Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #2031

Retired Fire Service RVer's
HH,
As the saying goes" Don't you just love it when a plan comes together". Glad that it will be a non issue for you.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #2032

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, good to see your almost ready to hit the road. We only have PT twice a week for a little bit so we are almost ready to rock here, the weather man says for the next week its going to be above average temps and no rain so that's a good sign. Ordered a rubber floor mat in diamond plate shape for the ramp door yesterday so we can finish up that, should be here next week. HH, sounds like you should be in great shape when you get your MH, sand and motorcycles just don't mix. Have a great day all.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #2033

Especially when somebody else has a plan that fixes your plan !!!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #2034

Good friends on the next road over have a 4x4 tractor with grating blade. They have a class A. Figured when it was time I would ask them to make our road alittle better.
About 10 years ago I had three loads of limerock dumped & grated infront of my place. So that is a non issue.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #2035
bap

terry you mind if i high jack ur thread with my winnebago mess that i have gotton myself into....lol...
Old 04-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #2036

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
It's always nice when friends or neighbors have the right equipment to do the job. Bap, go right ahead, no problems here.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #2037

What an awesome build! keep up the good work. I hope the weather is more cooperative soon.

-Brandon
MotoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #2038

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning everyone.
Sounds like all good news this morning. Weather is getting warmer, bap is back to building, Debbie came through a scare, Terry will be building soon, bikes are coming out, plans are coming together, roads are getting built. WOW - life is grand.

All is well here and looking forward to pictures and renovation stories in the coming days.

Have a grand day everyone.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #2039

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dear Terry,
Thanks for going to all of the trouble of keeping all of us up to date on your 1973 Skamper 5th wheel 35 ft. I also want to build myself one on a 28 foot 5th wheel. Only I want to make mine more or less like a tiny house, Victorian style. You ask, why Victorian? I just love anything Victorian. I plan on having the bedroom above the fifth wheel, then rest room and laundry, den and at the end the kitchen. Metal roof and custom cabinets with a 30 inch range and refrigerator and draw dish washer. Sleep 6, feed six and self-contained. I do plan on selling after I finish.
Would you mind bring us all up to speed on your build, how much have you spent, what is left to do? Also thing like floor covering used, wall covering, types of windows used, etc.? Also, how can I found out what load my axles can carry?
I am planning on extending the length of my trailer by 10 to 12 feet, adding some in front of and some in back of the axles, by adding another c channel to the existing to make a boxed frame. Do you see any problems doing this? What has been the biggest “I didn’t plan on doing that or unplanned expense? What do you plan on being your height? I’m thinking 13’-6” but may go with 12’6”?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 04-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #2040

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good afternoon, Brandon, Thanks, I think the weather is finally coming around . Gordon, It seems the sun and planets are coming in line! Bill, Thanks, I guess I would have some questions also, are you planning on moving your 5th wheel like an RV or would it be parked? That would make the way that you build very different. To date I have spent approximately 11,000.00, with maybe 7000.00 left depending on what I change in my plans as I go, (I have had a tendency to do that) I need to finish the interior and the solar system, also some exterior, lights, AC, holding tanks ect. My floor covering depended on where it was, the garage has a one piece vinyl floor made for wet or tough wear as motorcycles will be drove on it. the living area and bedroom is covered with a snap together plank flooring. Windows are standard RV. Walls and ceiling are luan, walls will be finished with a custom paint, ceilings will be covered with a headliner material. As far as adding to your frame the only thing I can say is anything is possible if done correctly, when you stretch a trailer your axles need to located properly. If your starting with a 28 ft trailer I'm thinking your axles might be 3000 lb but you would have to verify. 13' 6" is the tallest that you can go, My 5th wheel is closer to 11' 6" As far as an unplanned expense, I would have to say the solar system, wasn't in the original plan. Hope that answered your questions. The best way to have a lot of questions answered is to start a thread there are alot of great people here that will help you along.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #2041

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks Terry,
Today washed the truck, Finished packing stuff and rearranging(don't know how, but we sure accumulate a lot of extra stuff every 6 or 7 months down here) Truck is hooked up and everything but electric is unhooked and put away. Raise the landing gear, bring the slides in and plug in the trailer to the truck and we will be on the road by 9am.
Had a job yesterday on the nose cone, the name decals were in bad shape from the sun, so when I polished then waxed the cone, I removed the decals and glue UGHHHHH, over an hour to remove See Ya! Gold, when I get home, I will get a sign painter to paint it back on, I don't do well with letters and paint.
Later All,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #2042

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry, How many of the old 1973 rv parts or your planning on using? Is there one place you bought most of your new rv parts? I see you started construction last September, when do you plan on being finished? Have any new photos or a photo album?

Bill
Old 04-30-2015, 11:53 PM   #2043

Terry, is this something like the solar combiner box you were thinking of?

https://www.solarblvd.com/product_in...oducts_id=2039
Old 05-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #2044

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank, I know what you mean with the decals and now that they are off you can still see where they were. Bill, I used very little of the 73 5th wheel other than the frame and basic construction. I bought another 5th wheel that had water damage, (it was newer) out of that I used windows, plumbing, cabinets ect. as far as new parts I just shopped around. Ebay, Amazon can be your best friend, I also had my own Auto repair shop so had contacts for axles, siding ect. I am hoping to be finished late spring, early summer baring any more set backs. The pics that are on the thread are the latest, I haven't been able to do alot due to Knee surgery. I primarily work alone so until I can get geared up work will be slow. HH, that box would work, that one is metal I was looking at plastic, so I could glue the piping coming out and going into the TH roof. I think I am going to build my own out of Home Depot parts. May get some rain showers today, but still warm . Have a great day all.