Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #1765

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Gordon I agree about specing out the trailer. Would be fun. I did one at Millennium and came back pretty spendy. $30K and no AC or Genset or any cabinets. More than likely I will buy someone thats close and reconfigure as needed. Seeing them for about 1/2 the price of Millennium.

1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #1766

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Gordon I agree about specing out the trailer. Would be fun. I did one at Millennium and came back pretty spendy. $30K and no AC or Genset or any cabinets. More than likely I will buy someone thats close and reconfigure as needed. Seeing them for about 1/2 the price of Millennium.
I agree. We looked at Factory Transport (22.5 tires and air suspension), Millenium, Feather Lite and inTech after Haul Mark was too heavy. Feather Lite was EXPENSIVE.

We did not get cabinets but will eventually put something in. Upgraded the lift size and lighting. We are using this to haul stuff and not much work planned. We got the tall stacker for inside height so no roof vents.

If you are working inside you would need some venting unless you were going to open the ramp door each time you worked in it.

As long as you get good bones you can build and alter as you like.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #1767

Retired Fire Service RVer's
You guys are killing me, I had to leave my welders and cutting torches at home, couldn't fit them into the 5er, but I did fit enough tools to just about rebuild an engine.
I'm already over the GVWR of the trailer and truck, but within reason and the axles and tires are under. Work camping at the park for 6 months in the winter for something to do, now I am known as the local mechanic, so everyone is coming up with their small to dos. I can't charge friends when it is not a business, so I do get a lot of beer and dinners. Tomorrow, I have a motorcycle trailer to repack the bearings and then install new batteries in the Dolphin and have a couple lights that are out. After that another camper asked me to check the bearings and repack on his tow dolly. Then it will be my turn, have to wash and wax the 5er , repack the bearings, rotate the tires, grease and change oil in the PU for the trip back north, so, there is not much time left, of course Thursdays are for golf.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #1768

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
I don't want to be in your shoes when Eleanor finds out that you were up on a ladder, and I would just about bet the farm that she will.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #1769

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Frank put the welder and torches in the back of the pickup for the trip next time.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #1770

Hey harley, could i get some pics? Full exterior and some interior shot? Tried skimming but 177 pages im gettin lost. Haha. Lookin great so far!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 AM   #1771

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Jay, when you're specing out your new trailer be sure to include a minimum of 4' for the side (man) door. Many trailers now, especially stackers come with a dual side door in the 52-60" or wider range. Purpose of this is to allow a golf cart, most atv's, and some scooters to be loaded sideways in the front of the trailer... makes it handy to have access to some wheels without dropping the ramp door & unloading the trailer. Gordon's inTech likely has the double door configuration as standard equipment.

Many times we'll unload the golf cart, bike, or atv when we arrive at a destination and save the serious unloading for the next day. Also, since it's so ez to load, the cart, atv, or bike is the last thing loaded when it's time to roll.

We built mine back in 1998 as there weren't many tag stackers being produced by the factories at the time. There are so many choices of construction, tire size, brakes, suspension, height, weight, price points, etc. that a fellow doesn't have to build his own today.

Terry, I hope your better half doesn't read irv2!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 4.png
Views:	41
Size:	687.9 KB
ID:	90415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 9.png
Views:	47
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	90416  

Thunderfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:02 AM   #1772

My problem is I'm $25,000 in debt between a credit card & vehicle. So even though I could a afford a MH I couldn't afford to operate it. And the 10.99% interest on the credit card is kicking my butt.
So the smartest thing for me to do is pay off those bills before getting a MH. Then I will have $1,000 per month to put toward it.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #1773

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Busy morning, not used to getting right out in the morning anymore, had to take son to work. Jay, I'm with you on doing a trailer yourself, like Gordon says get one with good bones and do it up like you want. Frank, I have two sets of torches a big set in the shop and a small carry set along with a small mig, obviously you can't do like a full setup but you would be surprised what they will do, used to carry them when we raced dirt, lots of rubbin and banging to fix between heats. Travis I'll see what I can do for some pics. HH, yup your right on that, once that's taken care of you'll be on easy street. Eleanor, occasionally will read the forums, she says there will be no sympathy if I was to hurt myself before I get all healed up, (versus if I hurt myself after?) she knows me all too well and expects that I will do something dumb . Actually I think its calculated and I am more careful now than usual, IMO. Have a great day all.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #1774

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning All;
Terry as you say Eleanor has your number, same as Janet has mine. They seem to know what we will do. I take pride in the fact that I can still surpise her once in a while. Flowers seem to be the universal forgiveness tool.

Thunderfoot - you have a nice looking rig and golf cart. Sorry to say I did not get the big door. Lost it due to the 16' lift in a 20' trailer. Looked at a 24' but wanted to stay close to the overall length so I was legal in most states. I am able to get in everything I need to get in plus a few extras. We can load the three bikes on the lift and then the SUV underneath. Takes about 10 minutes to take the straps off of the car and get it out.

We built a variable geometry system for tieing down the bikes so it takes a bit longer to get them in and out. I have to place or remove the chocks to get them in or out. Thank goodness for lots of e-track, wonderful invention.

Travis - I would recommend you read some of the early posts to the thread to see how Terry worked through issues and explains the pictures he posted. As well you can see the craftsmanship he and Eleanor brought to the TH so far. It is a first class rig and will be very comfortable when finished.

Heavy frost overnight. Sun is up and already the deck and the shed roof that are in the sun have melted off.

Janet has a time for surgery so Monday at 9:30 she gets the replacement hip. Three more sleeps!

Have a great day everyone.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #1775

Good morning guys....

Gordon - best wishes for Janet's surgery and a swift recovery...
Old 04-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #1776

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Gordon - We have our prayer warriors working for Janet for a safe operation and a speedy recovery. You will both be in our thoughts until we hear an all clear from you.

Terry - I agree Eleanor has your number. Patty has mine for sure. As to the stacker, yeah I'm a DIY guy. Will get one with what features I can and do the rest myself. Especially the shop setup portion.

Thunderfoot - Absolutely want a side door. Prefer the wider one as you suggested although I don't know if we will be getting a cart. Not in the plan. Maybe a scooter so we can ride with Terry and Curtis and the rest. Absolutely at least a man door for access to the shop without dropping the rear ramp.

A great day here for me. Back is 95% better.

All you tinkerers stop by the CLAC page linked in the signature below and lets un hijack Terrys build thread.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #1777

Nice Trailer Gordon. Wish I could haul one that big behind my FERD. I just need a lift to have my Bike up high enough to get the hood of the Rodeo under it.
So 28 feet would be overkill. A long as I can get my 17' kayak inside with the bike and truck, I'd be happy.
But the added weight of the bike and trailer would exceed my hitch ratings.
We flat tow now!

We'll keep Janet in our Prayers Monday!

Headed out to the shop to work on my bike rail I'm building on the back of the Big Girl. (MH)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #1778

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Gordon, tell Janet we're pullin for her. Yes flowers seem to be a good choice I get the ones in a pot that she can plant. Curtis, get a small 5th wheel dolly and hook a 5th wheel trailer to the back of the RV, no weight on the hitch at all just pulling weight. there's a guy here that has one and I've seen him pull a 5th wheel box trailer with a one ton van, with duel wheels on the van, always see him on the road would like to see it up close. Might be tricky backing up, I've back up doubles before, (not far) be easier than that. I found a link to one, http://www.automatedsafetyhitch.com/

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote