to any tools I might need.If we deside it is safethen we will start disassembly of the mh so we can salvage parts and when thats done we can get rid of whats left for salvage.It's a nice plan,hope it works out.
we shall keep you all up to date as we find out anything.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Well, the motor is locked up. Can't crank it at all.I think it was a rod.Thats the end of this home.Just too much for me.I'm putting it on the Classifieds and get rid of it. After I regroup I think I'll find a Scamp to fix up and sale this truck and get a half ton to pull it. get one with a V-6 or small V-8.