Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 06:06 AM   #2227

Terry, ok on the DW finding it. Thank her for me if you will Think I will do the same application to my old 71 Terry trailer if my DW likes the look. She had said something about painting the ceiling once I rebuild it.
BobJNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 06:28 AM   #2228

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome aboard BobJNC, you will find a good bunch here following Terry's build, when you get started on yours, please post pics and show the progress on a thread here. As you have seen here, you will get a lot of good advise and many ideas. And besides, most of us enjoy watching someone bring an old unit back to life.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #2229

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Bob, I'll thank her for you . I agree with Frank start a thread and show us what you have and how your doing it, we all learn by what everyone does! I'm trying to bring back to life some cabinets from the original FW to use in the garage area, not sure if I will succeed or not.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #2230

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Frank, if you can build it, you can over-build it.

I once put up a satellite dish in my previous S&B, and a tornado could have taken out the house, but that dish would still have been there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
That's that thing you do when you have to hold your hands up to get to it!
OH!, I thought that was overburden.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #2231

Well I arrived at the lake today , found my site and had to rake up a foot of leaves that covered it. While I was doing that , I found the septic inlet which turns out was higher than my dump valve outlet as well as the whole site not being level at all. . (is there a thumbs DOWN smiley ?)

Sooooo , I got some 2x10+8 scraps and cut up some pieces to stack and promptly blew out my brakes while trying to get up on them . Guess I'll be using the shower house , I HATE that

Then gave up on that part of setting up and (very carefully) moved over 8' so I could reach the power pole with my plug , it was located on the right side of the rig ,,,wayyyyy on the right side.

Will be sleeping with my feet 4" higher than my head for a while,,,I hear that's good for circulation.

So now , here I sit with power for the laptop and it seems that my new Straighttalk (no contract) 4G Mobile Hotspot is working really well.
It uses Verizon towers.

Tomorrow I'll get an extra water hose cause the spigot is wayyyyyy on the right side too !

Oh yeah , and try to find where my brakes blew out ,,it's supposed to rain ,,,of course. BUT glad that it didn't happen out on the road somewhere.

No mosquitoes yet but the black flies are here and out for blood ....every one I kill now will mean that 1000? will not be born to bite tomorrow !

So , to sum up .....another typical day at a campground ( not built by an RVer) Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Still better than any day at work !
Old 05-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #2232

Freightliner Owners Club
rvpopeye,
Let me guess you have a 2001 to 2007 GM truck. If you do, look between the bottom of the firewall and the ABS unit that sits inside the frame just below the drivers seat. There are a number of companys that make stainless steel brake lines that are prebent for these trucks, you can usually find them for under $300, some are around $200.
Frank
Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #2233

Thanks Frank , will do . It IS a 1981 Chevy G30 chassis. But I don't think it has an ABS system. Anyway I guess I'll find out....
I'll report back what I find.

Replacing all the brake lines would be something to do as not much more work than just one ! Pre bent sounds easy peasy....
I was actually thinking about that job before this happened.
Maybe replacing the fuel lines while I'm in tubing mode too.

My mechanic replaced all the ones on my Class A with tubes that he said were a nickel alloy? That's all he uses because of all the salt they use on the roads up here in the winter.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:02 AM   #2234

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Popeye, Welcome to the campsite . Looks like its going to take some to get situated in your spot, and then have to fix your brake lines, too bad I'm not closer I have all the equipment to make your lines, my shop did alot of them being in the great north"salt"east. We haven't got the black flies here yet or mosquitoes. Frank, those lines are the way to go if you have those trucks don't have to replace again. Rain here today also, so we'll see what gets done today. Have a great day all.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #2235

Freightliner Owners Club
RVPopeye,
If you check on line, there are 3 or 4 tubing companies that make the prebent stainless steel lines, inline tubing , and classic tube are a couple of them off the top of my head , but there are a couple more. You might want to call them, they might have a kit for you. I don't believe your unit will have antilock brakes.
Terry,
I know , had to repair the lines from the master cylinder to the antilock unit, and also from the antilock unit to the front wheels. Then one of the guys from the park, was all hooked up and started to head home and blew the lines on his heading out of the park. Mine blew in a parking lot last fall. We were both lucky that it was not on the road. I'm thinking that I might change mine to the stainless ones when I get home.
Frank
Old 05-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #2236

Thanks Terry and Frank. I have done some work on the outside already, replacing every marker and clearance light which I bought from E-trailer. Great company I must say. The a/c shroud I replaced also as the old one was shot. I will post pictures as soon as I can. My time to work on it is limited since I am still working. Really looking forward to do some camping with it. My grandparents bought it new in 1971 so it has a lot of sentimental value to me. Everyone on this thread of Terry's is great. Really enjoy reading it and keeping up. Thanks again, Bob J in NC
BobJNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #2237

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Frank, we did alot of those model trucks like yours with that ABS pump under the cab, what a pain to get to. Mine included in that. Bob, that makes it all the more satisfying because your camper was in the family. great that you are bring it back, so you can enjoy it. Did some small stuff today, getting ready to start putting in the closets, fresh water tank ect. Have a great night all.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #2238

Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you are starting to get to the nitty gritty Terry, soon you will be doing the shower and plumbing, then it will be a short time to using it. Some of the guys with this model tried to get the NTSB to get GM to issue a recall, but they fell to the pressures of big money and said that it was our responsibility because those of in the salt country didn't wash our vehicles enough, and this caused the brake lines to rust through prematurely( what idiots they are, but I guess that is what they are).
Frank
Old 05-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #2239

Just a point to note -
If you try to make your own Stainless Brake lines, you need to know that even a good Snap-On flaring tool is not good enough to make the double flare without work hardening the seat to the point where they rarely seal. I have a couple of tools that I have bought from Rigid that work well, but together were over $500.
You can use single flare with stainless if you switch over to AN fittings with backer sleeves. Pricey, but they never leak. That's why they're used in aircraft.
Good high quality galvanized mild steel tubing works well with the less expensive flaring tools but as you probably know, will only last ---so long--- before corrosion sets in. Best to use a good undercoating like FluidFilm or Finnigans WaxOyl over all your lines and they are well protected for many years even in the most harsh climate.

Hope this is of some help....
Old 05-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #2240

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Big-Foot, that is why I suggested the prebent stainless lines, that way they are a direct replacement. Some of the companies make 2 pieces for the right front and the long line going to the back.
Frank