Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #1933

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
HH, sorry to hear that, glad your on the mend, that Flu is nothing to mess with.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #1934

I still have 7 days of taking the amoxicillin but I do feel like I might live now. And I understand how it could kill someone that isn't otherwise healthy. I can breath better now & coughing isn't as often or as intense. Really nasty stuff that OTC cough stuff won't touch.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Popeye, If there's a no motorcycle rule you won't find me there . I have heard of some campgrounds that ban them. Sounds like you have a handle on the workcamping biz.
Same here! My bike goes with me everywhere! But I can understand why they have that rule, as some Riders think they need to wake everyone up to have a safe ride. Me, I want my bikes as quiet as possible so the Cops don't hear me coming and only see my tail lights as I dissappear over the Horizon. That and it's the best way to hear my Stereo and talk on my phone in my helmet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We are going to the motorcycle club meeting tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Matter of interest one of the fellows at the club who we have done a number of motorcycle tours with had a double lung transplant about 7 months ago. He is getting better. He had very little hope before the transplant so he sold his Gold Wing. He is feeling good enough that he recently purchased a 650 Burgman. He will not travel with us this summer but I expect he will next year.

Little bit more reflection. Another of the fellows has had a hip and both shoulders done. He is the fellow who was riding his Ultra about 3 weeks after his hip replacement. Six months later he had one shoulder done and the other a year after that. He is now waiting for his second hip.
A Burgman is a great scooter. Good Cross Country Tourer if you aren't in a big hurry. I have a friend who has ridden her 650 Burgman all over the Country during Summer Breaks from teaching school. She never had a problem with her Burgman in 5 years. I plan to get one in a year or so!

I was one of those Guys who always pushed the PT. My Doctor put me in PT when I shattered my leg and back in 1975. I had to learn to walk again and they told me 24 months before I could go back to work climbing poles. I climbed that first pole 14 months after the accident. Ran my first 26 mile marathon 18 months after the fall. I wasn't fast, but I finished respectible.

Thinking back I think I was pretty stupid. I mean, I had an easy 2 year paid vacation and didn't take advantage of it. The Company I worked for didn't give a rats rear that I was back early. I did it for me and my family.
But hind sight is 20 / 20.

Quote:
Double lung transplant.....wow thinking of what they (doctors) can do is just amazing, seems not that many years ago they had that iron lung machine. The fellow with the hip and shoulder surgery is pretty incredible also, with all that being done I wish they would have more for hands, I have spoke to the doc that follows me for my hands and they just don't have good joints to put in your hands, I'm sure they are working on it I'll wait . Have fun at the meeting, your bikes are in Arizona? mine are still in storage.
Medicine has come so far since we were kids!

The only joint issue I have is two knuckles on my right hand. Crushed them many years ago when I got my hand caught in roll cage and ripped the hand off across the palm. This was in 1972 and they were able to reattach it all so I could live a normal life although it's scarred pretty good. It worked well enough after it healed I was able to continue playing the guitar. But now as I age those two knuckles have limited range of motion and hurt like cray when it rains. I'd replace them in a heartbeat if the Technology was up to snuff. We did replace two joints on Melissa's foot 5 years ago and she still has pain with them. But at least she can walk now.

Quote:
Frank, yup most of what I've done so far was done by me alone, I actually don't mind, I like working alone, it gives me time to think about what and how I'm doing it.
Harley, I have spent a lifetime figuring out how to do everything I need to do alone. Mainly because most people can't see what I have planned in my head. And it takes too long to explain it to them. Frustrating for sure, but it's the best way for me to get things built my way. And I rarely have to do it twice or fix it later. Even my shortcuts are overbuilt!!!

If you ever saw my shop I built you'd understand.

Oh, and for solar panel mounting I'll throw out this idea.

My Youngest son owns a Garage Door Business. That industry uses extruded aluminum rails on some models for the cable and chain to go through from the motor drive sprocket to the header anchor sprocket.

Those extruded rails are perfect for mounting solar panels on roofs with. As Joe replaces door openers for his customers they have him haul away the old units. He saves me all the extruded rails for my future solar panel projects. Those rails accept "T" bolts that make mounting the solar panels a breeze. They make spreading out the stress and shear loads out over a larger area of the roof for high wind conditions. Where I live we get a lot of high wind sometimes up to 70 MPH just from incoming storm fronts.
These rails would work well for trailer roof mounting too. Gives an unlimited option for bolt down placement.

I'll take some pictures of one if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Janet, don't give up on the PT! I would have been one of those patients to remove the staples at home then gone by the Dr's Office to show him my Medical Skills. I've been known to suture my cuts. But now I use Medical Grade Super Glue! Got some really clean scares to show my work. Some better than the Doctors have done.
Got a nice Surgical Medical Bag. Scalpels, Forcepts, Quick Clot, 30 silk and needles and even a spreader! We take it on Expedition Trips. You never know when someone is goona have a life emergency.

Well, I gotta run. It's raining with hail here and I have got get some work done in the shop.

It's TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #1936

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
HH, I can sympathize on the coughing, I used to be on this one med that totally took out my immune system, I got Pneumonia for three yrs in a row, I used some stuff that I can't remember the name now but the bottle said worlds worst tasting cough syrup, it was too but it worked. Curtis, My bike is not super quiet, (it is a Harley after all) but I respect the rights of others, I keep my stereo down when I come into towns ect. and I can talk on my phone thru my headsets so it can't be too bad . I agree on the Burgman I had a customer that was in his 70"s rode all over, I had to put tires on every year. I know exactly what you mean on the rails and your right perfect way to mount them. I got my working alone from my father, he was like that, some of the things he built just because there was nobody around to help were pretty amazing. Have a great afternoon.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #1937

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Yes and no, Glad to go see other sites, but sad to see everyone go, after all, this has become home, and the other campers here have become family.
HH,
Sorry to hear that you were not feeling well, and hope that you are on the quick road to full recovery.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #1938

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Same here! My bike goes with me everywhere! But I can understand why they have that rule, as some Riders think they need to wake everyone up to have a safe ride. Me, I want my bikes as quiet as possible so the Cops don't hear me coming and only see my tail lights as I dissappear over the Horizon. That and it's the best way to hear my Stereo and talk on my phone in my helmet!

