Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #1625

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Oh yeah, for all of you with Suburban water heaters, keep an eye on the plastic drain plug, or replace it with a brass one. Have had 2 people here this winter that the head of the plug splits and sprays water or blows entirely and drops all the water in the heater tank. Both units were less than 5 years old.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #1626

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, good info on the water heaters, as people bring them out of winter sleep, be a good time to swap that out. I agree on the cost, had I spent the same amount of money I still more than likely would not have solar, and it would have been completely used, this way with the axle ect being new I should be good to go. I'm not sorry that I went this way, its been quite a ride, and I wouldn't have made as many friends along the way.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #1627

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last year our winter here in MI was also bad. I told my husband if I complained about the heat I was gonna slap myself. I didn't complain or slap myself. It goes double for this year.

Terry, Even if you spent another $10,000 you would still have an amazing rig for a very low price and the pride of doing it yourself along with Eleanor. You are gonna love that thing.

Later folks, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #1628

Retired Fire Service RVer's
You are right Terry, we have all made a lot of friends on here.
Lynne,
Just remember in a couple or 3 years, you can come south and join us, then you can not complain about all the heat that we have most of the winter, then complain about the cold(which is a couple nights in the mid 20's and less than a dozen below freezing)
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #1629

What a beautiful day today was here in North Central Texas. Was up until 1 am Sunday / today playing in the shop. Then walked back out there at 10 Am today. It was so nice outside I raised up all the shop doors and cranked up the big shop stereo to " Spank and our Gang" on Pandora. I love Mondays! Most of the younger neighbors still work for a living and the retired one have the same taste in music I have. So I don't have to fret with disturbing the neighbors with the radio turned up..

As far as snow it's all mud now. The yard is a bog. But the birds are starting to build nest everywhere.

Saturday Melissa and I had lunch on the patio and watched the cranes flyover headed back up north. Seems our runway and local stock tank are on their flight maps for the migration every year. Had to be over 3000 cranes pass over in one day. I swear some of the formation had 200 birds in them...

Maybe they honed in on the radio I had blasting in the shop playing " The Birds" radio..... ha!

ANYWAY, I'm going to knock off early tonight and plan on riding one of the motorcycles into town for electrical supplies for my wiring harness I'm building....

Good morning going all. Got 1/2 a pot of coffee left over from last night so I'm good for my morning cup when I get up.
No waiting.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:39 AM   #1630

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well Terry, Remember the old "light the pilot" furnaces? Never had a problem with them and if you did, it was the thermocouple, or the pilot getting blowed out! Hope you can get the part you need quickly, or the weather warms up, either way! We are about 3 hours away from leaving on our great adventure! I sure hope it is warmer up there in a few weeks! Won't be much fun going over the falls in a barrel if it is still frozen! Stay warm, my friend! Rail!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:03 AM   #1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Well Terry, Remember the old "light the pilot" furnaces? Never had a problem with them and if you did, it was the thermocouple, or the pilot getting blowed out! Hope you can get the part you need quickly, or the weather> warms up, either way! We are about 3 hours away from leaving on our great adventure! I sure hope it is warmer up there in a few weeks! Won't be much fun going over the falls in a barrel if it is still frozen! Stay warm, my friend! Rail!
Don't know if it's a problem up there but down here in the South if your furnaces and gas hot water heaters wont.light the first thing one should check is for mud dobbers nests.,

I find them in anything that has been stationary for long. Like inside the air intake of my 4X4 truck that has sat still since last summer. Oh and a big one inside the tail light housing.

I has a gas water heater in a pop up trailer that they loved to build in the burner flue. I eventually found a way to plug up their access that the wasp wouldn't haul off to make nest out of. Wasp love paper products for their nest..

So something to think about.

