Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #1779

I've seen those before, but don't think they will work on my Coach because of the overhang I have. Those dollys add to the length and I've been know to take out a stop sign or two with the Toad until I got used to long length and the swing out of the rear of the Coach in a tight turn.

Good thing for me was I was pulling my Armoured Up Rodeo and that Rock Crushing front bumper just laughed when destroying the sign. Not to mention the skid plate protected the underside as I drug it all over the remains.

Not to mention how high the tail gets when going over a ridge. Been known to drag the tail of the 20' (overall length) trailer when going over ridges in the road.

Look at my Avitar and your'll see what I mean. I really can't have much more swing out that I already have back there.

I also found this version, which is a lot shorter.
TrailerToad.com

I'm thinking I should just build a new open car hauling trailer and use a front car clip up front to carry the trailer toungue weight and put the bikes above it like a fifth wheel trailer. But have the bike back wheels above the hood of the truck on the trailer. My Coach is 37 feet long and so I've only got 28 feet to play with to stay legal. And with that long overhang having too much trailer behind with that wide swing could cause some problems.

We have been known to drive the Rodeo while attached to the MH to push the Big Girl up some of the steep inclines we find ourselves trying to crawl out of when we get back into the best 4 wheeling spots. Not to mention sometimes we have to turn around in some hairy places. So being able to drop the Toad fast is a nice option. But with this new engine and tranny those days should be a thing of the past!

Sometime you just gotta compromise on how many toys you take with you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #1780

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Curtis, I could see where swing could be a problem, Pulling the Rodeo over the stop sign, I could see that on You Tube . I can see the trailer your talking about, that would be interesting.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #1781

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello rebuild readers,

I agree with most of you about not wanting to sit around with nothing to do. Never have and don't plan on it at retirement. This is what is in my plan when retired and when I finally have a rig.

Most National Parks have jobs available. They are part time and vary in job type. Can help keep the park clean, work at the gate and greet campers and guests, work in the gift shop or restaurants, clean rooms, or whatever other jobs they have around depending on your skills.

You guys talking about taking a lot of tools would be popular. When we went to the North rim of the Grand Canyon we talked with several people (college and retired both) who worked there. There was a 92 and 93 yr old couple who had worked at the gift shop for over 20 yrs. In the winter they traveled. They said everyone was on vacation so they were always in a good mood. They spoke several languages between them so were great there.

School teacher at the front registration desk and loved it and it was her 15th yr at it. Work 3 days and spend the rest of the time seeing the canyon. Free camping and minimum wage.

At state parks. they are always short staffed. When you pull up to the gate ask if they need volunteer help. Free camping because they need help most of the time. Doing the same thing as above. Some places need painting or tree flower maintenance.

You are limited only by what you can't or won't do. I figure write down where I want to go, check out jobs and spend a season there. Make a bit of a difference and see some beautiful scenery. Good way to see the National Parks and the State ones
too.

See you all later, Gordon, God's prayers to Janet. Stay well all, Lynne
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #1782

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
OK , talk about can't leave it alone.....
Today I filled my water tank and fired up the water pump to fill the water heater.
De-winterized ! Soooooooo , Now the weather has GOT to warm up..
Anyone see a flaw in my logic????
Yes it must! You have started the summer.
Just wanted to say I was at the big globe at Christmas time. I don't know where I stored the picture that I took. Will be back up that way in June.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #1783

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jay,
I thought of that, but the extra fuel tank/tool box, plus the leveling planking and hitch only leaves behind the hitch, and that is usually taken by the ez up canopy. I bought a 110 volt mig to take with me, but haven't figured how to keep it dry and secure yet. Torches, I have learned to do without, use the 4" angle grinder and reciprocating saw instead, takes more time, but so what, lol.

Gordon,
Glad that Janet's surgery is scheduled soon, our thoughts and prayers are with her and you.

Terry,
You know that Eleanor will get her revenge on you for not listening one way or another.

Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #1784

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Oops,
Sorry Lynne, forgot to mention you, you know how age and memory go.
A lot of the parks have campworkers or volunteers that work maintenance, housekeeping, man the office or store. usually 2 or 3 days a week, 4 to 6 hours a day, for site and electric, it is really a good deal for those of us that need to keep busy, dollar and cents wise it is not a real good deal, less than $7 an hour, but most of us do it because we like it, not for the money part of it. in fact there is a forum on here just for workcampers.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #1785

Winnebago Owners Club
While traveling through Cody a couple years ago we met several work campers at a KOA. They worked 3 days a week. Said they were having a great time.

Couple that have their camper behind ours used to work at Bryce Canyon. They worked 5 days a week though. Worked the summer and then came down to Yuma. Last year they decided to stay in Yuma. Both work for the RV resort part time.

Lots of opportunities. Always good to have a plan.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #1786

I have a friend who is a Barber. In fact, his wife is a Hair Dresser too. They are close to retirement age and I told him that when he got ready we'd find them a Motorhome and I'd build them swingout barber chairs in the basement and then they could put out the screened in awning and cut hair a few hours a day in the Campgrounds.

The only issue they'd have is they would have to have Licenses for every State they camped in if they wanted to cut hair. I told him to start putting together a list of the States cuz I can make sure he has all the work he will want with a lighted PVC Barber Pole for him to hang up on the Awning when they wanted to work.

They guy makes about $130 an hour now! Can you imagine that"
Old 04-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #1787

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow - I get my hair cut in Los Algodones. $3.00 and she takes about 20 minutes. Best hair cut. Tip is always large.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #1788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Wow - I get my hair cut in Los Algodones. $3.00 and she takes about 20 minutes. Best hair cut. Tip is always large.
Wow, that should put her on the $15.00 Minimum Wage Group.
Skilled Haircut for $3.00. What a steal!

This guy can do a head every 10 minutes and his Customers are lined up.
But, us old guys don't have that much hair to cut anymore!
Old 04-04-2015, 05:45 AM   #1789

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning All, Lynne, I have read about doing the workcamping gig, sounds like it could be a fun way to travel. Bill, got to see that globe, we are only around 300 miles from Yarmouth. Frank, Eleanor is very good at getting me back. Gordon/Curtis, Eleanor usually cuts my hair, Maybe not for a while huh? (refer back to getting even ) Have a great day!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #1790
bap

first of all prayers forjanet ,,,
funny about the hair cut thing i get buzz cut twice a year...free,,not much up there and dont grow fast at all....lol
isnt it funny the older we get we cant grow the hair where we want it...but grows long and wild where we dont want it....lol...i swear the hair on my arms is longer than the hair on my head...and i would rather not say anything else....lol
Old 04-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #1791

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Bap, That's funny and true!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #1792

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Gordon, I always got my haircut in Algodones too when I lived there. It was 2.00 for seniors then! I get it cut in Lampang, Thailand now for 60 Baht, which is less than 2.00 dls. And it comes with a shave and a massage!
Also we are praying for Janet, that her surgery goes well, and she is up and around quickly!
As for all you guys that have all your stuff with you, I feel naked! No toad, basement empty, Half of the cabinets inside empty! But only being here for a month, and everything we buy has to be left or packed in the suitcases when we are done! Probably why we are getting such good mileage as we are light. Makes it a handful in the heavy wind, but I am used to that!
The mileage has been very good, 10, 9, 9.7, mpg even in the wind The DW and MIL are having the best of times, and love the MH and all the fun we are having so far!
Terry, take it slow, and it will all fall into place! Dang, did I just say that outloud!
Everyone is sick with the flu at my sons house, so we are going to take a few more days of siteseeing before we get there! Well time to get going! Everyone have a great day! Rail!