Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #127

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Gordon, thanks for the info clears up a lot, we don't have an awning yet, so not set on how long. Basicly long enought to get the Harleys under and still have some room. Craig & Deb, Thanks for the kind words, means alot. I have a little more to go on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0918141428.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	74191  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #128

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
rebuild

Hey Bap,

If Harley1994 doesn't mind, post some pics of your garage fix. We are all loving the pics on this thread.

Harley 1994,

Have you thought at all about putting spray foam insulation in? It becomes it's own vapor barrier and you don't have to fill in the cracks or holes. It also bothers the heck out of bugs so they tend to stay clear of the stuff.

Just a thought! Like others I look forward to checking this at the end of my workday. Really wish I lived close enough to come over and help. Or bring lunch and watch, or help paint, or just see it up front. Love this thread!

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #129

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

I don't mind at all!! post those garage pics. Lynne I did think about having someone come in and spray foam the shell, but the insulation and the way I am going to install it might be as good, I did think that by locking in the Poly Iso insulation board by filling the gaps with a commercial foam gun, that it would make the whole unit more stable. Here's some pics of the process of installing the siding, the pink film is a protective covering on the aluminum, and a pain to get off!! and a big ball of plastic left. I have one little piece on the nose left. Then the front. And then the roof, I almost have the weather beat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0918140841.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	74212   Click image for larger version

Name:	0918140943.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	74213  

Name:	0918140939.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	74214   Click image for larger version

Name:	0918141735.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	74215  

Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #130

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:51 AM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Piker, thanks for the thumbs up! another cold morning here 32 degs over nite, supposed to 61 today with sunshine so a good day, hope to work on the nose today.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #132
bap

wow,,,you goy alot done since yesterday,,,

my garge/parking area is all but done,,,wish i had taken before pix but didnt ...i have 4 bays in it that are big enough for at least four campers but we are sitting it up to pull one in and actually live in it so i only put up half walls so it would be more home like...lol...with a wood working area boxed in in the back ..we used the same rough cut lumber that came off of it but did put up 6 new rough cut 6x6s ..
i will post up some pix latter....im taking the day off to get some painting done around the house and 1 of our rental units though...
will catch everyone latter.....lookingv forward to seeing harleys nose job...
this is an awsome thread...
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #133

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Gordon, thanks for the info clears up a lot, we don't have an awning yet, so not set on how long. Basicly long enought to get the Harleys under and still have some room.
DUHHH! Had another thought. Went out and measured the awning on our 5er. First smart thing I did today. LOL

Our awning is 14'. They have it 8" above the top of the door. It is just above the bedroom window. Our 5er is fairly tall so the awning is 9' 10"' from the ground.

I think the longest awning you can get is 16' before they have a center support. Center supports are a PITA.

IMO the awning would be better 2 - 4" higher above the door as we had issues with the door rubbing on the awning when the awning stretched because of heat or moisture (I would open it as low as it would go in order to give us the most shade when the sun was shining). Some folks install a wheel on the door to prevent rubbing.

Another option is for two awnings. You could put an awning at the back at the optimum height for personal use. Perhaps 8 - 9' to give you the best living area and an awning over the doorway and front bedroom window to provide shade for the 5er and door and rain protection for the door.

The bikes could go under the front awning and the grill and personal space under the back awning.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #134

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Gordon food for thought, thats for sure thank you for all the measurements it really helps, I started on the nose this morning my first attempts was a failure. back to the drawing board. I have to help a friend mount his 5th wheel hitch, so I might be done for the day. I have to think about this........!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #135
bap

Name:	ARISTOCRAT LAND COMMANDER,,SHEDGARAGE 006.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	74332i had a wheel on the top of the door so it would roll if it came in contact with the awning of our fleetwood mh, it helped..

here are a few random pix of my garage build,it reall doesnt do it justice on size i will park a 16 or so footer tt sideways in the middle for living and then i can park 2 in each bay on both sides if im working on that many ,the half wall will open as gates for parking them and close back shut,, and i also reused the 40 year old rough cut oak that was used to build the building 40 plus years ago,,,,and i had to throw in a pic of my youngest grand son and what we do most every evening to relax from the day...we love throwing tomahawks ,knives, and my old jeep axe that usuallyt hangs on the front of my jeep....we throw from 30ft..its amazingly relaxing...lol
Old 09-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #136
bap

pix wernt working...lol...try again
huh....computer keeps messing up...losing signal
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ARISTOCRAT LAND COMMANDER,,SHEDGARAGE 010.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	74335   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARISTOCRAT LAND COMMANDER,,SHEDGARAGE 012.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	74336  

Name:	ARISTOCRAT LAND COMMANDER,,SHEDGARAGE 013.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	74337  
Old 09-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #137
bap

try again,,,i dont know why my pix are messing up...hmmm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ARISTOCRAT LAND COMMANDER,,SHEDGARAGE 007.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	74339   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARISTOCRAT LAND COMMANDER,,SHEDGARAGE 010.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	74340  

Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #138
bap

whoa,,,,sorry for so many pix,,,i surly didnt meen to post up that many...lol

but the garage has over 10ft from bottom to top, and we really only do the smaller campers 16ftrs or so,, still have alot of work to do untill completed but the heavey reconstruction is all but done,, now its just finishing the halfwall gates and paint an the dw has to add the finishing touches,,,i also have to reset up the work shop that is behind the wall in the back..

anyway HARLEY i understand about stopping to help out a buddy,,did u get the hitch installed for him today,,and how is the weather holding out for you..? looks like down here in ky i have a great week for the last of summer,,i will be brush hogging about 15 acres and outside painting before the wet fall sets in..even though were not in the 30s yet the nights and early mornings have been very chilly..lol

look forward to hearing more from you and seeing your progress..
and again sorry for posting my stuff so much,,,i dont know what happened there...lol
Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #139

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Great pics, nice build on the garage, I'll bet it'll be good to get those trailers inside! Yep I got his hitch installed, it was a new truck so everything was clean, but he was nervous about drilling holes in it , I don't have that problem, I'll drill holes in anything!!. But it turned out well, and now he owes me, so he is going to help put the aluminum on the nose of my trailer today. Heres a shot of my indoor / outdoor therm. notice that its 7:09 am and its still 33 degs, and some pics getting the nose ready for its skin. hopefully we get the skin on the nose today and all will be right with the world, at least my little part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0919140710.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	74358   Click image for larger version

Name:	0919140935.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	635.8 KB
ID:	74359  

Name:	0919140959.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	74360  
Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #140
bap

lookin good,,,,,every year i dread the winter more an more, my old bones are starting to feel the younger days abuse...lol
after we get everything done the dw is wanting to take a few days off and head fo the southern beaches,,,,im ready for that.....lol