Usually an abortion with a coat hanger in the flue is the fastest way to check for nest in the flues. Sounds gross I know!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:21 AM   #1632

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning all, 3* this am, this cold's just gotta go . It might get up to 35* today that will feel warm, crazy. Lynne, in a few yrs it'll just be (snow and cold) a bad memory. Frank it sure would be nice to complain about a FEW cold nights . Curtis, that must be something watching the cranes flying over, we have thousands of geese that go back and forth every year, we can tell when the cold is coming in the fall when alot of geese go over. Rail, boy I wish it was that simple, (just lighting a pilot) the furnace we use is a pellet (burns wood pellets) and the control board went nuts on us, so with no local service we had to order the parts online should take a three or four days. Have a good flight hope to see you when you get to NY . Curtis, the mud dobbers are a real pain here as well, I use magnetic sheets on some of the places that I can, the sheets are covers that you can use to cover furnace floor registers. Have a great day all.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:26 AM   #1633

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning ,
Hey Terry,
How's the new knee doing? Hoping the cold don't affect it or your in deep dodo

They say we are going to work our way back up too the 50ties by the weekend
Sat in the MH yesterday melting snow off the roof and made a carton of smokes
Boy what a day.
Missed out on the Cub yesterday Jo had it out and going at 6:45
Speaking of Snow, yesterday the Plow guy went by and left a load of salt going around the corner, Then came back the other way and left more I am not kidding 3 times I watched this guy go buy dropping salt. I will tell ya there was only maybe 1-2 inches of slush to begin with.
It'll be awhile now to get the 64 back out, will need a few day's of rain to wash it all down to the City Park Behind the S&B's with a pond (street run off) Last year it was P-Green the duck's left a trail as they tried to swim across the Pond.
I've lived here 57 years and it has never looked like that.
Hoping when its all said and done by the 17th, going to take our second trip of the year up North to watch "Friday Night Fights" Wonder if I need to make reservation's @ the CG I'll call this afternoon just to be sure.
Coffee is going down pretty slow this morning, still on first mug since 3.
Thats about all I got,
Have A Good day,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #1634

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Tim, My knee is getting there, still keeps me up at night, I just can't find somewhere comfortable. I'm working on ROM, (range of motion) that's real important for getting in and out of vehicles ect. I also have started strength training, I use a recumbent bike for 15 min, then a stair stepper for 50 steps, then a tread mill for .3 tenths of a mile at 2MPH. that's included with all the other exercises that they say I need to do, I still haven't got to the PT place yet. Hard work now will pay off later. I hate to see the run off in the ponds ect. trouble is its not just salt its a mixture of crap that they say works "better" I wonder at what cost. Have fun on the next trip!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #1635

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi All,

I think most of us worry about what is running off with that road salt. When people are driving down the road and the salt is dry on the road, it flies up like a dust storm. I don't like breathing the stuff so keep the windows closed.

There is a field across from us where the Canadian Geese stop. At least they do when it is filled with water. This is where the melt collects and with all the snow we had this year there should have been quite a lake there but the way it melted this year we only had a small lake and only for 2 days then it shed into the water table. Geese are going to have to find a diff spot this year.

Glad the knee is better Terry and yes all that PT will get it where you want it.

Rail, Verizon I the best carrier and I was told they are doing pay as you go so check into it.

Hope you all have a good day and many in the future. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #1636

Good Morning all I'm up early today. Waiting for it to get the morning dew gone so I can ride into town for parts on one of the motorcycles.

Gonna Be a Good Day Tater!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #1637

Gulf Streamers Club
[QUOTE=Curtis in TX;2478508]Good Morning all I'm up early today. Waiting for it to get the morning dew gone so I can ride into town for parts on one of the motorcycles.

Rub it in, rub it in. ☺ I was going to run into town for some batteries, but making the run on 4 wheels is just not the same.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #1638

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hey, Lynne I'm with you the salt clouds are bad, right about now here if you don't have a cabin air filter it just comes right in with the heater blower, yuck. Curtis, nice I'm glad someone can ride, even if it was nice and I was able I wouldn't ride here, wayyyy too much salt and sand on the roads, it makes for some fancy maneuvers going around corners when you hit the sand left over from the plow trucks . Ron, Curtis has been doing a good job rubbing it in, (I know, I know someone has to do it ) have a good one.