Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #197

Monaco Owners Club
This is such a great thread. I just found it, and I am so happy. First, let me say that you (Harley1994) are a real craftsman. I can't believe the stuff you've done. I'd have nothing but a crumpled mess! That being said, I have a '76 Trans Am 5'er that I would really like to add a rear door/ramp. I do not live it the unit, I use if for storage, but if I could get a ramp installed, I could store(and move) an ATV, etc. So I will be very interested when you get to the rear door/ramp. All the best for a successful project. You sure got a good start on it! Regards,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0595.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	75170  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #198

What a great way to know your unit and the quality control!!! This is a great thread. I am in awe.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:08 AM   #199

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Thanks again for all the kind words, ronspradley, I have seen that ice and water used, in fact I had a roof put on my house last year and the roofer used it in the valleys ect. good stuff, I'm not sure how it would react with EPDM and the different adhesives, HuntingHawk I can see why you would have to be careful, I never thought about it, and not sure if it would relate, but I've done alot of welding with a DC welder, so if its anything like that I would say it warrents respect. Hi Don happy to have you along, its been quite a ride so far!! Stay tuned I will be attempting the ramp soon . The biggest thing with any unit that wasn't designed to haul is the frame, you'll have to make sure that the frame will hold up under the loads of loading and unloading, as well as the added stress of bouncing down the road, and then moving anything inside the unit thats in the way. jeffinsalida, I just couldn't find what I wanted in a unit so I said lets rebuild what we had around, little did I know I would be this involved.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #200

Terry, one thing to consider is you will probably end up with something better then what is on the market. You'll have a new 5er for no where near the cost of a toy hauler. And it will be laid out the way the two of you want.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #201

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HuntingHawk, I think we figured around $6000.00 for the majority of the unit. Thats not including items like a solor system, but like you said it will be laid out like we want it, and I should be able to figure out how to fix it if something breaks. Only thing is I'm also the warrenty dept. The roof is on . no more tarps, its a big day here!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0928141439a.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	75242  
Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #202

Very nice.

This is getting me excited to start building exterior panels for our project.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #203

Roof looks great. So even if it gets cold you can use an electric space heater & still be able to work inside.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #204

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Piker, Thanks! I've been following yours also, I think sometimes mine is easier than yours, you have a job in front of you but its not insurmountable, whats that saying "just do it". HuntingHawk, I still have to build a ramp for the rear, but now like you said I will put an infrared heater and be toasty
Old 09-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #205

So Terry, are you going to use cable, pulleys, & weights to make the ramp easier to get up & down?
Old 09-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #206

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry,

Congrats on getting your roof on. You have come so far with your RV and I am amazed and excited for you. I am sure Eleanor is getting more ideas about how she wants things set up.

You will have a very special rig when you are done. Look forward to seeing your finished product. Are you going to list it as a 2014 Terry / Harley Hauler?

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:47 AM   #207

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Hi Lynne, thanks! we actually figured we will have to bring along an picture album in case we get stopped by police, its just not going to look like a 1973 Skamper! HuntingHawk, I am going to use a hinge with torsion springs, I'll post a pic of the type (not mine its on another trailer).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boonhauler6.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	75286  
Old 09-29-2014, 03:52 AM   #208

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Oh, Lynne, Eleanor, has been looking at all forms of interior items!! very busy.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:08 AM   #209

Terry, keep in mind that torsion springs wear out & break. So in building it I suggest making sure being able to replace if needed.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #210

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HuntingHawk, Yes just like most things you have to figure on replacing at some point, my reasoning is that they won't all break at the same time giving me a chance to repair, and still get the ramp closed. if I went with a cable system, there is a good chance it will be harder to close, IMO. Plus the cables are in the way of moving around.