Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #2115

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, I agree with everyone else, I would glue it and put the frame around the edges! Should be good to go!
Slider on the door, with the cinch down hooks, and a nice rubber seal, and no fumes! Good choice!!
The bottom of your door opening on the TH is fairly close to the ground, so your transition should be ok, I hope. And we diccussed the need for drop down jacks to make the rear solid and not give when you ride the HD up and in the TH already! You can always crank up the dollys in the front to change the angle a bit! But you already know this stuff!! Hehehehe!!!
Rail!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 04:41 AM   #2116

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Gordon, I can feel for you with the snow, (I did ride my bike yesterday, just sayin) The floor of the garage is lower then the door edge so there is a short transition needed. I'll post a pic when I have my ramp setup for putting the bikes in. David, I don't know what other TH ramp angle is mine was too steep, (I think) so I raised the end and use an extension. Gordon, I also have a 7' door, the floor is 33" off the ground, not sure what most TH are for height of the floor to the ground. Your right the Harley is low to the ground and I can't raise it easily. Rail, I guess the general consensus is a frame around the rubber, so that's what I'll do . Yup if I had to I could raise the front of the TH. I need to put jacks on the rear anyway to stabilize so that can be used so the rear won't move when loading ect. PT today three more to go . Have a great day!
Old 05-07-2015, 05:02 AM   #2117
bap

have a good day at PT. soon will be done with that distraction...
just had to jump in ....have a goodone everyone,,,,
i got my supplies from the vintage camper supply.....going to change out a couple vents today or tomarrow,,,,
Old 05-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #2118

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
I kind of agree with Curtis, Aluminum rail around the outside then a couple of rows of fender washers and screws. I would be afraid that over time, the torque of the tires loading and unloading would pull the center of the mat away from the door. Have a good PT, almost at the end. Are you going to use the scissor type jacks on the back of the TH? You can get a motorized one, or just use your cordless drill to raise and lower. You will need something even just when you are camping to keep the unit from bouncing around by just walking in it.
Bap,
Don't forget the pics as you start the installation of the new parts.

Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #2119

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Bap, Thanks, have fun installing all those parts, almost like Christmas . I'm with Frank, pictures please. Frank, I'm wondering about the center also over time, I guess we'll see what happens there. I think I'll get the manual style jacks, I use my cordless drill to raise and lower the landing gear now so it'll work.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #2120

Freightliner Owners Club
Terry,
Another thought, Instead of fender washers and screws, take 2 - 2" wide aluminum flat strips with counter sunk flat head screws, placed across 1/3 and 2/3 of the way. Again, just thinking out loud. I'm spoiled, I have the electric motor on my landing gear, and my back jacks are hydraulic. I do like the scissor style rather than the single pivot style. The only problem with the electric drill is to remember to keep the battery charged, or have to carry a spare battery.
Frank
Old 05-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #2121

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - I just measured the 5er. Our floor is 29 inches off of the ground.

You have had your motorcycles in the trailer already so you know it is doable. I was thinking about the extra thickness of the rubber and more specifically the height of the frame. The clearance would have been close when you loaded them so will the extra height of the covering be an issue?

Raising the front of the trailer could be a pain. Our truck suspension will rise about 2" suspension but after that I have to unhook to raise the front of the trailer any more. I have only loaded or unloaded with the truck hooked up so did not put the rear stabilizers down. Very steady. Now I wonder if I would put them down if the truck was not hooked up. Probably not as the pin weight is around 2500 with the bikes loaded.

I always tried to have the trailer wheels on the flat or in a depression when loading or unloading. If the drop gate is lower on the ground than the wheels I will have trouble getting across the transition to the floor.

I have loaded the bikes and the car into the stacker without the coach hooked up and did put the rear stabilizers down. Hitch weight is under 250 lbs so the back would probably go down.

I agree that the wheel torque will tend to push the rubber. Either as Frank says strips across or down the center lengthwise screwed down may help with stablizing. I dont think you will be able to ever get it not to lift. Eventually the glue will lose its bond under the stress. That IMO will be far in the future. How long it lasts will be a function of how smooth the loading goes. Once you get used to driving up a bit of momentum will reduce the torque stress.

I am able to slip the wet clutch in the Wing and our door is covered in diamond plate. Rubber is nicer to drive on as I have managed to do burn outs a couple times after driving across damp grass.

When unloading I try to use the rear brake and front brake together. Our brakes are integrated so I get a lot of control. I tried using the front brake only but there is not enough traction on the diamond plate so once you get going you are committed.

