Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #2241

I read you 5x5 Frank.. I have bought kits like that and also a three piece kit for a Crew Cab Dually.. Three lines and two unions. Was only trying to point out to the potential budget conscious consumer that making your own stainless lines is sometimes a lot of trouble that you didn't really need..

Sorry for the thread-jacking Terry... Carry on your fine work sir!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #2242

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
No problem Big-Foot, it is always nice to get another opinion, it educates us all.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #2243

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Frank, Like you could get to where some of those lines are (to wash them off), crazy. I'm real nuts over washing the salt off in the winter, if you see my truck it doesn't look like it , until I say it's headed for 300,000 miles, and had only one set of brake lines put on it, and I've seen alot of those series trucks with the frames rotted out over the rear wheels and right behind the left front wheel, we used to do NYS Inspections and we always checked that as part of it. Randy, no problem, its the exchange of info that makes the site worth reading. Oh, we where using a coated brake and fuel line, it was green in color and worked pretty good, my son is still a tech, working in a good shop and they have something else now, but I can't remember what he said.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #2244

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a company up by you Terry, it's called Classic Tube, they make entire kits of brake and fuel lines in stainless, for not a lot of money IMHO, all prebent , the right coils and stainless fittings, they have a catalog you can DL on their site, ClassicTube.com. Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #2245

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Cold and very windy this am, frost warnings tonight. Bobby, That tubing co. looks very good saved it in my favorite's list. it's about 4hrs from me, so not close enough to pick up from but if ordered should get in one day not bad, will keep it in mind if needed . Have a great day all.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #2246

Freightliner Owners Club
It is amazing that these car companies skimp on the safety stuff and just add more glitz and glamor stuff. They put stainless exhaust, but uncoated steel brake lines. They need to get the beancounters out of the drivers seat in these companies and put the car guys back in charge. Ok enough of a rant and rave, Hope the weather is better today Terry, so you can get something done.
Frank
Old 05-20-2015, 07:18 AM   #2247

Welcome to MayVember folks!

Yes, it was 35 degrees here in Hooterville out on my back deck yesterday and a toasty 37 this morning!

Got my new Load-Range G tires in and now have to have them mounted and balanced. I should not have to worry about the triple-axle side scuffing during manuevering for a few years.. Heavy tires at 61# each and probably close to twice the weight of the ST tires coming off the rig.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #2248

Winnebago Owners Club
Frank you say it very well. Makes me wonder when you get on some of the threads where the topic is about capacity. There is a group that are adamant the manufacturers understate the capacity so load and go. Items like the brake system show how little the manufacturers care about our well being. They are willing to play Russian roulette for the bottom line. But that is what it seems the consumer is willing to accept. "It will squawk the tires but stopping may be optional"

Big Foot - we did the same thing for our 5er. Tires have held up well but we are nearing the end of life cycle but still have lots of tread. IMO it is worth the tradeoff as we have had no issues with the tires.

Terry is entering another big production stage. Each piece he and Eleanor add will make a huge difference in the appearance. Exciting times. The only issue could be is planning if a slide installation is being considered for the future. Positioning of tanks, etc may be optimized.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #2249

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Brrrr, Randy, you are so right we just took three steps back as far as temps go, still 39* and real windy makes it feel colder. Frank, I'll be working inside today, there's lots of little things to do, all those things just add up and take alot of time, seems like (to me) that I'm not doing anything, then all of a sudden something big is done. Working on positioning water lines along a wall, so that I could repair or replace easier later if need be and still look ok. then I can install the water pump and fresh water tank which leads to........... Gordon, I keep thinking about a slide, still up in the air but I keep looking at if I was to add one what should I do now to possibly prepare. Only thing I know is not right now .
Old 05-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #2250

Freightliner Owners Club
Big-Foot,
I hope that you included the high pressure steel valve stems, the standart stems won't hold the pressure of the LR G tires and are prone to failure.
Gordon,
Thank you for the vote of confidence, I am one that would rather have a mechanically sound vehicle and really don't care all that much about the glitz and glamor. I don't use the CD player, Don't have GPS or Navigation system, No Satellite radio, but do use satellite TV. I do like the heated leather seats, and tilt steering column, power windows and door locks are nice but not a must. I do like my air ride and Bilstein shocks and the finned aluminum differential cover for cooling. larger exhaust and polished aluminum wheels are another must.
Terry,
The little things add up, and before you know it all those little things become a finished big thing.
Frank
Old 05-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #2251

Freightliner Owners Club
Good Afternoon All,
Well we went to the Tea Plantation, really interesting, and yes I sampled all the wares, both hot and cold. Was surprised about a couple of them, but in the end I still like the plain old standard tea the best, and cold at that. you Clack'ers would love the tea leave combine, it shears the new sprouts off the top of the plants and leaves the main plant to regrow new sprouts, they harvest 4 to 6 times a year. It was cool.
We then stopped at a winery on the same island, also a distillery on the same property, actually just across the walkway. we sampled the wares at both and bought a bunch, on the way home, the skies opened up, and since 2:00 we have had between an inch and 2" of rain. Luckily it let up when we got home so we got back indoors without getting too wet. It was about 90* before it rained, now it is in the mid 70's. So not bad.
Frank
Old 05-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #2252

Gordon - I won't intentionally keep a tire past its sixth birthday... This camper is an 08 and the tires are originals! ((Yikes))!!! Glad we made it home from Nebraska with it!

Terry ... Sounds like a good time!
Tea and beer cold, coffee hot, water any temp is fine... I'm not much for the Designer Teas and Coffees myself... Miller, ODouls, Lipton and Folgers is all I need...

Frank - we're good with brass and high pressure schraders.. 110 PSI is more than I would put behind a rubber stem. I have my own tire machine, but I'll let the boys at the local garage wrestle with these monstahs... They need the beer money more than me.
Besides, I have to pull the springs and pound out the bushings to install new with the wet-bolts...
Old 05-20-2015, 06:29 PM   #2253

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Frank, I use High Pressure valve stems in everything I have, back when I was selling tires there was a big notice on the rubber valves that they had a big failure rate and no way to know which ones they were, so I just started using the High Pressure ones on at least my own. Sounds like a great day trip to the island, my mother and father where big tea drinkers, I still like plain ole tea cold (drink it everyday). Randy, I'm with you, sold my tire machine with the business, now I take it to my sons shop, (much better) Tomorrow I am going to a friends house to flip the axles on his TH, (I'm the welder) and his son does the bull work of taking them out and back in with my supervision, I like that part . Have a great night all.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #2254

Freightliner Owners Club
I had one of those manual tire changers, but the bigger 10 plies, I took to my buddies, to hard to do manually. I also use the screw in valve stems in my vehicles, I never did trust those rubber ones.
As you notice, I liked the plain old tea cold myself. And the coffee regular, not the fancy stuff. with just a little milk or half and half. I try to taste new things when I get the opportunity, you never know when you will find something that you like better, if you never try it.
Frank