A Burgman is a great scooter. Good Cross Country Tourer if you aren't in a big hurry. I have a friend who has ridden her 650 Burgman all over the Country during Summer Breaks from teaching school. She never had a problem with her Burgman in 5 years. I plan to get one in a year or so!
I particularly like the quiet of my bike. I ride with a couple fellows with Ultra Classics who have left their machines stock. It does not bother me to ride close to them.

I like to start mine before they start theirs as the only way I can tell mine is running if they start first is by the tach. LOL
Old 04-21-2015, 07:37 PM   #1939

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Frank, I can see where after six months or so how it becomes routine, and seeing everyone and having coffee, golf ect. is very nice. I think that's what I miss the most after retiring, the routine talking to the people that you naturally gravitate to because of same interest likes ect. Even waving at the same car that you've met at the same spot for years. Gordon, The only time I almost got run over was by a Gold Wing, my shop was on a busy road and just over a rise, I started to cross to get the mail and that Wing almost got me , I never did hear him. We worked on all bikes but we were considered a mostly Harley oriented, shop because we built a bunch from the ground up, we had a pretty big following from some bike "clubs" (no colors were allowed). So long story short I like a little noise .
Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #1940

Don't recall ever being this sick & especially for this long. Hard to breath most of the time. Coughing bouts that make me light headed. A few days last week I was going threw a two ply roll per day. But knew I had to keep taking in liquids so I didn't dehydrate. Laying down to try to sleep was not possible because laying down would make me throw up. So any sleep has been sitting in a chair.
When I had thought about calling 911 my thought was no because the VA is in a different county. So forced myself to drive to the VA ER. A 45 minute drive. About an hour before checked by a nurse who quickly knew what I had. About 15 minutes later ER doctor confirmed it. Nurse told me when I got the meds to make sure to take every one of the pills to ensure eliminating all the infection. Then about 35 minute wait for the amoxicillin.

As directed, I initially took two pills & did that before leaving the VA. About three hours later I started feeling like I might live threw this crap.

Thanks for the concern. Shows what a great group we have here.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #1941

Frank , I know what you mean , some(most) of my best friends are folks I met in campgrounds during a seasonal stay. Seems like there are more of them than from my hometown.....Now that I think about it , I've spent more time out on the road than I did growing up at home.Not to mention the great people I've met on Rving forums too!

The first thing I'm going to do when I get to the CG is get the rule book to check on bike restrictions, if any of you guys come all the way up here to the East Coast Alaska I'd like the chance to meet ya!

HH
That's some serious stuff for us older folks. Do everything they tell ya to do ,and then some.
Looks like Terry is about to be at it again soon , so you'll have some entertainment while you get better.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #1942

Terry, before feeding solar panel wires down off the roof make sure to mark the + & - as they need hooked up in proper sequence to the controller. And when installing the panels on the roof make sure they are covered or you will be working with "hot" wires.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:36 AM   #1943

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, HH, that's sounds like you really had it bad, like Popeye said it can be very serious fast but it looks like you did the right thing and got the stuff to nip it out, glad the VA got you in. I'm going to build a combiner box up on the roof and feed two wires down. Thanks for the reminder on the live wire thing always a good thing to be reminded about that. Popeye when you find out about the rules let us know. Have a great day all.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:09 AM   #1944

I've always said the doctors & nurses at the VA were dedicated professionals. Paper pushers, not so much.

Everything the ER nurse told me has come to be. Late last night I was feeling better so had a bowl of cereal which stayed down. And about 2AM was able to lay down in bed for about two hours. Almost feeling human this morning.

I did a redneck combiner box on the roof of my storm shelter. Short length of copper tube, put the wires in it, crushed the copper tube, then wrapped with electrical tape.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #1945

Retired Fire Service RVer's
HH,
Very glad that you are starting to feel better. Also that is good advise on the live wires.
Rvpopeye,
You are so right about the meeting good people. We are planning an Alaska trip with a Canadian couple, either 2016 or 2017 depending on health issues, will let you know when plans finalize so we can try to meet up.
Terry,
Setting up the new routine is probably the hardest part of retirement. But then once you get it done, it is much easier to modify it.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Harley, I have spent a lifetime figuring out how to do everything I need to do alone. Mainly because most people can't see what I have planned in my head. And it takes too long to explain it to them. Frustrating for sure, but it's the best way for me to get things built my way. And I rarely have to do it twice or fix it later. Even my shortcuts are overbuilt!!!
This might be an impediment to the great CLAC Master Project..or not!!

I feel the same way. It often takes me longer to explain something than it does to get it done myself.

I was working on a few projects with a like-minded guy at a church camp work weekend several years ago, and he made the comment that he liked working with me because he didn't have to explain anything. I told him "Likewise, Rod!" We built several projects that day, never having to discuss how we thought it should be built. We just forged ahead and got them done, with him working on one part, me working on another, and our tasks aligned perfectly. We chatted all day, discussing his scale steam locomotive projects and my boatbuilding projects, rarely ever discussing the tasks at hand.

Have a great day everyone and good luck on the solar install, Terry.

Get well, HH!