I have also experimented with leaving the bike in gear and turning the engine off. Then the clutch acts like a brake and I can leave both feet on the deck. Jury is out on that one but it does work.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #2122

Freightliner Owners Club
Gordon,
I would be hesitant on loading a 700 to 900# bike with a 200#(give or take) rider on an unsupported trailer, even with 2500# pin weight, the cantilever effect could overcome the static weight, I would run the jacks down to within an inch or two of the blocks(I don't like to put jacks on the ground) so the trailer suspension can work, but that's about all. I would do this even if hooked up because it takes the stress off of the pin and hitch.
Frank
Old 05-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #2123

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Terry,
Another thought, Instead of fender washers and screws, take 2 - 2" wide aluminum flat strips with counter sunk flat head screws, placed across 1/3 and 2/3 of the way. Again, just thinking out loud. I'm spoiled, I have the electric motor on my landing gear, and my back jacks are hydraulic. I do like the scissor style rather than the single pivot style. The only problem with the electric drill is to remember to keep the battery charged, or have to carry a spare battery.
Frank

Beat me to it.

Terry - looking good brother.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #2124

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Frank, Never thought of stress on the pin and hitch. Bike is 928, rider less. The trailer starts out with about 3500 on the pin and the 2500 is after the bikes are loaded. I do not have the extact numbers at hand. They are in the truck and that is in the shed. I will grab the exact numbers later if anyone is interested.

I checked with the inTech people and the jacks on their trailer are rated for 5000 lbs each. I put them down on the ground as I do not want the trailer moving at all when it is not hooked up. Wheel chocks, jacks and tongue jack should keep it from going anywhere.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #2125

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Frank, food for thought, thanks for the ideas. Gordon, the first time in I didn't put anything inside the TH, and they scraped coming in, second time I put a 1" board and a piece of 3/8 plywood and it was okay, I will look into getting a piece of aluminum that I can put in that will make the transition from the ramp into the TH smoother. I'll take some pics the next time I load the bikes to show what I mean. Without unhooking I wouldn't be able to raise the front, picking up the back of the International..........well it just wouldn't. I would be better off driving up on ramps of some sort, and that would also be a pain, just better off making the back work as is. The bikes we have don't have integrated brakes, so no help there, I did notice mine didn't slide the front wheel and Eleanor's V Star did want to, her bike is lighter. I think that may pull on the rubber more than going up. Jay, thanks! Frank, good info and ideas on the loading and unloading, right now my TH is on jack stands in the back to level it for building so it never wiggled but later its something to think about.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #2126

I am compelled to point out that a motorcycle tire contact patch is very narrow, maybe 2.5 to 3 inches wide by 4 to 5 inches long! So a 2 inch wide linear strip of aluminum near the tire pathway while loading could be a traction problem. Especially on a damp ramp where traction is marginal if you are using the bikes engine to drive it up into the trailer.
( I build my ramps so I can ride my bikes up the ramp while standing on the pegs. I stand on the pegs so my body weight is at the bottom of the bike frame for better balance.)

Imagine loading your 700- 900 lb motorcycle and getting slightly off line or out of balance. You miss loading line the a little and the rear tire runs over the aluminum strip while under power. Things are going to go sideways real fast.

I wouldn't want to be the one trying to catch that beast as it rolls over on the ramp.

I suggest that if you decide to use 2 inch wide aluminum reinforcement strip that you run them horizontal. And, or, make your Aluminum Strips out of 2 inch wide tread plate.

Oh and BTY, my son called this morning. He just got home from a business trip to Israel. (He an Associate Pastor for a Mega Church here in Texas and goes to Israel about 3 times a year.) He let me know that some of his Associates there, and those who go with him from Texas are talking about doing a Motorcycle Tour around Israel the next time they go. He asked if I wanted to go with him? DUH???? YEA!

The best part is, he's going to pay for my entire trip. Looks like I need to upgrade my passport! And they ride Big Bore Dual Sports over there. Just like the bikes I ride here.

Bucket List:
Visit Israel; Check!
European Motorcycle Ride; Check (Well almost Europe)
Old 05-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #2127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Oh and BTY, my son called this morning. He just got home from a business trip to Israel. (He an Associate Pastor for a Mega Church here in Texas and goes to Israel about 3 times a year.) He let me know that some of his Associates there, and those who go with him from Texas are talking about doing a Motorcycle Tour around Israel the next time they go. He asked if I wanted to go with him? DUH???? YEA!

The best part is, he's going to pay for my entire trip. Looks like I need to upgrade my passport! And they ride Big Bore Dual Sports over there. Just like the bikes I ride here.

Bucket List:
Visit Israel; Check!
European Motorcycle Ride; Check (Well almost Europe)
AND WITH your son!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #2128

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
AND WITH your son!!!!!!

Isn't that cool?

He and I used to ride a lot together before he got married.
Weekend camping trips were common. Both two up and one our bikes.

We bought him a Honda 750 on his 17th birthday so he could keep up with me. I raised him on motorcycles all his life, so this was a big step up from his 125 he rode to school. Some good times. Looking forward to another with him.

Sorry for the hijack Terry!