Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #2087

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Looking good Terry.

Game On!
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #2088

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Busy day, PT then go chase an SUV with an engine noise to see if it was safe to drive.........no problem, AC compressor is toast cut the belt drive to shop. The ramp covering came today, guess what I'm doing tomorrow. MT, Thanks for the tips! I did brace the walls, hopefully enough, and the back is built with steel framing, for the ramp. Jay, YUP .
Old 05-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #2089

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
I kind of was reading your mind on the wall, it is probably really close to what I would do in your case. I agree fully on what you did, Kudos on another job well done.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #2090

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Frank, Thanks, one reason I like to post what I do is I know someone may come up and give me ideas to do it better or say it is good enough, time will tell . Have a great night.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:22 AM   #2091

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, Terry, looking good!! Don't think anyone can say it's under built!! That should stiffen it up nicely! What door did you decide to put in? Glad your knee is doing ok, and not giving you trouble! Counting the days till the PT is over, I bet! The way I hauled the bike's in the semi with E-track was to X the straps thru the rear wheel, and never had a problem! As long as you don't have solid wheels, that will work, if you do have wheels that you cannot get a strap thru, you can do the same thru the frame. I would also do the same to the front, thru the frame, and to the walls, the bikes would not go any where! You do have to stop and check on the straps a couple of times, to make sure they have not worked loose! In all my years of hauling things in my semi trailer, from Flight Simulators for Boeing to slot machines for Bally Tech. I never had a claim! But I was the kind of guy that if it called for 1 strap, I would put 2, if it called for 2 straps, I would put 4!
Glad you are back at it Terry!
Rail!
Old 05-06-2015, 04:23 AM   #2092

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tie down bolts

Morning Terry,

Keep in mind I am not technical like a lot of the builds you and the others do. I have read that one of the problems you have with hauling bikes is that the tires slide back and forth. You discuss tie downs to keep this from happening.

Wondered if you pulled the bikes in where you wanted them parked and put a mark on either side of the tires and then put these in if it would stabilize them from sliding. That way the tire is strapped into place. They are small enough to ride over or work around but usable to tie down the tires.

Just an idea, and like I said, I don't understand all the technical stuff so it may not work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tie down.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	93531  
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:04 AM   #2093

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Rail, We decided on a slider, found hardware to make one that will keep the door on the tracks and not bump off. the opening is 28" and the door is 30" so I can seal it against fumes from the garage. Yup, I also have X'ed my straps on my bikes, and the race cars too when trailering. Lynne, you are on the right track, only we are using E Track so we have some adjustment for the tie downs, google it and you will see what I mean there are tons of parts and pieces for it. well got to get at it catch all later.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #2094

I've still been following along Terry but only able to get onlne every couple days or so... Nice job on that wall.. I overbuild everything too because I grew up watching my Dad just patch thngs up because he didn't have time to do the job right the first time. Oddly, he always found the time to do the subsequent patch jobs when the original wold just hold no more...
One thing I'm wondering about is using sheet metal studs vs. wood. They are claimed to be stronger in non-load bearing walls for buildings. But in thinking this through, I would have to imagine that much of the strength in walls built like that wold come from the sheet-rock (or in the case of the RV - Luan) - so I'm not so sure that metal studs would be a viable option...

So carry on sir... Hope the PT goes well for you. My wife gets both knees done in just under a month. I will be there a year later with my left knee, then my right hip.
Life is tough - noone has been known to survive it yet....
Old 05-06-2015, 06:19 AM   #2095

Freightliner Owners Club
Lynne,
For not being Technical, you sure are spot on. I used those for the tie downs on my car hauler, welded a 4" channel under the wood floor and then bolted those down through the channel. They have been on the trailer for probably 15 years or more without any problems.
Terry,
I always x'ed the back straps when I hauled anything also. I would also tie down the on the axle and/or lower control arms and let the suspension do its work while towing.
Frank
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #2096

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Morning Terry,

Keep in mind I am not technical like a lot of the builds you and the others do. I have read that one of the problems you have with hauling bikes is that the tires slide back and forth. You discuss tie downs to keep this from happening.

Wondered if you pulled the bikes in where you wanted them parked and put a mark on either side of the tires and then put these in if it would stabilize them from sliding. That way the tire is strapped into place. They are small enough to ride over or work around but usable to tie down the tires.

Just an idea, and like I said, I don't understand all the technical stuff so it may not work.
Lynne I used a system like this on my aluminum race car trailer to hold my cars in place. 4 straps over the tires with adjustable wheel chocks in the front of the tires. But we did it this way because our race cars didn't have a lot of suspension and transporting it by compressing it against the bump stops would mess up the spring rates. Light weight race cars are funny that way.
I'll show you my trailer when your here. It was a breeze to tie them down because the rachets were flat against the floor channel.

FYI there are some really slick drive into front wheel chock systems for motorcycles out now that can lock your wheel in place just by driving into them. Just add some straps for side to side control and one to hold the rear tire from bouncing and your off.
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #2097

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Randy, its been a little slow around here but its picking up . I thought about the steel units, I used them in some building projects at my shop, but I think you are right about them finding strength from what is put on them. Good luck on the surgery's, it is a process for sure but coming out the other side in a few months it is worth it. Frank, I also would let the suspension work tied down wheels and axles.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #2098

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Terry,
Congrat's on getting back to your labor of love.
I go away for a week and a half and looked what I missed.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #2099

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning all;
Only issue I think has to be solved is the cantilever effect at the back of a toy hauler. I found that the bike tends to bounce. Most likely the truck is a bit stiff and that is translated throuh across the trailer axles to the back end. Even with the triple axle with shocks there seems to be a lot of flipping going on.

I set the suspension on the bike to the highest setting and take everything out of the saddle bags and top case to keep the bike suspension movement to a minimum.

As Rail and Terry say extra straps and frequent checking go a long way to saving damage from occurring.

Reflecting on the remainder of work Terry has to do. Once the tanks and solar is installed the rest should go quite quickly. Walls will go up fast, especially if the weather cooperates to let him have a table saw close. Or move the trailer really close to the shop. I am predicting final setup in 3 - 4 weeks. There will still be some trim to go in but am suggesting that T & E use the TH a bit before doing the final finishing. I expect there could be some small changes once they try it out.

Have a great day everyone. Going to be a great one here.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #2100

Freightliner Owners Club
Curtis,
I hope that the bad weather went around you and that you didn't get the brunt of it.
Gordon,
I think you are spot on in your time estimate and about the final finishing.
Frank