Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #1

Is this the right place to ask this? 87 Winnebago Chieftain, the toilet does not hold water in the bowl long. Don't know the toilet brand (will look in the am). Easier to repair or replace. How is the toilet removed?

Thanks
John

that troll guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #2

Is this the right place to ask this? 87 Winnebago Chieftain, the toilet does not hold water in the bowl long. Don't know the toilet brand (will look in the am). Easier to repair or replace. How is the toilet removed?

Thanks
John

Old 08-08-2007, 04:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome John to iRV2 Vintage RV's forum.

We have a 2003 Itasca with the SeaLand Traveler Lite Model 110 toilet it never held water in the bowl so took out the bowl seals a and cleaned them and it held for awhile.

Next I put in new Teflon & Rubber Bowl seals furnished by the manufacture under warrenty and it held water as it should.

Now I am about to clean the Bowl seals again, today.

The Vacuum Breaker was leaking because of a crack in the plastic, so while the toilet is apart the Teflon & Rubber seals will be cleaned

Vacuum Breaker kit cost about $33. and New Bowl seals are about $30.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #4

Figure out what kind you have, then check out the manufacturer's website. Most of them have iinstal/removal instructions as well as a parts list and diagram breakdown.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Call Winnebago they may be able to tell you the brand and model number.
Service Administration
(800)-537-1885

From Winnebago web site:
(Note: If you own one of our motor homes and have a question about it, we encourage you to contact us by phone. We find phone communication allows us to more quickly resolve your issue.)
Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #6

I had a Thetford in my Pace Arrow with the same problem and it was toilet paper caught in the slide area. There was a slide that opened up to drain the bowl and paper would catch in the crack if someone left the pedal up too soon. For this the cure is to bend a metal coat hanger into a straight end of about 2" and use a small mirror to see what you are doing. The paper will usually catch in the end that closes last and will sit back in the pocket to prevent total closure. That was a Thetford product. Good Luck. Replacement is probably not necessary. Don't worry about damaging the seal, it is very stable.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bsinmich:
I had a Thetford in my Pace Arrow with the same problem and it was toilet paper caught in the slide area. There was a slide that opened up to drain the bowl and paper would catch in the crack if someone left the pedal up too soon. For this the cure is to bend a metal coat hanger into a straight end of about 2" and use a small mirror to see what you are doing. The paper will usually catch in the end that closes last and will sit back in the pocket to prevent total closure. That was a Thetford product. Good Luck. Replacement is probably not necessary. Don't worry about damaging the seal, it is very stable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the coat hanger makes you nervous, Bob Livingston (In his RV Repair and Maintenance manual)recommends a Q-Tip for the same job. I recommend wearing gloves when you do this job

I have been quoting Mr Livingston a lot lately in regards to sewage systems, as I just got through reading that chapter in his book several time through looking for info I need in order to replace the floor (think a 4'x4' patch in the floor) in my own bathroom. I mention this so as not to make you think I'm an expert or anything. I just read up on it recently. I also learned a lot in the process, which still continues. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #8

The toilet is a thetford. It feels like the lip of the seal is bulging, causing the "thingy" that closes to catch and not close all the way. I tried to get in there with a small tool and did clean some gunk out. It works a little better but not well enough. The problem is, not being able to see, and my big ole hands. I think if I pull the unit, I can get in there better. Question is, is there some kind of seal at the base (thinking wax ring on a home fixture) that I need to be careful of. as a side note, I put my hand behind the toilet and felt some spider webs (shudder)....I park my rig in my mobilehome parks RV storage area, I have found many black widows outside the RV, but never inside (shudder), so I sprayed yesterday and will get out my little mirror to see what I am doing. Not that it has anything to do with anything. Just letting you all know.. I HATE SPIDERS!
John

Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #9

When I was able to get to the ring, I cleaned a lot of gunk out, so maybe that is all it is.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #10

There is a ring. It is somewhere between stiff foam and wax. It is also available at any good RV supply place (Think: a place that would also sell you the toilet). I believe the seal in the flap itself is also available if you find the one you have to be damaged.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote