Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #211

Cables would be on the inside side of the ramp. Pulleys top inside. And weights would move straight up & down.
Haven't done a set in your configuration but works great for flat bed trailers.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #212

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HH, We used a few car haulers that had cables and torsion spring system kinda like a garage door setup. I didn't like the extra parts ect inside the TH.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #213

Not a problem. Was just a suggestion.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #214

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

No problem HH, I like suggestions, Keepem coming!!
Old 09-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #215

Moving the ramp up & down without some sort of mechanical assistance would get old real quick.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #216

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

We once had a cable break on a car hauler, it took 4 guys to pick up the ramp, yep it would be old real quick. LOL. I started to put on the weather strip trim, I was able to straighten and clean the old trim, reseal with butyl tape and install.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #217
bap

i havent commented on ur build lately, but still been watching every day before i go to bed and while im having my coffee in the morning,,,roof looks great and im happy for u not haveing to tarp it up everytime weather threat,s of rain,,and now u can throw in a heater for those chilly morning,s..lol
i have all but finished my rv garage and work shed and the DW and i have finished our build of the 68 aritocrat land commandor,, plus today i took off to get my old 94 wrangler ridge runners clutch in and the 8,8 rearend in,,....now i can pull thge old TAG ALONG in the new work shed and start stripping it down for a total rebuild..

HH has had alot of good info, and i didnt want to interupt him and GORDAN they have been very helpfull on your build..
just wanted to let ya know im still in envy of your project...keep posting...im learning alot from this thread,,,the DW and i are new at redoing rv,s even though we have ALOT of excperence in rebuilding old mobile homes,,,we had way to many mobile homes that we built a very nice park with....not ur everyday trailor trash park..
but thank god we just sold the biggest part of them and the park,,,which was more known as a neighbor hood than a trailor park...lol
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:43 AM   #218

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Good Morning Bap, I'm glad you got your garage done weather down there will be moving in. I built alot of jeeps back in the day, swapping in small block chevy engines ect. used to sand drag and mud bog. The Toy Hauler project slowed down a little with the roof getting done, now doing some little details, I'll get some pics up.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #219

Not sure what size solar panels you thought to use but as a reference a 100watt panel is going to run about 18lbs plus weight of frame.

As a reference, I have six panels which are a mix of 80 & 90 watt panels for a total of 520watts. My panels are adjustable for where the sun is during the year. Best I have gotten is just shy of 27amps. That might give you an idea of what size controller you will need.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #220

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

HuntingHawk, I remember seeing some panels that are very flexable, and if I remember correctly they glued them directly to the roof, can't recall the price or how many watts ect. How did you fasten to the roof?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #221

Keep in mind mine are on a storm shelter. South side the panel frames are hinged & bolted threw the roof. North side I use 2X4s that are screwed together as "steps" which allows me to adjust for the needed 15-45 degrees I need here.

The flexible solar strips are expensive & very low output. Helped a neighbor put some on their 36VDC golf cart which they use to go check their mail 2 or 3 times per week which is about a mile round trip.

For flat mounting of panels, L brackets are attached to the solar panel frames spaced that they will attach to roof framing. L brackets are pop riveted or tig welded to the panel frames, 4 per panel. pilot hole threw roof & into framing. Silicone on the roof side of the L brackets & then silicone on the threads of the sheet metal screws.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #222

For less then the cost of a 9watt flex panel you can purchase a 120watt panel.

Solarblvd
Old 09-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #223

The power cords are normally run down threw the wall where there is already an exhaust like for frig, water heater, etc.

The power cords on the roof are often run threw these & attached to the roof via glue & screw.
Search Results forÂ*Over-the- floor cord protectorsÂ*at The Home Depot
Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #224

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Thanks for the info HuntingHawk, Here's a pic of starting to put the weatherstrip on the nose ect. interesting that it bends so easy without kinking. Also a picture of my "crew" coming to work. Trouble is all they want to do is eat LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0930140828.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	75379   Click image for larger version

Name:	0930140839.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	75380